• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Game & Watch: The Legend Of Zelda Review Thread

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Nintendo Life

Still, you're getting three of the foundational Zelda titles as part of this package, as well as some neat throwaway extras – plus, as Nintendo itself states, this is a 'collectable' item that will look great on your shelf. In an ideal world, this would be bursting with content, but as it stands, we can't say we're disappointed with this ongoing Game & Watch revival; long may it continue, in fact.

Mirror Uk (4/5 stars)

I've got this for my boy. Honestly, I can't see him playing much of the SNES ones, both are way too unforgiving to get in to for today's audience. Could see him getting in on Links Awakening though.

Got mine today. Two of them.

I ordered two by mistake. Preordered in June when first announced. Then forgot I preordered so I preordered again in September. ☺️

It's a bit of a shame they didn't go for Links awakening DX, I'd considered it but really, I don't imagine I'd play the first 2 Zelda's in this form factor and I'm stuck on it being a shame they didn't go for DX. Maybe if it gets a sale down the line though!

It's a bit of a shame they didn't go for Links awakening DX, I'd considered it but really, I don't imagine I'd play the first 2 Zelda's in this form factor and I'm stuck on it being a shame they didn't go for DX. Maybe if it gets a sale down the line though!
The point of this item is to celebrate the early years of the series. Of course they're going to go with the original version of the game rather than the later enhanced point.

Just picked mine up. Three of the best Zelda games in one place with a great screen... what more could you want?

Original version of Link's Awakening is better imo

I saw some screen shots of the rear of the unit yesterday, and by God, that is genius design.

I ordered with Amazon here in Australia and it’s not estimated to arrive for another 3-5 days 😭

Mine arriving tomorrow!

I wasn't planning to get it, but between me and the 4th grader, someone is playing the Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros from last year at least once a week. These objects are super fun. Looking forwards to seeing what kind of watch modes or toys are included in this one.

Looking forward to getting this. I genuinely enjoy Zelda 2. I remember when I first beat it on the Virtual console drawing a complete map of the Dark Palace (after several trips) to finally be able to beat it.

I was concerned about the aspect ratio of Link's Awakening, but you can fix that in settings. This thing's great.

I was curious about that point after seeing some screenshots of it in both stretched and OK screen aspect ratios. Great to hear.

Think I'll order one of these tomorrow, assuming Nintendo will at some point allow me to register a new payment method.

Mine was due to arrive today but I redirected my package to a shop opposite where I work for pickup tomorrow. I've watched some good YT vids in the meantime as I don't care about spoilers.

I'm so happy they went with OG Link's Awakening, sidestepping the printer and camera fluff that wouldn't have worked, and the banal colour dungeon.

I'm going to finally beat the original Zelda and I will use a guide and I will enjoy it.

I do think the Mario G&W has more pick up and play appeal, but this has far more charm and effort put into it. The Triforce logo shining through the back of the case when in use is pure chef's kiss.

P.S. looking forward to giving the bonus cleaning cloth a welcome home in my Hori OLED case.

Link's Awakening DX was readily available on the 3DS virtual console for quite some time, so re-releasing the original version is ideal for this.
The original also notably had a very useful screen warping glitch that was patched out on the Game Boy Color edition.

I think it'd be pretty unlikely for Nintendo to patch it out on this device.

I absolutely love this thing, and it's a definite improvement over the SMB G&W (which I also loved!). Make sure you try the bonus modes!

Spoilers for anyone who doesn't want to know I suppose:

1. Hold A for 5 seconds on the timer screen to enter a special Time Attack stage!
2. Hold A for 5 seconds while hovering over GAME A in Vermin to start in the really tough GAME C mode!
3. There are codes in there to make the included Zelda games easier-- it typically involves holding A on the file select for 5 seconds to start with max hearts (and in Z2's case, Level 8 everything with all moves and magic available!
4. Hold A for 5 seconds on the clock screen to have it play the appropriate music and sound effects instead of just ticking!

Love the attention to detail here, and the games play well!

So there's no save states, I'm guessing? Really hinders my desire to actually play through the games on this thing if that's the case.
Was gonna ask this too. I think this device is actually somewhat appealing in contrast to the Mario one, but I don't see myself playing Zelda 1 and 2 without save states. 2 in particular is just too brutal without it.

So there's no save states, I'm guessing? Really hinders my desire to actually play through the games on this thing if that's the case.
No save states I'm afraid. I doubt I will attempt Zelda II on this thing for that reason.

