• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Geoff Keighley details The Game Awards 2021 and Beyond

• Thread starter Deleted member 1250
  • Start date
Pretty sure Sephiroth was like the first reveal last year lol
Wasn't that one of the only exciting things on it? I am sure this year will be better but I hope it's a lot better. Then we can see CP77 getting a game of the year nomination so that the internet melts.

Keighley's Final Hours pieces are some of the best games writing out there. He is entertaining and I enjoyed watching his programs growing up.

That said, these shows have a litany of issues, most of them due to being a glorified marketing stunt as opposed to actually celebrating the medium of video games. I'll still watch, of course, I want to see whatever Nintendo is bringing...but I can't say I'm personally excited.

I can see BotW 2 being shown here, only because I don’t see it showing up in the inevitable February/March Direct yet I also don’t think Nintendo will wait until E3 to show it again.

Speaking of BotW, the last time I watched these awards live was the year Miyamoto and Aonuma showed gameplay, but I fell asleep before it even got to that part.
Haha to be fair, that show was REALLY boring! I don't blame you.

I'm ready to stay up absurdly late in my time zone hoping for some kind of Zelda announcement which will likely never happen then regret it at work the next morning. I'll get the coffee in now

I like Keighley personally, the guy has a genuine passion for the industry and video games. Wishing him luck with this years show!

I fully expect to get the Mario movie trailer here. Sing 2 comes out during Christmas so it makes sense.

This is kinda a "On in the background" type thing for me at this point, but I enjoy both the occasional thoughtful segment/award moments or the absolute cringe that can happen when product placement meets the live interactions of guests.

Unfortunately the last couple years have been low on both fronts. Reveals are fine and all, but hopefully this year has a better balance.

I've always thought Geoff gets too much hate. I think he's genuinely passionate with good intentions. Unfortunately, I think corporate cringe is inevitable with an event of this scale.

I've always thought Geoff gets too much hate. I think he's genuinely passionate with good intentions. Unfortunately, I think corporate cringe is inevitable with an event of this scale.
He hypes it because its his show and his job, but if the companies aren't ready to show or just don't want, that's not on him.

Keighley's Final Hours pieces are some of the best games writing out there. He is entertaining and I enjoyed watching his programs growing up.
He did a great retrospective on Maxis for Gamespot way way back in the day around the time of The Sims launch (or shortly after but before Maxis/EA opted to pivot from SimMars to churning out The Sims expansions) which The Wayback Machine archived fully: https://web.archive.org/web/20050404175928/http://www.gamespot.com/features/maxis/index.html

Not happening for me. I respect the shit out of the Pope for being able to do a show of that scale, but I find it impossibly boring. Last year sucked so much ass I was in a sour mood for the rest of that week. I won't get fooled again!

I just hope for 1 or 2 interesting trailers. But the time is really not in favor for us Europeans. I don't think I can stay up all night again this year.

I hope we see BotW2 here. They said we'd hear more about it this year, and this is basically the last chance

I don't think we'll see any recognition for Animal Crossing this year, which is a shame because the DLC is quite good
It'll be disappointing if it's snubbed completely, but I do kinda get that vibe too that the Animal Crossing moment has passed and that it will be. Ah well.

I can predict TGA for 2022 and beyond.

A game with an incredible soundtrack on a Nintendo system will be completely snubbed.

Metroid Prime 1 HD
Zelda BotW 2
Surprise 3rd Party collab ala Bravely Default 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 or just a showing of a third party exclusive like NMH3, MHR

If we're actually doing serious predictions, I'm thinking Resident Evil Outrage and a very short BOTW2 teaser. The only reason I'm predicting the latter is because one of the developers said we'd see it again before the end of the year. I'm thinking a 90 second teaser is the most we'll get, which, if I had to guess, will tease a dungeon and a new landscape and that's pretty much it.

The "lots of 2022 and 2023 stuff" makes me kinda hopeful we can get:
Metroid Prime Remaster (2022)
Metroid Prime 4 reveal teaser(in engine/maybe gameplay glimpse) with a coming soon(releases in 2023)

I dream about the 2023 stuff being things without dates that aim for 2023, or dated for early 2023.
But deep down we all know it'll be like an EA game announced and dated for 2023 and releasing in 2024.

I look forward to the reveal of Third Party Collaboration Nobody Predicted and which people greet with "that's it? Nintendo never do big things at TGA smh" and Zelda or Metroid Prime HD.
I mean I myself didn't expect BDII, MUA3, NMHIII to be revealed there. I kinda thought it's something Nintendo would announce on a random direct.
Chrono Break here we go.

I feel like the third party exclusive that will shine this year is absolutely Resident Evil Outrage tho.
First party game developed by a third party dev I think it's Bayo 3 that makes the most sense, but I doubt they'll show it again in just 3 months.

Now watch them going weird and showing that weird free to play exclusive Star Wars game.

Metaverse let’s go
Persona 5 Royal S for Switch here we go!!!
Also Persona 6 with a "winter 2022" but actually coming in 2025.
Who loved?!?! 😍😍😍

On a serious note, it would be a good opportunity to announce an enhanced port of P5R for Switch as Joker for Smash was there. I might be a fool but I actually believe Persona 6 won't have a long ass reveal-release cycle like 5. Maybe it comes by 2023.

It means that the game is only possible on next-gen consoles, meaning the PS5 and Series X. It’s sad how this expression is still a thing for a few people that are desperate to validate their purchases. When you consider that pretty much all of the 8th generation’s iconic games could run on 7th gen hardware, you know that next-gen doesn’t mean anything nowadays

Anyway I’m done with the VGA after they brought a war criminal last year
War criminal?? Damn, who??

Wasn't that one of the only exciting things on it? I am sure this year will be better but I hope it's a lot better. Then we can see CP77 getting a game of the year nomination so that the internet melts.
I mean iirc he even said last year that it would be nominated this year lol. If it weren't for it releasing literally broken on PS4 and XBO it would be the winner sadly.

Will Animal Crossing: Happy Home Paradise be nominated for Best Family Game or Best Ongoing Game? Both? Neither?
If they consider it and Bowser's Fury new releases, then yeah, best family game. MK8DX was nominated for something in 2017 iirc? Best ongoing game? Nah.
Nintendo games just don't get nominated in this category. Not even Splatoon 2 after Octo Expansion or in 2017 where it got tons of content, or ACNH last year, or Smash, etc.
It's apparently only for full GaaS that never stop receiving content with active player base.
I think this year ACNH would have a shot but with update 2.0 and Happy Home Paradise being announced as last major content update it kills the chance.

Geoff's a hype man so when I will take what he's saying with a pinch of salt. Hopefully people aren't expecting 'true-next gen' stuff from all of the new game announcements which I'm sure some of the internet will take this as.

My main hope for this year is that the majority of the awards don't stay relegated to the pre-show or throwing five winners in a 30 second round up just so they can throw more ads and pointless skits at me. I know what I'd be getting myself into by watching and that ads is pretty much what the show is about but the disrespect that a lot of the A in TGAs have been treated is almost comical.

At least properly showcase the music nominees this year, please...

I don't think we'll see any recognition for Animal Crossing this year, which is a shame because the DLC is quite good
I anticipate a nomination in Best Ongoing Game but nothing outside of that

I forgot, but when do the nominees get announced? I can't remember when the nominees got announced last year, it was a blur.

These shows have slowly been getting better, so I think this show will be good.

Back
Top Bottom