• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire trailer (March 2024)

PixelKnight

Observing the process
Pronouns
He/Him

Here's the basic story for the new film: "This latest entry in the MonsterVerse franchise follows up the explosive showdown of Godzilla Vs. Kong with an all-new cinematic adventure, pitting the almighty Kong and the fearsome Godzilla against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world, challenging their very existence — and our own.
"The epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins, and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond, while uncovering the mythic battle that helped forge these extraordinary beings and tied them to humankind forever."
From the looks of the teaser video, which features the skulls of our giant creature heroes, it certainly looks like trouble is afoot. Or even Bigfoot? Nah, he's not really involved in these.
With Rebecca Hall among the cast returning and Dan Stevens, Fala Chen and Rachel House listed in the new recruits, Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire will be in cinemas on 15 March next year.

I have to admit I love a monster film and have pretty low standards- I’m no film buff, I just turn up and want to get lost in the fantastical stuff for a couple hours. I know the other films in the series can be taken apart for various reasons but I just like the spectacle of them.

What does Fami think, any more enthusiasm for Godzilla and Kong pulling an rpg ‘let’s go look at ancient civilisations and some apocalyptic war that’s tied to the present through our ancestors’? Or are we all tuckered out of grumpy wet lizards vs overgrown simian royalty? :)

A nothing trailer.

I'm a sucker for these movies though
Yeah, it’s what they call a ‘title reveal trailer’ I guess, a bit pointless and with the most meagre of visuals that doesn’t really say anything.

I’m a sucker for anything Godzilla too though.

cMjwgfL.png

counterpoint honda also directed "all monsters attack"
That was a decent class-conscious take on latchkey kids in industrialized Japan so I'm not sure it's a good counterpoint.

But yeah it's hard for me to get excited for Legendary's monster movies. After their first Godzilla, most of the creative figures involved have had the dismissive American mindset of "only the monster scenes matter." If they bring in someone like Edwards or del Toro again for the following films, then I'll look forward to it.

That was a decent class-conscious take on latchkey kids in industrialized Japan so I'm not sure it's a good counterpoint.
More so the point is he made the movie to entertain children than to make a statement, which is how I view the monsterverse just with an older audience

I find the MonsterVerse to be enjoyable popcorn movies and really like the creature design, so count me in.

I do wish we'd get another film with a tone like the 2014 film's, but I've kind of made peace with the fact that the MV probably won't be returning to that vibe.

Godzilla vs. Kong, DK having a major presence in the Mario movie and a potential DK spinoff film proves that people are thirsty for gorillas!

• Kong is lost, being punched by his enemy to a pulp -
  • Suddenly , a flaying Godzilla arrives from the sky, saving Kong's life
"Shot to thrill" from AC/DC starts playing
-"We have a Godzilla" says the boring human character -
  • " Kong, now might be a good time for you to get angry" says Baby Mothra
  • "That's my secret Moth, I'm always angry" replies Kong -
  • Kong proceeds to get badly beaten again -

I am still amazed that we somehow went from the grounded, realistic tone of the 2014 film to actual hollow earth nonsense two sequels and a spin off later.

I'm sure other people can overlook it, but to me, hollow earth conspiracy nonsense is dangerous nonsense peddled by cons (often as a way to get people into even more dangerous, alt-right conspiracies) and the fact it got pushed by a Godzilla film of all things is just bizarre and maddening.

I am still amazed that we somehow went from the grounded, realistic tone of the 2014 film to actual hollow earth nonsense two sequels and a spin off later.

I'm sure other people can overlook it, but to me, hollow earth conspiracy nonsense is dangerous nonsense peddled by cons (often as a way to get people into even more dangerous, alt-right conspiracies) and the fact it got pushed by a Godzilla film of all things is just bizarre and maddening.
I think they just did it for the sake of lore and to get the one 2001-esque sequence when the characters go inside the earth, I didn't read it as an endorsement. What I found much more sus was how the second movie had the token Japanese dude nuking himself in order to revive superhero Godzilla, ie. making the nuke into a good thing. It'd be one thing if it were ambiguously presented. but no the movie was very childish with it's "wow cheer for the cool dinosaur he will save the day :)" fanboy tone lol. It doesn't sit right with me that an American production essentially twisted the very first film's ending with such a juvenile approach, but I guess these movies aren't made to be anything but visual effects reels so I can't get too annoyed.

