• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion (Gerudo region) Animal Crossing taking place in Desert?

PikminSnezkov

ピクミン ファン
Sav'aaq!

Gerudo region in ToTK is by far my favourite area in the game, as it was in BOTW.

I love everything about it; the characters, the desert, and main & side-quests and overall the atmosphere there.

Fami, do you think there’s a chance the future entry in the Animal Crossing franchise could take place in a desert region?

You’d have a town that has Hot Desert Climate, and also, a chance to go explore snowy mountains nearby.

Sarqso

I would be interested in more varying regions instead of the always local city/woodland/island town setting. It would be nice to have a desert region or maybe a town located in the mountains, a forest town with houses located in the treetops like that one level in DKC.

As much as I like the Animal Crossing settings of the past maybe the future of AC is in differing regions as opposed to City/Island life.

2628097-ever-oasis-nintendo-3ds-front-cover.jpg

(Only half joking)

I would be interested in more varying regions instead of the always local city/woodland/island town setting. It would be nice to have a desert region or maybe a town located in the mountains, a forest town with houses located in the treetops like that one level in DKC.

As much as I like the Animal Crossing settings of the past maybe the future of AC is in differing regions as opposed to City/Island life.
I fully agree with that, great ideas : )

With shorter loading times on the next system (and some quality of life improvements while talking to Dodo airlines staff), I hope for different themed islands as well. Like in Happy home paradise but all islands are customizable.

Or you choose a theme between several.
I would welcome an oriental feeling island.
Love the Gerudo region the most in TotK.
Was not the case in BotW.

Overall I wish more games gave more options for varied biomes/climates, including Animal Crossing, but... with things as they are, this feels like a bit of a monkey's paw situation because a lot of the desert regions we do already get tend to to have problems with racism (and frequently orientalism specifically), including basically every Gerudo appearance throughout Zelda as a series, and I don't think I'd trust Animal Crossing with it.

If they learn from their past mistakes and don't do anything unfortunate with it though I'd love to see it.

I think the very distinct seasons and weather changes that are fundamental to the Animal Crossing games means the settings will largely be in "green" type of areas.

If you played enough of City Folk, that game took place in a desert.

I do think something like this would be pretty interesting. In Happy Home Designer, they messed around with having different locations and climates through a map system. I think something like this could work in a mainline game if, rather than just a town, maybe a whole county/state could be given to the player with many different things you could be unlocking throughout by just playing day to day, having a constant progression system meanwhile allowing for the player to encounter many different regions. Though I think something like that would take away from the charm of Animal Crossing a little bit. However, something with more regions would be more than welcome for me tbh.

I hope not. I need grass and trees. What I'd really like is for them to let you choose what climate you want your village to be set in. I want a winter where it snows all the time and where it rains/storms more during other parts of the year. The majority of winter is just blue skies and storms often last for just an hour or so and then back to blue skies. Others could choose deserts, jungles, etc or just stick with the normal way it's always been. I do want to be able to leave the village and have other different areas to explore, though. I was hoping for something like that in NH but the islands that the Dodos and Kapp'n take you to are a terrible let-down. Also, let me live in a deep forest with tall trees or explore an area like that, at least. A huge deep, dark forest filled with mushrooms, moss, and giant trees.

Last edited:
Various biomes is something I've been wanting for AC for a long time. I was hoping new horizons would be more in depth with the island expeditions, but the islands are so small with so little variety, it's underwhelming.

Sav'aaq!

Gerudo region in ToTK is by far my favourite area in the game, as it was in BOTW.

I love everything about it; the characters, the desert, and main & side-quests and overall the atmosphere there.

Fami, do you think there’s a chance the future entry in the Animal Crossing franchise could take place in a desert region?

You’d have a town that has Hot Desert Climate, and also, a chance to go explore snowy mountains nearby.

Sarqso
Personally: No, no I don't.

I think setting an Animal Crossing game in anything other than "small rural village with lots of trees and grass and several different kinds of bodies of water" is an incredibly bad idea.

In the case of a desert, it's going to be scorching hot most of the time and it’s primarily composed of sand, so you
a- no longer have a visual indication of what season it is, taking away the "watch the seasons pass in real time" aspect of AC,
b) at very best only have some small ponds to catch fish in instead of ponds, rivers and seas
and c) have an incredibly limited amount of insects you can catch as a result of it being set in a desert.

As a result, you've... kind of lost a lot of what defines Animal Crossing, because you've taken the forest out of Animal Forest. Same as if you move AC into a city, or have selectable biomes, or whatever incredibly poorly thought out idea Animal Crossing fandom seems enamoured with this week because they see the series as just "life sim with animals" rather than "game designed to further interpersonal communication". At this point it's basically just an Animal Crossing knockoff that happens to have Animal Crossing characters in it.

I’d like an AC where you can just choose from a wide variety of different types of environments. You can do island life, desert life, forest life, city life, etc.

I’d like an AC where you can just choose from a wide variety of different types of environments. You can do island life, desert life, forest life, city life, etc.
I believe that should be the future of AC going forward.

they see the series as just "life sim with animals" rather than "game designed to further interpersonal communication"
I don't even see it as a life sim anymore and it's especially not the second description. The series feels more like a decorating sim to me now. The villagers are just walking decorations for the village. It definitely doesn't feel like the first two games and I hate that.

Back
Top Bottom