• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Genshin Impact head says staff were extremely upset when accused of copying Zelda: Breath of Wild

No idea about trails battle system but as big fan of Final Fantasy 10 who plays Star Rail.... what? There is NOTHING similiar between the both battle systems except that both games have a timeline which character/enemy acts next. And there are a lot of games that do that.
Well again, it was something that I've only heard and not actually tried, unlike Genshin and Honkai Impact 3rd. But quickly looking at Star Rail gameplay, Ultimates being able to be used at any turn is just like S-Crafts in Trails, and I wouldn't be shocked if it lifts even more things from that series.

If I wanted to iterate on a style or genre I liked or wanted to employ a new rendering technique and got accused of plagiarism, I'd probably be bummed too. It's why I always feel bad for the creators of indie pixel art RPGs when every review of their game begins with "but how does it hold up to FF6 and Chrono Trigger?"

edit: for comparison, I think devs would feel better about it if people received it like they did One Piece Odyssey, where the response was more like "Oh it looks like DQ11! That makes me want to play it!" But the accusation of plagiarism on the other hand is rather serious and having people shout that you instead would certainly feel different. The One Piece game also didn't have people smashing consoles on the floor, that probably changes the way devs feel about the response as well
Yeah I don't know about that guy smashing his console, but Genshin Impact was waaay more blatant than One Piece Odyssey. Did you play Genshin Impact at launch? They even ripped stuff like climbing. They knew exactly what they were doing.

What's dumb ass about patenting your ideas so others have a harder time stealing from your work?

I think Nintendo is going to take a lot of measures in the coming years to make sure people aren't stealing from them and I'm glad for it. As a creative person myself, I abhor the idea of people stealing from the creativity.of others.
Is this a real comment? I wish I didn't read it.

What's dumb ass about patenting your ideas so others have a harder time stealing from your work?

I think Nintendo is going to take a lot of measures in the coming years to make sure people aren't stealing from them and I'm glad for it. As a creative person myself, I abhor the idea of people stealing from the creativity.of others.
Wholeheartedly agree, and I don’t accept that it’s a “slippery slope” at all. There will always be ideas inspired by something else, and using them is fine and well - Nobody is saying not to do that. But there are articles of trust and good faith. I come back to Aonuma saying they wouldn’t copy other developers - This was not him being “up himself”, as some tried to frame it, but rather out of respect for fellow creators, and not far removed from how universities view plagiarism. I do creative work, too, and I also know others who have had to take legal action because they’ve had their designs copied and straight-up stolen. It’s horrible.

Wholeheartedly agree, and I don’t accept that it’s a “slippery slope” at all. There will always be ideas inspired by something else, and using them is fine and well - Nobody is saying not to do that. But there are articles of trust and good faith. I come back to Aonuma saying they wouldn’t copy other developers - This was not him being “up himself”, as some tried to frame it, but rather out of respect for fellow creators, and not far removed from how universities view plagiarism. I do creative work, too, and I also know others who have had to take legal action because they’ve had their designs copied and straight-up stolen. It’s horrible.
You loosen patent requirements, or try to add legal protections to something as vague as an idea, and companies would 100% abuse it. No ifs or buts. The people you talk about who only take inspiration would be sued to hell and back. Anything vaguely resembling anything else will be quashed. The people harmed most will be the little ones who can't fight back. Have fun getting your fanart actioned against if a company doesn't like how you're using their properties. Or your indie game if it's even vaguely an homage. Anything done to try and increase a company like Nintendo's rights to their ideas will have the exact opposite effect of what you think it will.