When they did the hollow earth stuff I just presumed it was a homage to A Journey to the Centre of the Earth from Jules Verne. It's a very old trope from a classic story, not really something I'd associate with conspiracy theorists.

Sounds to me like conspiracy theorists are even dumber than previously thought if they genuinely buy theories that are just straight up stolen from books high schoolers read.

I see where you’re coming from re. dumbass conspiracies, it’s something to watch out for. In monster flicks like this though, I think it was more a reference to Jules Verne’s ‘Journey to the Centre of the Earth’ (1864) and Conan-Doyle’s ‘The Lost World’ (1912, which was also then referenced in the Jurassic Park sequel title). So more adventure stories going back to the early days of sci-fi and the idea of then-modern explorers and scientists stumbling into still-uncharted areas full of dinosaurs (as palaeontology was massive at the time). Then later on picked up by adventure films in cinema, like King Kong too.

One of the descendants of the trope is one of my favourite Harryhausen films from when I was a kid, ‘The Valley of Gwangi’ (1969). It’s got cowboys heading into a forbidden valley through a cave or a gap in some rocks that then open up, and capturing an Allosaurus as far as I remember? Haven’t seen it in decades (I’m so old that I had to tape my favourite films on VHS as a kid!) but I loved the stop-motion animation as a boy obsessed with dinosaurs. I always cheered on the monsters :)

Last edited:

I personally love the concept the movies handle....i mean that's on you if you believe this idiotic theory is true no? i mean, you have to be really fucking stupid to believe such things as flat earth or hallow earth. You have to be even more fucking stupid if you start to believe in them after watching this movie.

If you leave the theater thinking "Yeah hallow earth is true and this Godzilla movie reassures me" then believing in hallow earth is the LEAST of your issues.

I personally love the concept the movies handle....i mean that's on you if you believe this idiotic theory is true no? i mean, you have to be really fucking stupid to believe such things as flat earth or hallow earth. You have to be even more fucking stupid if you start to believe in them after watching this movie.

If you leave the theater thinking "Yeah hallow earth is true and this Godzilla movie reassures me" then believing in hallow earth is the LEAST of your issues.
Where did I say that I believe it?

The issue is that things like Flat Earth or Hollow Earth conspiracies are used as a way to lure people into other forms of conspiratorial groupthink, such as QAnon. Any film pushing hollow earth in this day and age needs to be derided for the absolute braindead tosh it is.

It's just bizarre given that the 2014 film was an ostensible return to the original films themes of nuclear destruction, and had a grounded sense of scale and tech. It's like if Christopher Nolan followed up Batman Begins with a film where Batman fights interdimensional lizard people.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Where did I say that I believe it?

The issue is that things like Flat Earth or Hollow Earth conspiracies are used as a way to lure people into other forms of conspiratorial groupthink, such as QAnon. Any film pushing hollow earth in this day and age needs to be derided for the absolute braindead tosh it is.

It's just bizarre given that the 2014 film was an ostensible return to the original films themes of nuclear destruction, and had a grounded sense of scale and tech. It's like if Christopher Nolan followed up Batman Begins with a film where Batman fights interdimensional lizard people.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

And where did i say that i think you believe it?

And why I should take responsibility for other people's shitty/stupid beliefs? should I stop enjoying Kong/Godzilla romp, escapist, summer fun because some idiot in 4chan believes these things to be true?, should we throw Jules Verne's book to the trash because of that? Such a weird take, for a moment I feel in ERA again, I just was not expecting this kind of discussion in a Godzilla + Kong movie thread.

If the director or writer turns out to be a hardcore hollow earther that will change the context of the discussion alright. But in the meantime i don't see why to have this discussion in a thread that is supposed to be fun.

EDIT: Oh and the hollow earth ecosystem is also present and referred to in the 2014 movie and in Skull Island. Aliens are introduced in KotM, so it's not exactly that the series was the poster child of being grounded before GvsK

Last edited:
The MV's use of the Hollow Earth trope largely feels more like Journey to the Center of the Earth than the actual conspiracy theory as has been noted, but I think it's fair to feel skeptical about it given the MV hasn't really been great in the writing department with one, maybe two, exceptions. That GvK had an actual conspiracy theorist protagonist probably isn't doing it any favours, either (2014 did, too, I'll admit, but that character didn't exactly have a podcast or anything like that, which is a detail that I think is worth noting in today's climate).

