• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon |ST| Season 2 premiering this June

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
MV5BZDBkZjRiNGMtZGU2My00ODdkLWI0MGYtNGU4MmJjN2MzOTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Airs on HBO/HBO Max @ 9pm ET

House of the Dragon is an American fantasy drama television series. A prequel to Game of Thrones (2011–2019), it is the second show in the franchise, created by George R. R. Martin and Ryan Condal for HBO. Both series are based on the A Song of Ice and Fire novels by Martin. Condal and Miguel Sapochnik are the showrunners. Based on parts of the novel Fire & Blood, the series is set about 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, and 172 years before the birth of Daenerys Targaryen. It portrays the beginning of the end of House Targaryen, the events leading up to and covering the Targaryen war of succession, known as the "Dance of the Dragons".

Episode 1​
"The Heirs of the Dragon"​
08/21/2022
Episode 2​
"The Rogue Prince"​
08/28/2022
Episode 3​
"Second of His Name"​
09/04/2022
Episode 4​
"King of the Narrow Sea"​
09/11/2022
Episode 5​
"We Light the Way"​
09/18/2022
Episode 6​
"The Princess and the Queen"​
09/25/2022
Episode 7​
"Driftmark"​
10/02/2022
Episode 8​
"The Lord of the Tides"​
10/09/2022
Episode 9​
"The Green Council"​
10/16/2022
Episode 10​
"The Black Queen"​
10/23/2022

Last edited:
Ok, so let me lay a couple of ground rules. First, no discussions about any actual or unverified leaks. Anything that has aired or is up on streaming is fair game. Second, please spolier tag any book discussion. I would prefer to just have one thread so please be generous to your fellow Famiboard members (like me)

Have fun!

Well episode 4 went places. This show continues to build. I feel like heads will be rolling soon.

Thought this would be an utter disaster after the way GoT ended, but after decent buzz I gave it a shot and it's quite good. It's more focused than Game of Thrones, and the focus is squarely on personal / political drama, which is always where GoT was best. Far, far better than S5 and onward Thrones, imo.

That said, I absolutely can't stand Rhaenyra, lol. Just your classic spoiled brat entitled princess but with a veneer of autonomous "girlboss" to her that makes it more palatable to many. But she thinks nothing of anyone but herself, does nothing for anyone but herself, shirks her duties, is rude and dismissive of anyone she sees as below her - whether they're the lowborn or her suitors etc. Her father takes the incredible and unprecedented step of naming her heir and she's still not satisfied with him because she feels entitled to it. Lusts after her uncle, and then takes advantage of her position over Ser Criston (yeah he could have done more to resist) whom I suspect actually really dislikes her. Honestly just terrible. Rooting hard for her to lose.

Daemon is much harder to get a read on and more interesting. Still an asshole though.

I feel for Alicent. For her whole family to live in the luxury they are accustomed to requires costs that must be paid, and most of those costs now fall on her. Sleeping with Viserys, constant pregnancies, ruining / losing all her close friend relationships. Tough scene, but she puts her head down and gets on with it for the sake of her family. The question is whether she'll eventually crack. There are signs already.

Viserys is the easiest to understand. A good man, but a weak willed, literally deteriorating man incapable of doing what's right for the realm rather than what makes him feel better about things. The show is never subtle about this.

I do like the ambiguousness of Otto's character, though. Every move he has made could be entirely justified as being in the best interest of the king and realm, but has just so happened to make his daughter queen and put his grandson on the cusp of the throne. Is he not entitled to make those moves if they are, indeed, in the king's best interest? Could Otto have really known Viserys so well that he knew that placing his daughter in his company would inevitably lead to a marriage proposal counter to all the king's best counsel somewhere down the line? It's so hard to say he could have seen that coming, royal marriage arrangements being the political agreements they are - he could make a genuine argument that he just knew the king needed support at that time. Was Otto a dutiful man whose moves were hugely fortunate for his family? Or was he a Littlefinger-esque schemer from the start? It's very hard to say. I think he certainly thinks of himself as the former. But we don't get to see his internal monologue. I know everyone thinks of him as the latter. I don't see it as quite that clear-cut.

