• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Game History Secrets does an feature length documentary going over the biggest leaks ever

As much as I really don't like the main DYKG crew (for yoinking a video of mine for gameplay footage without asking and getting annoyed when i asked them why there was no link back to my channel), Game History Secrets is pretty much the only thing made on that channel I'll gladly tune in for each and every time. Pretty eager to dive into this video!

I hate leaks for so many reasons. This 2-plus hour documentary seems to be just about as congratulatory to the leakers and culture around leaks as one should expect.

I only watched the first ten minutes so far and you have the first segment leaker with a zoom interview basically "tut-tutting" the person they were sitting next to on a subway with a laptop open while they take a snapshot over their shoulder of their screen.

The next segment leak apparently got a Nintendo employee fired when they weren't the leaker. Awesome, great job, keep the celebration going. At least we got to know some characters in Smash Bros. earlier. Well, wait, not exactly since the doc even goes into the amount of doubt was expressed online about them anyway and even purposefully doctored versions of the captures to further obfuscate their veracity.

I fell asleep after that so cannot comment yet on the rest. (Edited and removed my less than fair, unwarranted, negative comments here.)

Anyway. Leaks suck and are one of the most selfish things displayed for shortly lived internet clout, that tells the world "I can't be trusted!" under a dumb username, and just makes official announcements ahead in the nearby future a little less exciting and causes people to lose their jobs.

Last edited:
I hate leaks for so many reasons. This 2-plus hour documentary seems to be just about as congratulatory to the leakers and culture around leaks as one should expect.

I only watched the first ten minutes so far and you have the first segment leaker with a zoom interview basically "tut-tutting" the person they were sitting next to on a subway with a laptop open while they take a snapshot over their shoulder of their screen.

The next segment leak apparently got a Nintendo employee fired when they weren't the leaker. Awesome, great job, keep the celebration going. At least we got to know some characters in Smash Bros. earlier. Well, wait, not exactly since the doc even goes into the amount of doubt was expressed online about them anyway and even purposefully doctored versions of the captures to further obfuscate their veracity.

I fell asleep after that so cannot comment yet on the rest. Pretty boring though so it does make a decent sleep aid I suppose.

Anyway. Leaks suck and are one of the most selfish things displayed for shortly lived internet clout, that tells the world "I can't be trusted!" under a dumb username, and just makes official announcements ahead in the nearby future a little less exciting and causes people to lose their jobs.
Thanks for watching part of the documentary but this could not be further from the truth. The video is actually fairly critical of leaking culture and the conclusion of the video (if you watch it, you will see this) is all about how nothing positive ultimately came about from their actions and some even ruined their lives (and the lives of others) in the process. I have two leakers on camera in the video: one on the less severe side of the spectrum, the other a convicted criminal and both show regret for their actions. Nothing about this is celebrating leakers. It was about getting to the bottom of who was responsible and finding out how/why they did it. In the process, I learned that many of them sabotaged their own lives doing it and thought that was an interesting story to tell. That is what the documentary is really about.

Even the parts you highlighted, I don't even know how you walked away with this interpretation. There is no "tutt-tutting" with the Shadow of the Tomb Raider part. We are both just trying to understand why someone might not have been careful about opening a confidential document on a train. That's all. Furthermore, the Smash Bros. section you mentioned ends with the following statement: "These were the actions of a fan who was unable to wait a few weeks for the official release and leaked it to their online buddies at the expense of their parent’s career and Nintendo’s marketing plans." Does that sound "celebratory" to you?

Last edited:
Are you sure that's what happened with Smash 4? There was speculation at the time that it came from Brazil. They had a very specific brand of monitors in the pics.

Are you sure that's what happened with Smash 4? There was speculation at the time that it came from Brazil. They had a very specific brand of monitors in the pics.
I am certain. There is a reason for that but it did indeed come from Nintendo of America as stated.

Thanks for watching part of the documentary but this could not be further from the truth. The video is actually fairly critical of leaking culture and the conclusion of the video (if you watch it, you will see this) is all about how nothing positive ultimately came about from their actions and some even ruined their lives (and the lives of others) in the process. I have two leakers on camera in the video: one on the less severe side of the spectrum, the other a convicted criminal and both show regret for their actions. Nothing about this is celebrating leakers. It was about getting to the bottom of who was responsible and finding out how/why they did it. In the process, I learned that many of them sabotaged their own lives doing it and thought that was an interesting story to tell. That is what the documentary is really about.

Even the parts you highlighted, I don't even know how you walked away with this interpretation. There is no "tutt-tutting" with the Shadow of the Tomb Raider part. We are both just trying to understand why someone might not have been careful about opening a confidential document on a train. That's all. Furthermore, the Smash Bros. section you mentioned ends with the following statement: "These were the actions of a fan who was unable to wait a few weeks for the official release and leaked it to their online buddies at the expense of their parent’s career and Nintendo’s marketing plans." Does that sound "celebratory" to you?
Fair enough, I'll check out more of it later. I had started it late last night so fell asleep, and I'm extremely predisposed to disliking everything about leaks especially when put in a positive light (even though as you say that's not the intent), it just seems like any attention is bad since the whole leaking phenomenom just feels geared towards just getting attention for the clout whether good or bad and without much forethought on the consequences.

Apologies for the harsher words of my post though. Once I do finish it I'll post my full, more qualified impressions and try to clarify my more negative impressions in general if they still persist by then end of the documentary. Sorry if I came off disrespectfully at first, I'll try to elaborate on why later if those impressions remain, as it could have just soley stemmed from my own biases against leaks rather than the way it's presented in the doc itself.

Back
Top Bottom