Patents for gameplay implementations have been a thing for ages (and Nintendo isn't even close to being the worst in this regard). I don't know why it's being brought up in this thread. There's no indication that the patents are due to Genshin Impact nor that they would prevent something like it in the first place.
I'm not entirely sure what some people meant when they said Nintendo should protect aspects of their works from getting stolen, so maybe I misinterpreted, but when you look at Genshin Impact, the part that jumps out at you as a BotW copycat is the art and world design, not the mechanics. While it cribbed a few mechanics too, the big inspiration is the art. So I thought that a couple of people were saying Nintendo should be able to "copyright" the visual direction of the game or something. In which case we would have a lot of games getting filed against lol

But it's the same for patenting ideas imo. I'm far from a patent law aspect, so I definitely don't know the intricacies, but I hope that gameplay patents only allow companies to protect specific implementations (i.e. code), not the mere idea or usage. Like I would think and hope that no one can patent a glider. But then you hear stories like WB patenting the nemesis system and I don't really know anymore

More devs should copy Breath of the Wild. Bring on The Legally Distinct Myth of Hilda.

Is this a real comment? I wish I didn't read it.
Others in this thread have agreed with my stance... as do the laws in place that prevent people from stealing. Perhaps instead of drive-by quips where you take the time to comment on posts you feel aren't worth your time you could elaborate on why you're good with plagiarism?

Last edited:
Given the PS4-destroying event, I would not be surprised if a lot of the criticism went beyond being mad about "plagiarism" into blatant xenophobic hate. I think that would be an understandable reason to be upset. I'm pretty sure everyone noticed the very blatant BotW inspiration, but the game is obviously it's own thing now and very successful, so people still acting like it shouldn't exist is very weird.

Game mechanics shouldn't be patentable. All it does is make the gaming industry worse and invite judges to decide what kind of games people are allowed to make.

Show me anything you've created and I'll show you how you've "stolen" from others.

Game mechanics shouldn't be patentable. All it does is make the gaming industry worse and invite judges to decide what kind of games people are allowed to make.

Show me anything you've created and I'll show you how you've "stolen" from others.
Can you cite me any example where this has ever happened in all of gaming history?

Others in this thread have agreed with my stance... as do the laws in place that prevent people from stealing. Perhaps instead of drive-by quips where you take the time to comment on posts you feel aren't worth your time you could elaborate on why you're good with plagiarism?
don't know how to tell you this but patent laws don't exist for the benefit of consumers

Operating under this line of thought is, quite frankly, an absurdity to me. I'm sorry to be so blunt about that, but everything is derivative, and inspiration is not plagiarism. If Nintendo (or any other corporation) was within legal right to come down on things in the way some would suggest they should be, nobody would be allowed to make Metroidvanias anymore (especially considering the genre has "Metroid" in the name, which Nintendo would surely use to their advantage). Breath of the Wild certainly would've gotten clapped (legally speaking) for its Ubisoft towers, in addition to every other open world trope that fans insist are absent from or de-emphasized in the game, but that whatever relevant corp who "did it first" decides is just close enough to their thing to pursue legal action against. It wasn't good when Warner Bros. patented a gameplay mechanic (Nemesis System), and it'd be equally as not good if Nintendo was allowed to do similar to that degree, in my opinion.
Can you cite me any example where this has ever happened in all of gaming history?

We were deprived of loading screen mini-games for 20 years because of Namco patent-squatting the idea.

If you take the time to watch the video you posted this never stop mini-games from being utilised during loading screens. Developers used their own ingenuity to find ways around the patents. This is how patents generally work. They are meant stop very specific copy-catting but not people borrowing inspiration to create their own spin on said ideas.

don't know how to tell you this but patent laws don't exist for the benefit of consumers
I'm sure there are many thieves out there who would argue that not being allowed to rip-off department stores doesn't benefit them as consumers either, but stealing is stealing and laws exist for a reason.

Last edited:
Software patents, particularly around gameplay concepts, are often on an implementation level. They are about coding. So the "creativity" aspect that you're using to defend Nintendo's honor makes no sense and is just fanboy nonsense to try and play up their innovation and creativity against "imitators". It has nothing to do with "creativity" that would actually be noticeable to consumers in any way, it's just code.

But more than that, some of the patents Nintendo have made for Tears of the Kingdom are general concepts and there's no way that's good for innovation in any way or form. One of the patents is literally about how the loading screen between teleportation shows the user the destination they're coming from and the destination they're teleporting to. Luckily, these kinds of patents usually don't go through, but when they do they're awful.

