• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Grasshopper Manufacture Inc. is joining NetEase Games

• Thread starter Deleted member 1250
  • Start date
Grasshopper got to do whatever they wanted at Gung Ho, but I get the feeling they weren't given a lot of money. hope they get better budgets at NetEase while retaining the freedom

Well, if this means better funding for Suda51... I'm up for it.

Hope this doesn't mean things are not going great at GungHo. I actually liked Ninjala and wait for more remasters from them.

neat

hopefully Suda51 finds a stable budget and his new overlords don't interfere with creative decisions

So they have Daisuke Sato, Nagoshi, Suda and Keiichiro Toyama? They have some serious powerhouses. Now, can I get some collabs from all of them?

So they have Daisuke Sato, Nagoshi, Suda and Keiichiro Toyama? They have some serious powerhouses. Now, can I get some collabs from all of them?
Toyama's company is Bokeh, right? IIRC Tencent has invested money in that company, not Netease. But either way, Chinese companies are investing a lot in Japan.

NetEase's Japanese studio has leads from Bandai Namco too and they have investments in Bungie and Quantic Dream. They seem to be trying to tap overseas developers probably because they see China is going to try and crack down on games inside the country.

Yeah, I'm very very skeptical on this. Any acquisitions by companies that are ultimately beholden to oppressive governments is something that puts me right off. I guess I won't be getting whatever the next NMH is.

I wish Nintendo would have done this absolute legend a solid and either bought Grasshopper outright or gave him like more stable funding. I don't trust NetEase that much, but I'll reserve judgment until I see the results of this.

Yeah, I'm very very skeptical on this. Any acquisitions by companies that are ultimately beholden to oppressive governments is something that puts me right off. I guess I won't be getting whatever the next NMH is.

Many of today's video games (and other entertainment products) are outsourced to China and the rest of Asia/world unless they are by a small studio /single developer.

Many of today's video games (and other entertainment products) are outsourced to China and the rest of Asia/world unless they are by a small studio /single developer.

I find it funny how people fearmonger the involvement of Chinese companies in their beloved video game studios not realizing that pretty much every video game studio already has funding from or is partnering with Chinese studio. And it doesn't change anything to the content.

I find it funny how people fearmonger the involvement of Chinese companies in their beloved video game studios not realizing that pretty much every video game studio already has funding from or is partnering with Chinese studio. And it doesn't change anything to the content.
It's not the content that I'm worried about. I just prefer to not support the economy of a regime that actively commits genocide if I can help it

It's not the content that I'm worried about. I just prefer to not support the economy of a regime that actively commits genocide if I can help it

It's fine but I hope you realize it also means not buying Nintendo, Square Enix, Microsoft and PlatinumGames products, amongst many, many others.

It's fine but I hope you realize it also means not buying Nintendo, Square Enix, Microsoft and PlatinumGames products, amongst many, many others.
That's why I said if I can help it. It's unrealistic to stop buying all products that profit the Chinese economy seeing as most companies and people couldn't give less of a shit that they're supporting a regime that is actively committing genocide.

But yes, I try to not support those kinds of things so not buying the next Suda game is a small sacrifice to make. And so is not buying consoles or other products made by literal slaves in Chinese factories.

Back
Top Bottom