I haven't used the handheld much yet as busy with Switch games but it's nice. I'd say the poor vertical viewing angles would detract from using this as a clock with a stand. Text is very legible considering size. D-pad is nice, action buttons a bit mushy, sound reasonable, but no headphone port like the Mario one. I'll probably genuinely play through OG Zelda and Link's Awakening on this. It's a nice collectible but there are definitely better ways to play all of thee titles.

I absolutely love this thing, and it's a definite improvement over the SMB G&W (which I also loved!). Make sure you try the bonus modes!

Spoilers for anyone who doesn't want to know I suppose:

1. Hold A for 5 seconds on the timer screen to enter a special Time Attack stage!
2. Hold A for 5 seconds while hovering over GAME A in Vermin to start in the really tough GAME C mode!
3. There are codes in there to make the included Zelda games easier-- it typically involves holding A on the file select for 5 seconds to start with max hearts (and in Z2's case, Level 8 everything with all moves and magic available!
4. Hold A for 5 seconds on the clock screen to have it play the appropriate music and sound effects instead of just ticking!

Love the attention to detail here, and the games play well!
These are nice touches. Will probably buy myself one on payday.

This is great, tho I'm pretty disappointed that the stand included is cardboard. I thought it would be plastic for some reason. I guess it makes it sting less that the mario one didn't have one!

This is great, tho I'm pretty disappointed that the stand included is cardboard. I thought it would be plastic for some reason. I guess it makes it sting less that the mario one didn't have one!

Yeah I very quickly progressed thru the stages of Game & Watch Stand grief:
  1. there's a stand, cool!
  2. but the SMB one doesn't have a stand and they want to be next to one another on the shelf.
  3. huh, this stand is not great.
  4. ordered 2 of these.

Just got mine! I love it! Vermin is one of my favourite G&W games.

I’m looking at that dinky little screen and really wondering if we might get a Gameboy Classic Mini with the same screen size with a portrait layout and similar thickness. Nintendo would make so much money on that thing!

I bought the Mario one and never touched it so I told myself it would be reasonable to not buy this one.

I should have it tommorow nintendo had shipping issues in europe just like with the samus amiibo.

Did anyone end up getting and using this a lot? I saw it in a store today and it kinda caught my eye as a new and shiny Nintendo handheld. Between this, 3DS, Wii U and Switch, which is the best way to play the original Zelda (and possibly Zelda II) for a first timer? I plan to use save states.

Edit: just read a bit farther into the thread and saw some super helpful posts including yours, @Pineapple Pizza! Definitely keen to hear which platform you think is best for Zelda and Zelda II.

Did anyone end up getting and using this a lot?
I am actually enjoying playing the original Link's Awakening on it. It's the only rerelease of the original B&W game but is perfectly playable and the scaling is better on this screen than the 3DS VC.

I'd love a Game Boy Mini like this.

Did anyone end up getting and using this a lot? I saw it in a store today and it kinda caught my eye as a new and shiny Nintendo handheld. Between this, 3DS, Wii U and Switch, which is the best way to play the original Zelda (and possibly Zelda II) for a first timer? I plan to use save states.

Edit: just read a bit farther into the thread and saw some super helpful posts including yours, @Pineapple Pizza! Definitely keen to hear which platform you think is best for Zelda and Zelda II.
Just got it as a stocking stuffer and man this thing is tiny! Love having my childhood Zelda’s on such an adorable package.

It’s still absolutely criminal that we never got a Kirby one of these for the anniversary this year. Criminal.

That's a really nice stocking stuffer! Definitely interested to read your impressions.
Love being able to play through the original version of Links Awakening. Previously I’d only played the Switch version, so I love experiencing the original. I wish there were save states similar to the NES Classic, etc but it’s not a big deal (only needed for Zelda 2 imo but somehow I beat it on the NES as a kid which I still have no idea how that was possible lol). I love the size but can’t play for too long since it starts to cramp my hands. That said, I love the thing. Definitely glad I got it and looking forward to going through LA, particularly.

Makes me wish the Mario Game and Watch would’ve included Mario 3 because it’d be an insta buy if that was the case, just to add to the collection

I was thinking there might eventually be a Metroid one of these, but someone in the YouTube comments rightly pointed out how it could only really feature 1 and 2, as any of the others would require shoulder buttons + more face buttons added to the unit. Shame.

Back
Top Bottom