• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Gravity Circuit | Review thread

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Niche Gamer (9.5/10)
It’s easy to see the amount of care that went into Gravity Circuit; it’s a fantastic love letter to the Mega Man franchise, it plays very well, has a surprisingly good plot and features some fantastic character designs. I really want to see more of this game in the future, be it in a DLC or sequel.

Digital Chumps (9/10)
Gravity Circuit contains the best parts of the SNES-era of 2D action platforming without the artificial difficulty spikes and frustrations. Its combat is fluid, easy to pick up, and exciting to master. Its pacing ramps up with the player. Its music is a nostalgia bomb of high-energy and synthetic charm. Yes, it’s a short play, but it contains enough content to satisfy most players and get them hooked into using Kai’s hookshot over, over, and over again. If this doesn’t sound like a love letter to retro platforming, I don’t know what will.

Noisy Pixel (9/10)
Gravity Circuit redefines the 2D platforming action genre with attention put on melee action systems that benefit all other aspects of the experience. Your skills are constantly being pushed to the test, but you aren’t allowed to get too comfortable as new abilities are unlocked with ever-changing level gimmicks keeping you on your toes. One look at this game in action, and it’s no surprise that it’s a must-play release of 2023.

NookGaming (9/10)
Gravity Circuit is a damn good time. Although it doesn't really do anything particularly original, it molds concepts taken from its many inspirations in fresh and smart ways. It wears its heart on its sleeve and is better off for doing so. From the moment I first took control of Kai in the tutorial, I knew the game was gonna be something great. After the hours it took to beat it, the game has thoroughly proven me right. It's brisk, immeasurably satisfying, and one of the best platformers I've played all year.

CGMagazine (8.5/10)
Short but packing a hell of a wallop, Gravity Circuit delivers on most of what fans of Mega Man X and Zero would want out of a fast, challenging 2D platformer.

Last edited:
Mega Man X remains one of the purest video game experiences to this day so anything approaching that mark is definitely hype worthy.

If "standard" means "standard quality expected from a Megaman game" then this is more than enough reason to see some hype.
Having played the demo earlier this year, it's way better than a Mega Man game.

It does look like any other 8-bit throwback platformer of its kind at first glance, but where it shines is in the level design. From what I recall, it has more in common with Galaxy 2 or Tropical Freeze than an NES game.

I don't think I heard of this game until I saw this guy's art earlier:

Which is pretty damn good marketing in my book. I added it to my Steam wishlist, will check it out later.

Welp wanted to play this on switch but the publisher thinks LATAM = Brazil, as they are not publishiing in any other country here. That's the second time it happens now (from a different publisher)

Welp wanted to play this on switch but the publisher thinks LATAM = Brazil, as they are not publishiing in any other country here. That's the second time it happens now (from a different publisher)

Cant you ask for a code from another region and acces it through a different account?
It happpwns to my from time to time to receive US only codes even if I am in EU

Cant you ask for a code from another region and acces it through a different account?
It happpwns to my from time to time to receive US only codes even if I am in EU
Oh yeah, it's not an issue for me but it shouldn't be necessary to do extra steps when there is no legit reason to skip the region, just think its shitty publishers decide to skip spanish LATAM because well, they don't care for this market

Having played the demo earlier this year, it's way better than a Mega Man game.

It does look like any other 8-bit throwback platformer of its kind at first glance, but where it shines is in the level design. From what I recall, it has more in common with Galaxy 2 or Tropical Freeze than an NES game.
Intriguing! Could you elaborate?

Intriguing! Could you elaborate?
I could, but um, I get a little carried away...

So most people are probably familiar with how Mario levels usually work, right? Introduce a mechanic and iterate on it, hit the flagpole, onto the next one. This concept has served many games well over the years, though you had better make sure that each mechanic is sufficiently unique and memorable, and to build a detailed and satisfying level around it. It's the difference between getting NSMBWii, the shortest NSMB game, in which many levels still just fall back on "I guess we'll make the ground spin like a wheel" and have huge empty spaces to accommodate for multiplayer, and NSMBU, which operates under the same restrictions yet flourishes. The Donkey Kong Country series works much the same, it's a popular format, one might say it's the basic building blocks of a platformer in general. Alternatives certainly exist, but have mostly fallen out of favor. It's hard to think of a popular 21st century platformer that isn't designed like Mario in this respect, it's such a solid fundamental process that it's just as applicable to something like Zelda even, and has been used in that series as well since Wind Waker.

In Galaxy 2 though, levels have subtly moved away from being built like your standard Mario stage. Galaxy 2 levels are not so much based around a mechanic anymore, but a theme or concept. It's a subtle difference, most of the time, but it can result in levels like Slimy Spring Galaxy, which feels way more at home in Donkey Kong Country than Mario. This was sort of present in the first one, but the levels tended to be a lot less coherent and focused, with it sometimes being obvious that they made some planets and threw them into whatever galaxy had room (Gusty Garden's Gravity Scramble comes to mind). Galaxy 2 is by far the most DKC-like Mario game. The power-ups work as alternate gameplay styles to build a level around like the animal buddies, and setting has become much more of a defining factor for each level. DKC, while it often worked similarly to Mario in practice, didn't always have to. Squawks's Shaft and Rambi Rumble are levels with completely distinct first and second halves, for instance. Not too weird for Galaxy, but past (and future) Mario games wouldn't really do this because each level is meant to be a short, self-contained idea. And mind, neither DKC nor Galaxy 2 are really fundamentally breaking away from how Mario levels are designed, it's more that they're just moving beyond the most basic expression of that concept where the loop of "introduce mechanic > develop mechanic > move on" has to be what defines a level's macro structure.

Take Squizzard's Sandy Sinkhole. The level is about moving sand and fireballs, with a side of crushing hazards. But these ideas are not confined to a singular mechanic. First you have a planet with sand streams that push you along, lit torches, and rings of fireballs to dodge. Next planet, the sand moves against you, which is dangerous because there are enemies everywhere and blocks that slam together to crush you between them. You can get a Fire Flower to throw fireballs and clear out some of the enemies or light a couple torches for a 1-Up. At the climax, it turns more vertical and you need to climb on top of some of the moving blocks to reach higher ground, forcing you to interact with the hazard in a new way. Third planet is a sand slide with Rhomps rolling down to crush you, then it's putting pressure on you to stay centered as it gets narrower and narrower towards the bottom. Lastly you're onto the boss, who is in a pit with sand sliding down towards him and must be defeated by throwing fireballs into his mouth. It allows for levels to be overstuffed with ideas and constantly change up what you're doing, yet it still feels coherent because there's a central concept tying it all together. Each planet here kind of speedruns the basic progression of a Mario level, but without really losing anything in the process, because it's a simple progression that can fit into levels as brief as Mario 3's. First you have a ring of fireballs on solid ground, then on moving sand, then one spinning opposite the last, then two close together going opposite directions, then a whole sequence of those on the sand to cap it off. They didn't cut out all the other playful stuff that makes a Mario level, nor is it especially difficult since they don't push or explore the mechanics any further than they normally would, they just had more confidence, wasted less time. It's what makes Galaxy 2 hands down my favorite Mario game, and I'm doubtful there will ever be one with this kind of confidence again.

While Returns was similar to past DKC games, Tropical Freeze would take this upped variety and run with it. A level would be about alp horns and falling leaves, or a wildfire, or being attacked by a fruit-picking mech, and it would come up with a bunch of different mechanics within that concept. But rather than going from one thing to another, it tends to keep mechanics around for the whole level, combine them, and strive to utilize each one to the fullest extent. Windmill Hills starts out interspersing windmills and rickety platforms, but at the end of the level, there are windmills made of rickety platforms, which combines the ideas and creates a new twist and culmination of difficulty for both of them at the same time. Now the windmill platforms break, and now the rickety platforms are spinning! The level though is otherwise way too long and complicated to describe in the same level of detail I did Squizzard. Even ignoring the various little interruptions and "minigame" breather segments, which are particularly plentiful in this level, there are a lot more instances of each hazard's evolution to discuss when they aren't confined to a singular segment, and going through an overview of one segment at a time doesn't really work because they don't divide as cleanly. It's definitely doing more. With the slower pacing of Galaxy, Tropical Freeze levels don't end up ridiculously longer on average I think, but a slower-paced game that goes for everything Tropical Freeze does can become overwhelming.

Anyway, with Gravity Circuit, it's Tropical Freeze way more than it is Mega Man. Mega Man levels are one of those old styles that aren't built like a Mario game. That cat miniboss in Top Man's stage? You first fight it with the yarn balls it shoots ricocheting off the wall back at you first, forcing you to dodge them from both directions, then again later in the level with them harmlessly bouncing into a pit, in a complete reversal of the logical difficulty curve. Mario shudders at the thought. At least in 2 (I'm not super familiar with most of the others), the levels will not have a lot of unique mechanics despite being on the longer side for their time. In fact, they might not have a central mechanic at all. What is the gimmick of Wood Man's stage? I have no idea, it's kind of forgettable as a result. Instead, the focus is mostly on themed level-specific enemy types, which I don't think are much of a thing in Gravity Circuit.

The Power Plant, which I believe is intended to be the most basic stage since it's the first one in the demo, revolves around three mechanics. There are laser emitters that fire periodically, electric barriers which temporarily retract when you step on a switch, and surfaces that electrify when hit with, uh, electricity. As the level goes on, it combines these mechanics in just about every possible configuration, having them interact not just with the stage layout, but with each other and with the enemies. Many can shoot electric projectiles, which means they're placed just above or below a conductive surface, for an obvious one. The length, secrets (also not really a thing in classic Mega Man), and the way it strives to get the most out of each mechanic and combine the lot together feels very Tropical Freeze to me. It also carries the level's mechanics into the boss fight, which funny enough, pretty much never happens in Mario except for the Galaxy games. So you're fighting the Power Plant boss while their attacks and the ceiling lasers they call down briefly electrify sections of the uneven floor.

I could, but um, I get a little carried away...

So most people are probably familiar with how Mario levels usually work, right? Introduce a mechanic and iterate on it, hit the flagpole, onto the next one. This concept has served many games well over the years, though you had better make sure that each mechanic is sufficiently unique and memorable, and to build a detailed and satisfying level around it. It's the difference between getting NSMBWii, the shortest NSMB game, in which many levels still just fall back on "I guess we'll make the ground spin like a wheel" and have huge empty spaces to accommodate for multiplayer, and NSMBU, which operates under the same restrictions yet flourishes. The Donkey Kong Country series works much the same, it's a popular format, one might say it's the basic building blocks of a platformer in general. Alternatives certainly exist, but have mostly fallen out of favor. It's hard to think of a popular 21st century platformer that isn't designed like Mario in this respect, it's such a solid fundamental process that it's just as applicable to something like Zelda even, and has been used in that series as well since Wind Waker.

In Galaxy 2 though, levels have subtly moved away from being built like your standard Mario stage. Galaxy 2 levels are not so much based around a mechanic anymore, but a theme or concept. It's a subtle difference, most of the time, but it can result in levels like Slimy Spring Galaxy, which feels way more at home in Donkey Kong Country than Mario. This was sort of present in the first one, but the levels tended to be a lot less coherent and focused, with it sometimes being obvious that they made some planets and threw them into whatever galaxy had room (Gusty Garden's Gravity Scramble comes to mind). Galaxy 2 is by far the most DKC-like Mario game. The power-ups work as alternate gameplay styles to build a level around like the animal buddies, and setting has become much more of a defining factor for each level. DKC, while it often worked similarly to Mario in practice, didn't always have to. Squawks's Shaft and Rambi Rumble are levels with completely distinct first and second halves, for instance. Not too weird for Galaxy, but past (and future) Mario games wouldn't really do this because each level is meant to be a short, self-contained idea. And mind, neither DKC nor Galaxy 2 are really fundamentally breaking away from how Mario levels are designed, it's more that they're just moving beyond the most basic expression of that concept where the loop of "introduce mechanic > develop mechanic > move on" has to be what defines a level's macro structure.

Take Squizzard's Sandy Sinkhole. The level is about moving sand and fireballs, with a side of crushing hazards. But these ideas are not confined to a singular mechanic. First you have a planet with sand streams that push you along, lit torches, and rings of fireballs to dodge. Next planet, the sand moves against you, which is dangerous because there are enemies everywhere and blocks that slam together to crush you between them. You can get a Fire Flower to throw fireballs and clear out some of the enemies or light a couple torches for a 1-Up. At the climax, it turns more vertical and you need to climb on top of some of the moving blocks to reach higher ground, forcing you to interact with the hazard in a new way. Third planet is a sand slide with Rhomps rolling down to crush you, then it's putting pressure on you to stay centered as it gets narrower and narrower towards the bottom. Lastly you're onto the boss, who is in a pit with sand sliding down towards him and must be defeated by throwing fireballs into his mouth. It allows for levels to be overstuffed with ideas and constantly change up what you're doing, yet it still feels coherent because there's a central concept tying it all together. Each planet here kind of speedruns the basic progression of a Mario level, but without really losing anything in the process, because it's a simple progression that can fit into levels as brief as Mario 3's. First you have a ring of fireballs on solid ground, then on moving sand, then one spinning opposite the last, then two close together going opposite directions, then a whole sequence of those on the sand to cap it off. They didn't cut out all the other playful stuff that makes a Mario level, nor is it especially difficult since they don't push or explore the mechanics any further than they normally would, they just had more confidence, wasted less time. It's what makes Galaxy 2 hands down my favorite Mario game, and I'm doubtful there will ever be one with this kind of confidence again.

