• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Gaming's Greatest Fools (Please Read OP)

ngpdrew

From the Rafters
Pronouns
He/Him
April Fools' Day as it is, uh, "celebrated" is a bore. What was once a day of amusing gags has devolved into an escalating series of lies told with an annoying smirk that would make even the most optimistic soul lose faith in humanity. But you know what? We don't have to accept it! We can Defy Destiny (TM) and rewrite the script by turning this unholy day spent worshipping at the altar of falsehoods into one that rejoices in the most amusing goofs the industry has ever seen. With our combined efforts, we can make April Fools' Day into April Fool's Day!

I'm not sure that works grammatically.

I'll begin!

LOUIE (Pikmin 2 & Pikmin 4)

FgNC9q7WQAAJdFV

The beginning of Pikmin 2 sees the first game's protagonist, Olimar, return to his home planet after surviving 30 (or less!) days on PNF-404. A happy reunion quickly unravels when the President of Hocotate Freight, Olimar's employer, reveals that the company is in massive debt. The cause of the financial deficit? Allegedly, another employee, Louie, was attacked on his most recent mission, losing valuable gold carrots that cost the organization thousands of Pokos. I say allegedly because the game's true ending reveals that it was Louie's appetite run wild that landed Hocotate Freight in dire straits.

Prior to that revelation, the game spends ample time developing the fact that Louie is kind of an idiot. He is led around by his stomach instead of his brain, and in the game's first ending he ends up stranded on PNF-404 where he eventually becomes a puppet for the planet's fauna.

Pikmin 4 takes a lot of liberties with the events of Pikmin 2, but the one consistent element is that Louie is just kind of an idiot that nobody really likes.

___

For my money, Louie is a first ballot inductee in the Fool Hall of Fame. Who would you have join him on this, April Fool's Day?

Please stick to fictional characters from video games! This is not the place to dunk on industry figures, nor is it the place to poke fun at your peers on Famiboards. You can make fun of me, though, if you so desire.

It may have been like ten years since Brawl in the Family ended (...oh my god), but April Fools is still Waluigi Time.

Waluigi_2021_Nintendo_Minute_Artwork.png

He is a man who needs no introduction. His petty and mildly villainous antics have charmed many, and been tolerated by countless more. And truly, what better character to embody the archetype of Fool than one who continually makes fools out of all of his fans, who hope that he will ever amount to anything more than his crowning achievement of checks notes being the final boss of Mario Party 3?

Some quintessential gaming fools listed so far, but I feel I must post Tingle.

R.75c19b4cf1b0f2bfc51bc0ee2fc76cad

Originally the oddball son of a tourist attraction operator, who helped where he could by selling maps as he searched for fairies, all in a parallel universe, this fool has somehow made himself a cornerstone of the Zelda continuity, appearing in different eras and timelines, and even his own spinoff games! He's suffered some backlash for his strange manner and penchant for draining Link of his Rupees, but this fool has endeared himself to me and many others over the years!

Larry Butz from Ace Attorney seems like a good pick here. If your reputation of foolery earns you a repeated saying like “when something smells, it’s usually the Butz” you gotta be up there.

You can make fun of me, though, if you so desire.
Finally my time has come :)

My favorite kinds of fools are the characters who can both embarrass themselves and others while still being able to be surprisingly competent. Will suggest Olivier from the Trails saga.

glassjoe060413.jpg

Glass Joe is one of the greatest examples of an admirable fool out there. Despite having no skill in the boxing ring, he still shows up to work. 99 times he got knocked down, such is the life of a tin can. He exists to prop up others. But he doesn't accept that fate and keeps showing up because...hey, you never know, this could be the fight where it all turns around.

Through sheer dumb luck this king among fools scored one victory. The victory in question was over Nick Bruiser, one of the best fighters in the world. Most would call it a career here. He didn't end things after his first win against an actually competent fighter, he persisted. He chased that dream one more time. Just to get socked in the face by Mac and slapped back to reality.

