• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion GTA 6 Production Reportedly Falling Behind, Rockstar Urges Staff To Return To Office To Avoid Delay

if gta 6 gets delayed to 2026 thats actually gonna be so over for so many devs whos strategy is "pray gta6 revitlises AAA"

Of course, what Rockstar specifically mean here is "Get back in the office where we can force you through 2-3 times the number of hours work a week that anyone would actually agree to".
In today's episode of "the collapse of the AAA games industry"...

It's not like a GTA or rockstar game falling behind and requiring absurd crunch to ship is anything new.

Wasn’t this previously announced? Or at least the RTO part (which would heavily imply they were behind because otherwise why send everyone back into the office?)?

EDIT: Also IIRC, GTA6 has featured heavily into 2K’s financial forecasts so there’s obviously a ton of pressure on folks regarding this title :(

It's Rockstar, return to the office = please crunch.

This isn't new, GTA V was delayed three times or something.

if gta 6 gets delayed to 2026 thats actually gonna be so over for so many devs whos strategy is "pray gta6 revitlises AAA"
Nah it'll be the next 3D Mario BABY!!! That'll revitlise AAA
lebron-james-basket-ball.gif

I swear this topic was already posted here?

edit: ok the falling behind and potential delay stuff is new

Last edited:
They can't and shouldn't scale the projects back. Rockstar should hire more people and give them more time instead.
That isn't realistic, at some point stuff has to come out. Hence why smaller scaled back projects are best that can be done in manageable deadlines. If you want bigger stuff like this to come out, have regular smaller things to support it.

hearing corporations demand their employees return to the office for "productivity" is up there as one of those things that really get my anti-capitalist tendencies sparkin'.

Yeah, years ago I already said it and I'll say it again: Rockstar hasn't changed. Crunch is almost synonymous with them, as is announcing games too early or with overly optimistic release dates, that not only get delayed but also need major crunch to meet even the new date.

They'll crunch if it manages to hit early 2025, they'll crunch if it slips to 2026.

Much like Zelda, GTA always gets delayed. GTA is especially complex and this was always a risk. The crunch and move away from WFH/hyrbid is rough for the workers.

sad if a delay turns to be true

new 3d mario vs GTAVI would be a TGA for centuries 😫 /s

Nintendo would be happy if GTA 6 comes out a year later than Switch 2, that means that the Switch 2 will already (Hopefully) had a great first year and great momentum going into 2026 even though GTA 6 then comes out and grabs the headlines from the Switch 2. But a much better situation for Nintendo than having GTA 6 take some of the spotlight during the Switch 2 launch period. Its ironic that for Sony and Microsoft GTA is seen as salvation, for Nintendo its just a competitor due to its lack of history supporting Nintendo platforms.

I mean this likely hits most productions which is why crunch even exists however I do think they have been too ambitious with the date. Especially if they want to deliver a SP and MP game at the same time.

I, for one, don’t understand why anyone here is even suggesting that Grand Theft Auto VI should be delayed. Like, no. Why should Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactice be penalized for announcing a game over a year before release? Hundreds of people should inconvenience themselves and return to the office because work should hurt and feel bad. If you’re putting your physical and emotional well-being before the financial performance of your employer, you’re being selfish and entitled, tbh.

I’m wishing for a delay just because I want a 3d Mario game to win goty, yes it’s a dumb reason but just give it to me.

I, for one, don’t understand why anyone here is even suggesting that Grand Theft Auto VI should be delayed. Like, no. Why should Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactice be penalized for announcing a game over a year before release? Hundreds of people should inconvenience themselves and return to the office because work should hurt and feel bad. If you’re putting your physical and emotional well-being before the financial performance of your employer, you’re being selfish and entitled, tbh.
Edit: You know what, I can't tell if this is a joke or not, so I'll zip it.

I’m wishing for a delay just because I want a 3d Mario game to win goty, yes it’s a dumb reason but just give it to me.
There isn't even a 3D Mario announced for next year. What a nonsense thing to ask for when Rockstar is prepping to crunch their devs to hell and back.

they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

Nah it'll be the next 3D Mario BABY!!! That'll revitlise AAA
lebron-james-basket-ball.gif
they're going ot look at it as "Nintendo so it doenst count" "Not real AAA, need to cost 300 million dollars"

its like the one budget meme

dril-candle-tweet.png

except candles is realistic hair growth simulation, horse ball shrinking tech. anatomically accurate sweat glands.

useless shit that eats up money that you could lose if they weren't in a how expansive can we make our games contest, when we already know a lot of consumers dont care at all.

I still can't believe, after Rockstar's historical patterns, anyone would have possibly taken that '2025' release teaser at face value.

It would genuinely be more shocking if GTAVI did come out next year.

Alternately the product that will sell tens of millions of copies over the next decade can be delayed without needing staff to be in the office where they can be more easily guilt tripped and threatened into working hours that they aren’t paid for. ‘Video game in danger of delay’ isn’t an important thing.

Last edited:
GTA VI is going to make stupid amounts of money regardless of when it releases, they don't need to crunch.

Alternately the product that will sell tens of millions of copies over the next decade can be delayed without needing to staff to be in the office where they can be more easily guilt tripped and threatened into working hours that they aren’t paid for. ‘Video game in danger of delay’ isn’t an important thing.
But think about the profit value if we keep cost down by crunching and layoff a bunch of people who refuse to return to the office?!

...yeah then delay it. Boom, done.
Idiots. (Buhu the forecast will fall... Public trading is a disease that leads to brain rot of company boards to meet arbitrary targets at the cost of workers and employes)

I personally don’t mind a delay. It’ll give me more time to get through the franchise.

But people shouldn’t delude themselves into thinking that a delay would mean Rockstar wouldn’t crunch. They’ll crunch with or without a delay.

I personally don’t mind a delay. It’ll give me more time to get through the franchise.

But people shouldn’t delude themselves into thinking that a delay would mean Rockstar wouldn’t crunch. They’ll crunch with or without a delay.
Adding onto this: not only would a delay not reduce the crunching, it actually worsens crunch when it's a cultural issue like at Rockstar. The only thing that can truly stop crunch is changes to studio policy. Shame they seem to be backsliding from their improvements post-RDR2.

I feel so bad for the multi billion company who must meet the deadline or else Rockstar will be gone and they won't have any money left :( :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom