• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Games where you ended up feeling bad for the villain. Even if just a little (Mega spoilers for games, enter at own risk)

DecoReturns

Memento Mori
“A long time ago, I seemed to recall seeing a very similar scene”

tdlfHb.jpg

td12yb.jpg

tdlCDQ.jpg

td1Fuj.jpg

Mithrix, permanently trapped on the moon of Petrichor V by his own brother because of petty disagreements over creatures on the planet. You only fight him because his energy creates a forcefield around a rescue ship you need to escape the planet.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

Darth Malak from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. For a character that spends the entirety of the game being almost cartoonishly evil, his final moments can be rather sad, especially if defeated by a light side main character.

He essentially realizes that he was wrong regarding pretty much everything, that he was never meant for the power and greatness that he craved and that it was only because of his poor judgment that he found himself beyond any shot at redemption. His last line before dying sums it up: "In the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing".

Maruki, big time. After spending the entire base game with pretty much no villain who's sympathetic at all (unless maybe you count Sai) Maruki is so, so good. His reasons for doing what he does are very relatable, he has a ton of good intentions, and he's just... a nice guy. To the point I'm not even sure he's a villain, just an antaganist who goes too far. If that's even a distinction.

Lusamine is an interesting case. While she's a horrific manipulator and abusive to her children, she's also essentially a drug addict who can't see beyond getting her next fix of Nihilego's neurotoxins. While her actions endanger the region, it's more that she doesn't care what happens rather than being actively destructive. Confronting her at the end of the game is akin to staging an intervention, just with Pokemon battles.

Ironically, while she's not really a villain in Ultra Sun/Moon, she's arguably much less sympathetic as her actions there (still disowning her children, nearly killing Nebby) are entirely her own, with the only sympathetic point in her favour being that she's grieving the loss of her husband and out for revenge.

Quite a few of the Yakuza/Judgment games fit the bill. RGG has mastered the sympathetic antagonist.
I tried really hard to play those games cause I like the setting. But man, is the gameplay boring. Even like a dragon is painfully boring, tho probably will have a great sequel if they improve the turn base.

I do enjoying watching a no commentary playthough tho. Yakuza 0 was pretty cool. Still need to catch up on the others. And finish Like a Dragon finally.

tdlfHb.jpg

td12yb.jpg

tdlCDQ.jpg

td1Fuj.jpg
Well, you posted the same character I thought, so I’ll just quote you :)

I cried because of this cutscene. Him just longing for his mother’s embrace in the end…

I will say I felt a little bad for Ganondorf in Wind Waker. He aint a good guy by any means but some of his goals were noble

tdlfHb.jpg

td12yb.jpg

tdlCDQ.jpg

td1Fuj.jpg
Amalthus is such a fantastic villain. I know Jin and Malos get the most attention (and are sympathetic and compelling in their own ways) but Amalthus is the one who best embodies the game’s themes of the nature and complexity of humanity.

Back
Top Bottom