It probably won't get approved but the fact that it's being defended at all is insane. Frankly people sticking up for giant corporations because they are innovators while also not wanting people to learn from said innovations is disgusting. It stifles innovation and creativity. But hey, what do I know, I clearly don't have the credentials or authority of being a "creative person myself".

Dunno how this topic got derailed but,

the ultimate truth is this, if they see that they can take advantage of the patents they will. Asking them not to is....not going to work. The truth is legislation is the only way to change this and not making angry youtube videos about it.

The thing is that takes more work and lawmakers currently are too busy caring about the president son's **** picks at the moment.

Dunno how this topic got derailed but,

the ultimate truth is this, if they see that they can take advantage of the patents they will. Asking them not to is....not going to work. The truth is legislation is the only way to change this and not making angry youtube videos about it.

The thing is that takes more work and lawmakers currently are too busy caring about the president son's **** picks at the moment.
Yeah, it's become incredibly toxic in here. I'd like to stick around for this discussion but it seems like a lot of people in here are not very well versed on patent laws so I'm going to dip.

I'm sure there are many thieves out there who would argue that not being allowed to rip-off department stores doesn't benefit them as consumers either, but stealing is stealing and laws exist for a reason.
Mostly so wealthy and powerful corporations can exert their influence as they please.

You loosen patent requirements, or try to add legal protections to something as vague as an idea, and companies would 100% abuse it. No ifs or buts. The people you talk about who only take inspiration would be sued to hell and back. Anything vaguely resembling anything else will be quashed. The people harmed most will be the little ones who can't fight back. Have fun getting your fanart actioned against if a company doesn't like how you're using their properties. Or your indie game if it's even vaguely an homage. Anything done to try and increase a company like Nintendo's rights to their ideas will have the exact opposite effect of what you think it will.

Operating under this line of thought is, quite frankly, an absurdity to me. I'm sorry to be so blunt about that, but everything is derivative, and inspiration is not plagiarism. If Nintendo (or any other corporation) was within legal right to come down on things in the way some would suggest they should be, nobody would be allowed to make Metroidvanias anymore (especially considering the genre has "Metroid" in the name, which Nintendo would surely use to their advantage). Breath of the Wild certainly would've gotten clapped (legally speaking) for its Ubisoft towers, in addition to every other open world trope that fans insist are absent from or de-emphasized in the game, but that whatever relevant corp who "did it first" decides is just close enough to their thing to pursue legal action against. It wasn't good when Warner Bros. patented a gameplay mechanic (Nemesis System), and it'd be equally as not good if Nintendo was allowed to do similar to that degree, in my opinion.

Except in the same post, I mentioned the articles of trust and good faith for a reason, while acknowledging that people will always draw inspiration from something, once more, which is fine and well. Nowhere in that post did I say that inspiration and plagiarism were the same. Most creators, of all sizes, understand all of that, then somewhere within it, you have an unwritten code, context, etc. But there are lines between that and stealing/plagiarism, which is also understood. There would be protections against stealing, and protections from obvious patent abuse - Indies would still be able to create their work. Students could write the same essay topic for homework and even draw similar conclusions - a teacher understands that, and nobody is in trouble there, unless they’ve copied each other word for word, or copied a book without crediting the source. The towers example wouldn’t work here, either, because they exist in varying capacities in the real world. They, like many things, could exist in multiple games. In the case of BOTW, they serve entirely different purposes, AND affect the game in different ways in terms of gameplay design, mechanics, and player choices. Many people seem to think it’s as simplistic as serving legal notices because another game has a jump button or a world map or whatever else, when it’s far more complicated - Clearly, that shouldn’t be allowed, and there would be all sorts of protections from that. I also don’t think anybody here would find that acceptable. There’s another relatively new element to this, which is the age of AI - Creators of all sizes have had their work stolen and/or uncredited there, while many others have strong feelings and deep concerns about it. How this might take greater shape within the industry remains to be seen, but it does seem to be another understandable reason why some might look at protections, or seek reassurances. I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m not against the idea or principle of any creators wanting to or trying to protect their creations/work, certain likenesses, source material, etc., and being someone who does creative work, I feel quite sympathetic to that, especially as I know art students and small-time creators who had their work stolen by multi-million chain stores (there is a history of this). But once more, I return to the articles of trust and good faith. So, multi-million companies also wouldn’t be allowed to breach the same articles by engaging in obvious anti-competitive practice.