While Returns was similar to past DKC games, Tropical Freeze would take this upped variety and run with it. A level would be about alp horns and falling leaves, or a wildfire, or being attacked by a fruit-picking mech, and it would come up with a bunch of different mechanics within that concept. But rather than going from one thing to another, it tends to keep mechanics around for the whole level, combine them, and strive to utilize each one to the fullest extent. Windmill Hills starts out interspersing windmills and rickety platforms, but at the end of the level, there are windmills made of rickety platforms, which combines the ideas and creates a new twist and culmination of difficulty for both of them at the same time. Now the windmill platforms break, and now the rickety platforms are spinning! The level though is otherwise way too long and complicated to describe in the same level of detail I did Squizzard. Even ignoring the various little interruptions and "minigame" breather segments, which are particularly plentiful in this level, there are a lot more instances of each hazard's evolution to discuss when they aren't confined to a singular segment, and going through an overview of one segment at a time doesn't really work because they don't divide as cleanly. It's definitely doing more. With the slower pacing of Galaxy, Tropical Freeze levels don't end up ridiculously longer on average I think, but a slower-paced game that goes for everything Tropical Freeze does can become overwhelming.

Anyway, with Gravity Circuit, it's Tropical Freeze way more than it is Mega Man. Mega Man levels are one of those old styles that aren't built like a Mario game. That cat miniboss in Top Man's stage? You first fight it with the yarn balls it shoots ricocheting off the wall back at you first, forcing you to dodge them from both directions, then again later in the level with them harmlessly bouncing into a pit, in a complete reversal of the logical difficulty curve. Mario shudders at the thought. At least in 2 (I'm not super familiar with most of the others), the levels will not have a lot of unique mechanics despite being on the longer side for their time. In fact, they might not have a central mechanic at all. What is the gimmick of Wood Man's stage? I have no idea, it's kind of forgettable as a result. Instead, the focus is mostly on themed level-specific enemy types, which I don't think are much of a thing in Gravity Circuit.

The Power Plant, which I believe is intended to be the most basic stage since it's the first one in the demo, revolves around three mechanics. There are laser emitters that fire periodically, electric barriers which temporarily retract when you step on a switch, and surfaces that electrify when hit with, uh, electricity. As the level goes on, it combines these mechanics in just about every possible configuration, having them interact not just with the stage layout, but with each other and with the enemies. Many can shoot electric projectiles, which means they're placed just above or below a conductive surface, for an obvious one. The length, secrets (also not really a thing in classic Mega Man), and the way it strives to get the most out of each mechanic and combine the lot together feels very Tropical Freeze to me. It also carries the level's mechanics into the boss fight, which funny enough, pretty much never happens in Mario except for the Galaxy games. So you're fighting the Power Plant boss while their attacks and the ceiling lasers they call down briefly electrify sections of the uneven floor.
Thanks! So basically you're saying there is a lot of synergy between the themes and challenges featured in each level, and they build up together nicely towards a climax at the boss. Sounds like good game design, and it makes every level unique and memorable.

Just bought the game today, missed the 10% launch discount but oh well, at least I support the developers. Very excited to start this one.

If I'm more interested in platforming than combat, how'd y'all enjoy the platforming itself?
It feels sort of similar to Mega Man X, but with a run button rather than the dash. If you liked the movement in that you'll probably like it here. It's a game with very powerful movement tools, and it asks you to take advantage of that more than you might think. I've only played a few levels but I've already encountered sections where you have to do things like swing under an obstacle and then reattach the grappling hook to the ceiling without falling.

Basic enemies mostly go down in a couple hits from anything, and hitting an enemy—especially many times—without getting hit yourself due to how close range the combat is manages to always be the hardest part of it. I'm not quite sure what to make of the precision involved. I got an ability that extends your range a little, so I'll see how much that helps I suppose.

Maybe there are later Mega Man games that work like this, but so far the game's structure with the hub area and the way ability unlocks work reminds me more of Specter of Torment. You unlock things for purchase by completing specific stages, rather than directly getting the boss's power. You have collectibles that serve as immediate upgrades to health and such, and then the main type which are currency for passive abilities. It's quite similar. Which is fine by me, Specter of Torment rules.

It feels sort of similar to Mega Man X, but with a run button rather than the dash. If you liked the movement in that you'll probably like it here. It's a game with very powerful movement tools, and it asks you to take advantage of that more than you might think. I've only played a few levels but I've already encountered sections where you have to do things like swing under an obstacle and then reattach the grappling hook to the ceiling without falling.

Basic enemies mostly go down in a couple hits from anything, and hitting an enemy—especially many times—without getting hit yourself due to how close range the combat is manages to always be the hardest part of it. I'm not quite sure what to make of the precision involved. I got an ability that extends your range a little, so I'll see how much that helps I suppose.

Maybe there are later Mega Man games that work like this, but so far the game's structure with the hub area and the way ability unlocks work reminds me more of Specter of Torment. You unlock things for purchase by completing specific stages, rather than directly getting the boss's power. You have collectibles that serve as immediate upgrades to health and such, and then the main type which are currency for passive abilities. It's quite similar. Which is fine by me, Specter of Torment rules.
yeah actually this sells me on the game!
hell yeah!

Back
Top Bottom