• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Gameinformer reveals readers greatest game of all time (over 200,000 votes)

beej

Octorok

Game Informer Readers​

Winner Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Runners up skyrim

3rd Red dead Redemption 2 and Last of Us

bracket_winner.jpg

I'm already on the record as a Red Dead 2 hater, but looking at the games it beat out to get that far just makes me question it's fans' tastes even more

Actually, the more I look at the bracket, the more I think gamers just have terrible takes. Portal 2's good, but better than Super Metroid? Last of Us beating Portal 2 and Breath of the Wild?

Skyrim and OoT are like the only ones where I feel like their path to the finals actually makes sense

Surprised it wasn’t BotW as number 1, still not bad.

I'm already on the record as a Red Dead 2 hater, but looking at the games it beat out to get that far just makes me question it's fans' tastes even more

Actually, the more I look at the bracket, the more I think gamers just have terrible takes. Portal 2's good, but better than Super Metroid? Last of Us beating Portal 2 and Breath of the Wild?

Skyrim and OoT are like the only ones where I feel like their path to the finals actually makes sense
It’s very much a ‘played a lot of PS360 games’ list. But hey, it’s not like there’s anything here that hasn’t been on shitloads of other lists too.

Wouldn’t be my top games but mine would be VERY out of step from the mainstream anyways so I can’t complain too much…even some of my favorites are way too low

It’s very much a ‘played a lot of PS360 games’ list. But hey, it’s not like there’s anything here that hasn’t been on shitloads of other lists too.
Oh yeah, was about to say. It’s VERY PS3/360 dominated. Not necessarily a bad thing but, like the PS1/N64, I feel that they haven’t aged the best and were handily outdone by the generation that came after them

i'll never understand why so many people are so obsessed with The Last of Us

I played it at some point when I had the chance because of how hyped it was and thought it was super mediocre

Contests like these are ridiculous in both the games that get chosen and the ones that advance, but I'm glad that OOT tends to win lol. Not my favorite game but so much better than a lot of the common picks in these contests

Lots of good games in that lineup that deserved to go further. Quick personal top 10 of those listed:

1.) Resident Evil 4
2.) Shadow of the Colossus
3.) Bloodborne
4.) Metroid Prime
5.) Super Metroid
6.) BioShock
7.) Silent Hill 2
8.) The Last of Us Part II
9.) Mass Effect 2
10.) Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Fallout 3, Spider-Man, and Hades are some other faves. Destiny 2 in there is... lol

Contests like these are ridiculous in both the games that get chosen and the ones that advance, but I'm glad that OOT tends to win lol. Not my favorite game but so much better than a lot of the common picks in these contests

i'm always a little surprised when it wins over newer stuff

maybe the age in polls like this just skews a little higher than I think it does

MGS is my favorite game but I guess I can't be too mad that it lost to BOTW.
i'm always a little surprised when it wins over newer stuff

maybe the age in polls like this just skews a little higher than I think it does
Anyone replying to a Game Informer poll was definitely born before Y2K

I replayed both the N64 and 3DS versions of Ocarina and it still holds up very well. Yes, both versions.

No specific childhood nostalgia here, I was born the year it came out.

On that note I dislike how the forced upres of N64 games in emulated re-releases makes them look worse than they are.

The thing that gets me about this list is that it's very modern except the Nintendo portion. I get a lot of people grew up with Nintendo games and then kind of phased out of them, but it's still odd given how much the Switch appeals to the same demographic as other consoles. I'd think something like Breath of the Wild or Smash Ultimate for example would have big enough overlap to be solid contenders. Then again, Breath of the Wild did almost make it to #3. Another thing is that it looks like the newer Nintendo games had stiffer competition.

Anyways the top of the list are definitely pretty generic. And you know what I'm going to say: not enough Capcom games.

The thing that gets me about this list is that it's very modern except the Nintendo portion. I get a lot of people grew up with Nintendo games and then kind of phased out of them, but it's still odd given how much the Switch appeals to the same demographic as other consoles. I'd think something like Breath of the Wild or Smash Ultimate for example would have big enough overlap to be solid contenders. Then again, Breath of the Wild did almost make it to #3. Another thing is that it looks like the newer Nintendo games had stiffer competition.

Anyways the top of the list are definitely pretty generic. And you know what I'm going to say: not enough Capcom games.
I think Smash Ultimate would have done better if it wasn't up against BG3 in the first round. That was a tough setup.

But historically the Nintendo games that make these lists are almost always Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. I'm sure when Prime 4 comes out there will be plenty of debate as to its quality lol

Lots of good games in that lineup that deserved to go further. Quick personal top 10 of those listed:

1.) Resident Evil 4
3.) Bloodborne
4.) Metroid Prime
5.) Super Metroid
6.) BioShock
7.) Silent Hill 2
9.) Mass Effect 2
Good idea actually

1.) Super Metroid
2.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3.) Silent Hill 2
4.) Metroid Prime
5.) Halo 3
6.) Resident Evil 4
7.) Halo: Combat Evolved
8.) Xenoblade Chronicles
9.) Dragon Age: Origins
10.) Nier Automata

Baldur's Gate 3 might make the list whenever I play it, same with Persona 5 Royal, Undertale and Chrono Trigger. Metal Gear Solid 3 and Fallout New Vegas for whenever I replay them. Metroid Prime would normally be #1 for me but realizing how bad Prime combat is in 2024 ... 😬

I remember feeling like GOW 18 beat RDR2 pretty handily for GOTY back in 2018. I feel like RDR2 might beat it now though

1.) Resident Evil 4
3.) Bloodborne
4.) Metroid Prime
5.) Super Metroid
6.) BioShock
7.) Silent Hill 2
9.) Mass Effect 2

Fallout 3, Spider-Man, and Hades are some other faves. Destiny 2 in there is... lol
Too lazy to make a top 10 list, but my personal top 3 favorite games are all in this tournament:

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Persona 5 Royal
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I will inspect that bracket closer later but of those three I would move Red Dead 2 to the top! May Arthur Morgan ride forever.

Not gonna lie, people being annoyed that The Last of Us beat BOTW are making me laugh. It's almost as if everyone has different tastes in games?

I feel like I'm starting to see these crappy popularity contests weekly. I guess it's what drives clicks so whatever, but lord, do we really need another TOP GAMES list? Yes, I'm very aware that games such as Ocarina of Time and like Half-Life 2 are good, thank you. Wake me up when some outlet at least ranks games not everybody has heard of.

“Please refrain from using crass, sexually charged language liked “cucked” on Fami.” -DecoReturns, ngpdrew, IsisStormDragon, Zellia, NabiscoFelt, big lantern ghost, xghost777.
Xeno game cucked by FFVII, tales as old as time

Back
Top Bottom