Except in the same post, I mentioned the articles of trust and good faith for a reason, while acknowledging that people will always draw inspiration from something, once more, which is fine and well. Nowhere in that post did I say that inspiration and plagiarism were the same. Most creators, of all sizes, understand all of that, then somewhere within it, you have an unwritten code, context, etc. But there are lines between that and stealing/plagiarism, which is also understood. There would be protections against stealing, and protections from obvious patent abuse - Indies would still be able to create their work. Students could write the same essay topic for homework and even draw similar conclusions - a teacher understands that, and nobody is in trouble there, unless they’ve copied each other word for word, or copied a book without crediting the source. The towers example wouldn’t work here, either, because they exist in varying capacities in the real world. They, like many things, could exist in multiple games. In the case of BOTW, they serve entirely different purposes, AND affect the game in different ways in terms of gameplay design, mechanics, and player choices. Many people seem to think it’s as simplistic as serving legal notices because another game has a jump button or a world map or whatever else, when it’s far more complicated - Clearly, that shouldn’t be allowed, and there would be all sorts of protections from that. I also don’t think anybody here would find that acceptable. There’s another relatively new element to this, which is the age of AI - Creators of all sizes have had their work stolen and/or uncredited there, while many others have strong feelings and deep concerns about it. How this might take greater shape within the industry remains to be seen, but it does seem to be another understandable reason why some might look at protections, or seek reassurances. I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m not against the idea or principle of any creators wanting to or trying to protect their creations/work, certain likenesses, source material, etc., and being someone who does creative work, I feel quite sympathetic to that, especially as I know art students and small-time creators who had their work stolen by multi-million chain stores (there is a history of this). But once more, I return to the articles of trust and good faith. So, multi-million companies also wouldn’t be allowed to breach the same articles by engaging in obvious anti-competitive practice.
Now that you've elaborated to this extent, I feel your perspective is largely pretty reasonable. I still have a couple reservations, but I understand where you're coming from, and I'm comfortable leaving it at that.

Well this topic went truly off the rails...

Anyone care to explain to me how we went from developers copying art and asset design from another game, to litigating over patent law and whether laws are a tool of the bourgeoisie? Because I feel like there is a discussion to be had about where the line is that developers stop being inspired by the visuals of something else and cross over into ripping off other developers work, but we're not going to have that discussion if people are determined to drive the discussion off a cliff instead.

As an example of inspiration vs plagiarism, Wind Waker actually takes a lot of visual cues from an old film called The Little Prince And The Eight Headed Dragon:

MV5BNmE4YjVhYTUtZWQ0Yi00ZDAyLWE0NDMtYWFlYjkwYzZjNzhiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMwOTY2NTI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Now, I love Wind Waker, but I have to admit that reading up on the above film makes me a little uncomfortable with how closely Nintendo skewed to it's designs. Especially as the original concept art for Wind Waker did have different styles of Link, whereas the one we got in the game has pretty much an identical face to the above design.

Other films and series have been inspired by The Little Prince without hewing quite so closely to its character designs, so I do wish Nintendo had been able to display more originality here.

BotW is a much better example of being inspired by something (Mononoke) without taking designs directly from it

Very well said. Thank you for adding some context and sanity to this discussion.

Very well said. Thank you for adding some context and sanity to this discussion.
I don't think anyone disagrees with the idea in principle. The problem is where you draw the line. Corporations abuse loopholes all the time because laws are really complicated. Trusting companies to uphold good faith is a losing battle.

Back
Top Bottom