• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Garry's Mod is removing all Nintendo related Steam Workshop uploads due to takedowns (Update 3: who knows anymore)

I’m surprised how lenient Valve is, because first the dolphin emulator, some N64 demake and now this.

Like I would expect Valve to be like ,, Nah Nintendo, you can’t do shit’’
But instead they’ve been extremely compliant.

8nwwmd.jpg

I’m surprised how lenient Valve is, because first the dolphin emulator, some N64 demake and now this.

what can valve do? in this case nintendo CAN do shit if valve or any other dev refuses to pull unauthorized content using their IP on steam.

Between this and the Fortnite thing, Nintendo is kind of kneecapping themselves with kids long term. It's not really a problem at the moment, but it's definitely at odds with how kids come into contact with a lot of IP and content.

I mean they've been as clear as they can be on this subject. They don't want other people profiting from their ips and they don't want other people using their ips in a way that would damage how they're perceived.

Possible troll New
It's possible that this may be a troll/fraud?

TL;DR Nintendo has no involvement in this situation and it is actually a copyright troll known as "Aaron Peters".

Exactly as the title says. Several Nintendo-related mods are being flagged with DMCA claims and some of these attempts were successful on some notable mods (Such as Apoc Hedgie's Mario ragdolls pack and Super Mario Odyssey pack).

Just recently, several other mods were flagged with DMCA claims. However, this is not Nintendo's doing as Apoc Hedgie and Brewster T. Koopa have said that they have not been given emails regarding this, so it's safe to say that it's either a glitch or someone is falsely flagging Nintendo-related mods with DMCA claims. The latter of which seems to be the case as we can see here.

If you own any Nintendo-related mods, it is highly recommended that you have them unlisted to avoid getting a DMCA claim. For those of you who have subscribed to any of the aforementioned mods and said mods were removed, you can archive them onto your computer by extracting the .GMA files in the "addons" folder or in the workshop folder.

I also want to make a disclaimer that I am NOT in any way experienced in modding and will NOT reupload any mods removed from the Workshop out of respect for the creators.

One last thing: PLEASE DO NOT HARASS OR GO AFTER ANYONE! And please for the love of god do NOT attempt any act of vigilantism. Two wrongs do not make a right and I do not support nor endorse harassment, witch-hunting, or doxxing. The whole point of this post is to raise awareness.

Out of respect for the authors of the mods in question, please don't reupload the mods until the problem has been resolved.

Hopefully the situation will blow over, but then again, it's unlikely.

EDIT 1: We identified the culprit behind the fraudulent DMCA claims. Several mods for a game called Fraymakers were taken down in a similar fashion. Crispy Toast also made a video with a comment telling him that the one responsible is Aaron Peters.

EDIT 2: I have come with great news! Some good people in the community managed to archive the mods that were taken down (Most of them anyway). The link to the Google drives will be added below. Kudos to the people who made them.

EDIT 3: This will probably be the last edit because I lost hope. We have a direct confirmation from Brewster T. Koopa that the fraudster is indeed Aaron Peters (Possibly a fake identity to throw us off) after more of his mods were given fraudulent DMCA claims. Valve refuses to act on the situation and would rather count money than help with the community. At this point, we can't really do anything about it. I won't comment any more on this post and will now only focus on adding links of Googles drives or anything similar. I'm done.

hopefully that's the case, cause otherwise it's one of the dumbest things Nintendo has done

they say it's Nintendo themselves, could the Gary Mod creators themselves have been fooled by this?

Would be odd to have both real and fake DMCA claims at the same time though

Fortnite I'll give you, but G-Mod? Are the kids really playing G-Mod?
Yes, and G-mod is used to produce a lot of YouTube content aimed at younger kids. Given how dramatically tablets and smartphones have taken over that demographic, it would be shortsighted if Nintendo is actually doing this.

Yeah, I have a friend who does a lot with gmod and my understanding is that this guy’s been giving them trouble for months by pretending to be Nintendo.

Wouldn't Facepunch know if it's legit or not?

Copywrite law (or at least US copywrite law) is a lot stricter than the typical forum-goer seems to realize. A lot of things that are generally believed to be fine - if not outright legal - are very much not allowed by the letter of the law as written, even if said law has stayed untested by the actual courts. (Not getting more specific here to avoid in-depth piracy debates.)

You might view the fact that Nintendo hasn't tested this stuff in courts as a sign that they're not actually serious, but in reality a large corporation violating copywrite law is exactly the kind of thing Nintendo would be willing to bring to court, as corporations could actually pay for the alleged damages if Nintendo won (as opposed to going after individual users downloading ROMs, which would never happen). Valve has far more to lose to an unfavorable ruling (and decent reason to doubt a favorable one) than they have to gain by leaving these things up, which is why they comply.

This is from February. I think maybe the original takedowns were a result of a troll but the current request is from Nintendo as the update with today’s date says. So I think the title needs to be changed again.

I mean, it makes some sense. GMod stuff that's Nintendo related is more often than not using ripped game models to do so. Converting between model formats isn't the most difficult thing and the hardest thing to actually do is having to fix up the skeleton afterwards (speaking as someone who privately has rejigged models up for some personal SFM goofery).

Even putting aside general Mario IP copyright, there's basically no difference with pirating something.