Going to echo the statement that Serizawa's sacrifice was more questionable. I'm still baffled they actually did that, but then again, KotM 2019 also just treats the Oxygen Destroyer as a comic book superweapon and the MV has largely forgotten about it. To say nothing of Burning Godzilla just becoming a (admittedly very cool) superpowered form. KotM 2019 is a fun movie but the more time passes the more these choices bug me.

I'm sure The New Empire will also be a fun popcorn movie but I do hope they improve the writing. I want to care about the human characters instead of constantly forgetting their names (not to mention that the sequels have mostly killed off the characters I cared about). At least put in some effort since we're going to be spending a lot of the movie with them anyway.

And bring Rodan back. I have no reason for this I just want him back.

Noticed something in the trailer that they started to introduce from the recent episode of Monarch.

hey

listen

stop doing this

Godzilla fans are eating so good.

We got a heavy, viceral, drama using a grounded Godzilla to tell impactful story AND we get "Godzilla turning into a Super Saiyan Rose while teaming with Kong to beat up an even bigger monkey at the center of the earth" at the same time!

I love the duality. It's what the Godzilla franchise has always been, and it's what it should continue to always be.

I dunno about this. Godzilla already beat Kong. He has nothing left to prove! I don't need to see him team up with Kong or anything. I wanna see something new.

Why don't they make a movie out of that comic where he fights the Power Rangers

I feel like the timing of this is a little awkward as Godzilla Minus One just released internationally, and going from the dark and deadly serious tone of Minus One to this campier approach results in tonal whiplash.

That said, I do think it's kinda nice that we can have both solemn apocalyptic Godzilla and over the top monster mash Godzilla; his versatility as a character is one of the reasons he has remained relevant over nearly 70 years, and variety is the spice of life.

don’t get me wrong I am pro godzilla, and um… some kongs

but the franchise mashupification of all things makes me want to eat rocks and call names

especially when you take something like the perfect manifestation of the horrors of nuclear devastation, held contraire to the american superhero boom…

Not gonna lie, I really like how Godzilla looks. Probably will be a fun watch, if nothing else.

But I can't lie that it's occurred to me a lot of the issues I've had with the MonsterVerse seem to originate with Kong. Going back to something closer to G14's tone with Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (it's not 100%, of course, but still close enough) just helped me put it together. The cinematic universe angle was a mistake; to this day the tonal clash between G14 and every other movie still gets me, and now that's happening to Legacy of Monsters too.

I'm a big fan of the cheesy 60's/70's Godzilla movies, so heroic Godzilla and a light-hearted tone aren't the issue for me. I just don't think Godzilla and Kong actually fit well in a shared universe together.

I'm probably more excited for Minus One.

(I don't hate Kong he's cool enough please don't end me)

I thought the first GVK was passable mindless entertainment (I was extremely sick while watching it so some of the finer details of a film with such depth might have passed over me), but I don't have any strong feelings about this. Campy Godzilla is all well and good, but I think the Monsterverse has been a mixed bag.

Certainly though coming out of the incredible Minus One colors my perspective here at least a bit, though.

I already know I will absolutely love this. I love a monster movie and there's more than enough room in my life for thoughtful takes like Minus One and exactly what these are, gimmie both and gimmie more of them. I love how colourful the trailer is!

I dunno about this. Godzilla already beat Kong. He has nothing left to prove!
Well, good thing this movie's not about Kong going for "Round 2", then!

Clearly, it's more shenanigans relating to Hollow Earth, Kong learning more about his roots and still coming into his own power. These are perhaps the most poignant things about this current arc in the Monsterverse, because everybody, including Kong knows after taking the L, knows Goji's the HLIC, and there ain't no changing that.

Well, good thing this movie's not about Kong going for "Round 2", then!

Clearly, it's more shenanigans relating to Hollow Earth, Kong learning more about his roots and still coming into his own power. These are perhaps the most poignant things about this current arc in the Monsterverse, because everybody, including Kong knows after taking the L, knows Goji's the HLIC, and there ain't no changing that.

Who cares about Kong's roots? The only roots I need are two actors in big suits fighting

91FaI1jjFTL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Make it happen, Toho and Toei...

Back
Top Bottom