• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion [Giveaway] Nintendo Direct: Wildlife Watch

meatbag

happiness
The promised June Direct is approaching, and everyone is going to be talking about what will appear there. And I thought maybe some of you would like to play a silly game with me, about making predictions... but not about games, per se.

pngtree-set-of-animals-doodle-isolated-on-white-background-png-image_2155511.jpg

The name of the game: Wildlife Watch
The shiny prize: three winners will each get eShop credit worth 20 USD.

HOW TO PLAY:

1) It's simple-- just type WILDLIFE WATCH, then underneath it, list five animals you think will appear in the Direct! Each correct guess will earn you one point! At my own discretion, I will also award extra points for more specific entries that turn out right-- if you guess "tasselled wobbegong" and that somehow shows up in the Direct, then I'd say that nets you a tidy three points!

WILDLIFE WATCH
1. Cicada
2. Centipede
3. Cockroach
4. Cricket
5. Caterpillar

2) However, I will also be making my own list of six animals, that I will be posting in our staff Discord initially. I will reveal that list after the Direct airs. The importance of that list is that if your guess matches mine (e.g. we both listed "cat"), then you will be down a point instead! Sorry about that in advance.

3) You can only submit one entry. If you change your mind about your list, you have to create a new post. Do NOT simply edit your previous entry, or I will count it as invalid.

4) Oh, and please do NOT put down fictional animals for guesses. No "unicorn" or "Koopa" or "Pikachu", got it? However, any fictional creature that appears in the Direct will qualify as their real world analog. For example, Pikachu would give a point to anyone who guessed "mouse".

That's it! The three people with the highest scores win the prize. If more than three people qualify, the winners will be randomly drawn from them.

I'm planning to keep this thread open to submissions until the Direct is announced. However, if leaks and such spring up, I will close it right then and there. So until then, happy guessing!

P.S. This thread may have or have not been inspired by Bugsnax. Play it, it's gooood.

WILDLIFE WATCH
1. Sabretooth tiger
2. Manta ray
3. White stallion
4. Box jellyfish
5. Tusked boar

These are the predictions that really matter

WILDLIFE WATCH
-Hedgehog (probably of the edgy variety)
-Monkey
-T-Rex
-Spider
-Crow

WILDLIFE WATCH
1. Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus)
2. Tardigrade (Phylum tardigrada)
3. Chinese paddlefish (Psephurus gladius)
4. Three-wattled bellbird (Procnias tricarunculatus)
5. Star-nosed mole (Condylura cristata)

Let's go!

These are the predictions that really matter
We needed more animal appreciation in here

This is really fun!
Cheers!

Honey Badger
1. Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus)
2. Tardigrade (Phylum tardigrada)
3. Chinese paddlefish (Psephurus gladius)
4. Three-wattled bellbird (Procnias tricarunculatus)
5. Star-nosed mole (Condylura cristata)
Copepod plankton
Calling it now, these are worth three points

WILDLIFE WATCH
  1. Tyrannosaurus Rex
  2. Brachiosaurus
  3. Stegosaurus
  4. Triceratops
  5. Pterodactyl

All my eggs are in one basket.

tenor.gif

I am guessing everyone who said "squid" is expecting Splatoon and everyone who said "hedgehod" is expecting Sonic
Actually, speaking of, how are we treating anthropomorphic characters? Like, the Splatoon idols are based on specific species of sealife, but we never really see them straight-up transform into squid/octo mode like the player characters do. Would that still count? Might alter my list if so.

Imagine if a new Zoo Tycoon game gets announced here...

WILDLIFE WATCH
1) Echidna
2) Rhino
3) Mouse
4) Spider
5) Raccoon

Like, the Splatoon idols are based on specific species of sealife, but we never really see them straight-up transform into squid/octo mode like the player characters do.
Great question. I'd say if we never saw them transform into their animal forms, then I cannot reasonably count them as valid guesses.

If you do decide to make a new entry, make sure to make a new post! It would also help if you edit your old one to make it clearer it's no longer your entry.