Acting is great so far. As always, I could do without the sex scenes. The dragons are fantastic. Looking forward to how it plays out.

Wow, tonight's episode was really good. Larys is an immensely intriguing character.

Yeah, I think the last two episodes have been real good.

I did read Fire and Blood, so I remember some details, but Laena dying was a bummer. I get Martin's world is so often a patriarchal nightmare for women, but after seeing so many strong women characters humiliated and murdered and befuddled and so on, I can't help but lament Laena, a potentially fun and interesting character, needing to leave the story at this point.

Alicent is interesting, I think, especially her relationship with Larys; she didn't seem to understand what she was doing even though she has obviously been an adept political player.

Thought they nailed the shift in tone, to a set of older, darker, sadder characters, facing harder and sharper challenges.

So, I have been back and forth with House of the Dragon. While at the beginning there was the "new car smell" with the return of Game of Thrones, all of the time skips have made the flow feel weird. There have been plenty of good moments in the first ~6 episodes but it didn't quite feel organic. I think that when we look back on this season, we will view the first 5~6 episodes as a very long prologue of the events to come.

Tonight's episode was the lighting of the powder keg that has been building since the start. The kids really took matters into their own hands and the parents were left squabbling afterwards. Aemond went for the power play and it (mostly) paid off. Jace and Luke showed some spunk as well, but their lives are clearly in danger. Viserys is clearly on borrowed time, and once he is gone things will be up for grabs. The Lannister kids have nothing with how clearly the mismatch is for Rhanyera's kids. I don't know how long Rhanyera vs Alicent will last but I hope it keeps on going for most of the show.

Lastly, that twist at the very end was surprising. That has to have ramifications down the road.

I'm firmly on the "Better than GoT S1" team.

And also "The Blacks"

Okay, I have seen the latest episode (EP6) and it was seriously amazing. Like, I am pretty shocked that this show is so good. Was super cautious because the bad last seasons of GoT, but this one definitely is far from that.

just come to say what an amazing episode yesterday, one of the best episodes so far (and that includes GoT Original series as well) it has been a long time since this TV show and universe made me shed a tear in an episode.

Paddy Considine did a SPECTACULAR job as king Viserys Targaryen, with Episode 8 as his "tour de force", he gave the character several more layers that are missing in the book and the character is better for it; a flawed , complicated man with tons of mistakes but kindhearted and moral at the end. Died thinking he fixed his family and got to spend one last night with all of them together, in this particularly cruel, unfair world of ASoIaF, that's as good as you will get, and he deserves it.

The writing is also top notch, kinda wish that this team was the one who handled S6 -S8 of the original show, instead of those 2 untalented , lazy hacks of D&D.

I don't know how many organizations give awards to TV shows (Golden Globes, Emmys and what not) but Paddy and the writer team deserve all the accolades they can get.

For five minutes, it looked like everyone was going to let bygones be bygones....

Their own fault, they infected their childs with their hatred at the end of the day.

Everyone is focusing their attention into this foot thing and "LOL Dracarys" instead of the truly dark and horrible aspect of the episode , which is the kid fighting pits and the real and very cruel depravity that Eagon holds in his heart, even having his very little bastard in the pits, it really really shocked me and i'm not easily shocked. I don't remember Eagon being THIS bad in the book.

Everyone is focusing their attention into this foot thing and "LOL Dracarys" instead of the truly dark and horrible aspect of the episode , which is the kid fighting pits and the real and very cruel depravity that Eagon holds in his heart, even having his very little bastard in the pits, it really really shocked me and i'm not easily shocked. I don't remember Eagon being THIS bad in the book.
Agreed, and if the series goes down this route I'm out.

GoT never recovered for me after they burned Shireen. I never cared about it in the same way again after that. I can't have on-screen cruelty to children in the things I enjoy.

There was absolutely no reason to show those child fights. They could have mentioned them, or just seen the children as prisoners waiting to fight. Made my stomach turn.

Great season overall. Season finale ended on such a cruel and heartbreaking note.

I can't believe we need to wait two years for the next season.

does anyone else dread the reaction to blood and cheese i do not know about you but with the current events i have had my enough of cheering for the murder of children

Back
Top Bottom