Valve has far more to lose to an unfavorable ruling (and decent reason to doubt a favorable one) than they have to gain by leaving these things up, which is why they comply.
Not just that; Valve literally isn't allowed to fight this unless they want to risk being held liable. The DMCA gives them a "safe harbor" as long as they comply with some basic rules, one of which is that they must respond to any correctly filed DMCA takedown. Not complying means they risk losing the safe harbor protections.

Note that correctly filed doesn't necessarily mean the takedown is even done by someone who has the rights to do it. It just means the form was correctly filled out.

In either case, it did end up originating from Nintendo, so c'est la vie.

EDIT: Actually it seems a racist video involving Mario models in GMod might have gone viral? That's one way to get a company to go scorched earth on fan creations.

nah it's definitely not understandable and justified
Think of it this way: Let’s say you created an original game with original characters and are actively selling the game. One day you notice that some people are modding your characters into another game without any consent from you and attempting to replicate the gameplay of your game. Would you be justified in asking the modders to stop using your characters without your consent?

I mean, it makes some sense. GMod stuff that's Nintendo related is more often than not using ripped game models to do so. Converting between model formats isn't the most difficult thing and the hardest thing to actually do is having to fix up the skeleton afterwards (speaking as someone who privately has rejigged models up for some personal SFM goofery).

Even putting aside general Mario IP copyright, there's basically no difference with pirating something.

Not just that; Valve literally isn't allowed to fight this unless they want to risk being held liable. The DMCA gives them a "safe harbor" as long as they comply with some basic rules, one of which is that they must respond to any correctly filed DMCA takedown. Not complying means they risk losing the safe harbor protections.

Note that correctly filed doesn't necessarily mean the takedown is even done by someone who has the rights to do it. It just means the form was correctly filled out.

In either case, it did end up originating from Nintendo, so c'est la vie.

EDIT: Actually it seems a racist video involving Mario models in GMod might have gone viral? That's one way to get a company to go scorched earth on fan creations.
wait do we know that it came from them beyond the first post? I think the big problem is if it is a fake and they did contact the real Nintendo, of course they are gonna say to take them down

Think of it this way: Let’s say you created an original game with original characters and are actively selling the game. One day you notice that some people are modding your characters into another game without any consent from you and attempting to replicate the gameplay of your game. Would you be justified in asking the modders to stop using your characters without your consent?
people aren't recreating modern Zelda or Mario games in fucking Gmod, come on.

and to answer your question, yeah. i'd even upload the models for use myself!

wait do we know that it came form them beyond the first post?
The GMod News page is controlled by Facepunch. If they say it's Nintendo issuing the takedowns, I'm inclined to believe them. Unfortunately without seeing the actual text of the takedown, I can't 100% confirm if it's NOAs lawyers or not, but Facepunch have no reason to lie about this. For some reason people are screaming it's a troll but I've seen no evidence to prove this besides huffing heavy copium that "Nintendo wouldn't do this after 15 years".

Just because you want it to be a troll doesn't mean it is a troll.

people aren't recreating modern Zelda or Mario games in fucking Gmod, come on.

and to answer your question, yeah. i'd even upload the models for use myself!
I wasnt asking if you personally would be ok with the mods, I was asking if you would be justified in asking for their removal if you decided you didn’t want them made.

The GMod News page is controlled by Facepunch. If they say it's Nintendo issuing the takedowns, I'm inclined to believe them. Unfortunately without seeing the actual text of the takedown, I can't 100% confirm if it's NOAs lawyers or not, but Facepunch have no reason to lie about this. For some reason people are screaming it's a troll but I've seen no evidence to prove this besides huffing heavy copium that "Nintendo wouldn't do this after 15 years".

Just because you want it to be a troll doesn't mean it is a troll.
I mean...the fact that fake DMCAs have been happening for months isn't exactly "copium". Less so lying and moreso the fact that they fell for it

Actually the most insidious part is IF it's fake but they contact Nintendo to confirm it, Nintendo would still probably want it taken down

I mean...the fact that fake DMCAs have been happening for months isn't exactly "copium". Less so lying and moreso the fact that they fell for it

Actually the most insidious part is IF it's fake but they contact Nintendo to confirm it, Nintendo would still probably want it taken down
Welcome to copyright hell. Shit's fucking dire.

And I still haven't seen any evidence that it's not Nintendo besides people really wanting it to be a fraudster (and mind you, I've seen this on every major takedown Nintendo has done in the past few years). You can usually confirm the legitimacy of a DMCA takedown pretty easily by looking who issued it (Nintendo is pretty consistent in what legal companies they hire; a while ago they used Wildwood, but it seems they stopped using them somewhere in the past 2 years) but for some reason people aren't forthcoming with the actual text of the takedown.

That makes me think that the takedowns were issued to Facepunch instead, who will most likely have verified this before making this post.

People convincing themselves this is definitely a copyright troll because some emails don't line up with the usual public emails not from the legal department is giving me a lot of flashbacks.
GilvaSunner.jpg

(Not saying it couldn't be, but I don't really doubt that this could be real)

People convincing themselves this is definitely a copyright troll because some emails don't line up with the usual public emails not from the legal department is giving me a lot of flashbacks.
GilvaSunner.jpg

(Not saying it couldn't be, but I don't really doubt that this could be real)

When Nintendo is involved people go beyond giving them the benefit of a doubt lol

Back
Top Bottom