We are all Glass Joe. We get knocked down 99 times but that one victory makes it all worth it. A king among fools.

mshvssf-hc-dan.png

No list of gaming fools is complete without Dan Hibiki.
I wanted him in Smash so badly, specifically as a joke character that is absurdly low tier. But you can't be expected to pay for DLC of a gimmick like that, so when the base roster came and went with no Dan...I was very sad my delusional wish wasn't granted.

Kasuga Ichiban.
I mean, the whole Dragon Quest thing and mobs transforming into stereotype bad guys is in his head (not a spoiler, the game tells you right when it happens) !

what-are-your-thoughts-on-ichiban-kasuga-v0-ef840md7iulb1.jpg

Larry Butz from Ace Attorney seems like a good pick here. If your reputation of foolery earns you a repeated saying like “when something smells, it’s usually the Butz” you gotta be up there.

mshvssf-hc-dan.png

No list of gaming fools is complete without Dan Hibiki.
These are some fantastic fools! When I was brainstorming this thread, these two came to mind. I have fond memories of my brother getting good enough with Dan to beat some of his friends, and who doesn't love Larry Butz?

I'm going to go ahead and add another entrant I originally planned for the OP before getting lazy about it:

Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX)
Fr4DoWkaQAEN_kM.jpg:large

Steiner is notable for his unflinching loyalty to the royal family of Alexandria; it takes several in-game hours for him to wake up and realize that Queen Brahne is bad, actually! Steiner remains a fool for the duration of Final Fantasy IX, but he becomes a likable fool once he stops caping for the monarchy and starts being genuinely invested in the wellbeing of Princess Garnet. Also, he is an undeniable asset for the party. By the end of the game, a trance sees him go off with 9,999 damage move after 9,999 damage move.

fDOtQq4.jpeg

they call it the Legend of Groose for a reason

This guy in all his various incarnations:

patches.jpg

(Patches from most of From's modern releases)

The dude's entire MO is to trick you. Usually by kicking you into a hole, then pleading forgiveness when you inevitably make it back up. His shenanigans are such a constant in From's games that, in Dark Souls 3's DLC, he is one of the last-remaining sane beings at the end of everything. When the world is literally just an amalgamated mash-up of decayed civilizations, he is still there. Purely based on the power of being so unserious that all the world's endless despair can't get to him.

Then, when he shows up in Elden Ring, you can summon him for the big Radahn fight... only for him to take one look at the guy and peace out immediately. He knows that everyone else is a fool for even trying, so why try himself when he can just get back to some low-level scheme?

Kasuga Ichiban.
I mean, the whole Dragon Quest thing and mobs transforming into stereotype bad guys is in his head (not a spoiler, the game tells you right when it happens) !

what-are-your-thoughts-on-ichiban-kasuga-v0-ef840md7iulb1.jpg
it goes deeper than that, actually. consider the officially translated lyrics to “Baka Mitai”.
I've been a fool, and you've been childish
You fell down, you got hurt chasing sweeter dreams
Never could hide the truth in your eyes
That's how I knew that smile was a lie
with the characters allowed to sing it, that makes for four fools in total.

glassjoe060413.jpg

Glass Joe is one of the greatest examples of an admirable fool out there. Despite having no skill in the boxing ring, he still shows up to work. 99 times he got knocked down, such is the life of a tin can. He exists to prop up others. But he doesn't accept that fate and keeps showing up because...hey, you never know, this could be the fight where it all turns around.

Through sheer dumb luck this king among fools scored one victory. The victory in question was over Nick Bruiser, one of the best fighters in the world. Most would call it a career here. He didn't end things after his first win against an actually competent fighter, he persisted. He chased that dream one more time. Just to get socked in the face by Mac and slapped back to reality.

We are all Glass Joe. We get knocked down 99 times but that one victory makes it all worth it. A king among fools.

A glass cannon with no cannonballs

Back
Top Bottom