3. Leucistic Axolotl
4. Suffolk Sheep
Suffolk specifically? Alright, that's gonna be three points apiece.

Imagine if a new Zoo Tycoon game gets announced here...
I was definitely imagining myself watching the Direct, seeing some sort of animal-rearing/zookeeping sim and going "feck I have a lot of points to tally"

Wildlife Watch

1. Orb Weaver Spider
2. Poodle
3. Moon Jellyfish
4. Chiroptera Phyllostomus Desmodus Rotundus
5. That Fucking Owl

damn. too bad Animal Well already had it's moment in a direct...

also for the record I fucking love this

Oh, I like this idea

Very tempting to just go all in on DKC-related animals (gorilla, rhino, crocodile, etc). Gonna have to give this more thought though

WILDLIFE WATCH:
1. Bat
2. Wolf
3. Crow
4. Turtle
5. Chicken

My main two issues with this though is it might cause me to watch the Direct differently like people do that play fantasy football and watch the game.

Also I feel like the 6 animals that are going to cost you points should have just been disclosed and disqualified as choices. Especially since you gave two examples of cat and mouse in the OP, so if those are not on the list of 6 that will feel somewhat like shenanigans.

Last edited:
WILDLIFE WATCH
  1. Tanuki
  2. Fox
  3. Deer
  4. Cat
  5. Human
(These are literally just the fursona species for me, my partner, and our close friends—plus human—rather than some calculated Direct predictions, lol, so I’m not exactly expecting to win anything here. =P)

And yes, I said human—after all, humans are animals, too, and there’s absolutely nothing in the rules that specifies only nonhuman animals are permitted!
This is why it’s always good to specify “nonhuman animals” when you’re talking about animals but excluding humans—plus not doing so feeds into speciesist ideology that humans are something other than animals and are fundamentally different from or superior to other animals.

WILDLIFE WATCH
1. Orangutan
2. Dragonfly
3. Hippopotamus
4. Tiger
5. American Pekin Duck

@meatbag for clarity, would say Pig Ganon count as a guess for ‘Pig’?

that will feel somewhat like shenanigans
I unfortunately have to inform you that this game is, in fact, shenanigans

for clarity, would say Pig Ganon count as a guess for ‘Pig’? Or the Pokémon Kingler count as a guess for ‘Crab’
Yes on both counts. Further comments: someone here guessed “tusked boar” and so if Pig Ganon appeared I would count that and award that member two points. Kingler is a fiddler crab so if someone makes that specific guess, that would also be two points.

WILDLIFE WATCH
Dog, more superficially Husky/Wolf coded.
2. Bird, more specifically a mystical bird of some sort, like a chocobo
3. Cows, very cute cows
4. Cat: very ordinary run of the mill cat.
5. Spiders: Probably spiders that want to eat a human and is huge.

WILDLIFE WATCH
1. Allosaurus
2. Beetle
3. Starfish
4. Horse
5. Coral

EDIT: Disregard this post

Last edited:
The promised June Direct is approaching, and everyone is going to be talking about what will appear there. And I thought maybe some of you would like to play a silly game with me, about making predictions... but not about games, per se.

pngtree-set-of-animals-doodle-isolated-on-white-background-png-image_2155511.jpg

The name of the game: Wildlife Watch
The shiny prize: three winners will each get eShop credit worth 20 USD.

HOW TO PLAY:

1) It's simple-- just type WILDLIFE WATCH, then underneath it, list five animals you think will appear in the Direct! Each correct guess will earn you one point! At my own discretion, I will also award extra points for more specific entries that turn out right-- if you guess "tasselled wobbegong" and that somehow shows up in the Direct, then I'd say that nets you a tidy three points!
now is it 1 point per animal in the direct, or 1 point for every time a new animal shows up in the direct?

This is exactly why I took the risk and put Cat on there anyway
You are a brave soul

The negative points really adds a layer of mind games
Yup! I thought it would drive people to really rack their brains about their choices. Don't overthink though, it's all in good fun!

now is it 1 point per animal in the direct, or 1 point for every time a new animal shows up in the direct?
Only one point per animal in the Direct! I would rather give more points to people who make more specific predictions that somehow hit the mark

Back
Top Bottom