• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Garry's Mod is removing all Nintendo related Steam Workshop uploads due to takedowns (Update 3: who knows anymore)

It seems that this situation has not yet occurred widely in Europe and America, where many mobile game companies in China pay authors to combine their own IPs with products from other companies for marketing.
At this point, fan products have become a form of defense, and in fact, many authors have no knowledge of other IPs.
Nintendo may be preventing similar behavior.
Once again, this behavior is very common.
And there is a large amount of leakage on the surface of the financial transactions between these authors and mobile game companies, and their products are also very formulaic.

I feel regardless of who actually issues the content takedowns, we can all agree that the current DMCA system is quite busted when it both allows for a copyright troll to arbitrarily end fan content like this, and a corporation to arbitrarily end fan content like this.

Don't let your bias for/against Nintendo distract you from the actual problem here.

Only one point, no one can use characters from other company without permission. It is not about creative, its about copyright.

I feel regardless of who actually issues the content takedowns, we can all agree that the current DMCA system is quite busted when it both allows for a copyright troll to arbitrarily end fan content like this, and a corporation to arbitrarily end fan content like this.

Don't let your bias for/against Nintendo distract you from the actual problem here.
Yep, these copyright laws need to be changed. Especially the US has these pro corporate laws that enable things like this that even trolls can potentially abuse.

The fact that we can't know for sure if someone is trolling or if it's genuine Nintendo says a lot about Nintendo themselves, in my opinion.

Why hasn't a news site like Kotaku or Nintendo Life or like any journalist reached out to Nintendo for comment?
Even if Nintendo commented on it, it is probably a bad idea to bring to their attention if it's fake.

As one post in the other site said.

"Garry: Hey is this take down of these 20 year old game assets real?

Nintendo: ...Not yet."

I’m not sure if anyone else has brought this up here, but aren’t they just removing them from the Steam Workshop? I used to mod Gmod all the time and I only played it before Workshop was a thing. Surely you can still add mods the old fashioned way and these mods won’t be lost forever.

Back
Top Bottom