• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Game characters wearing other game characters' outfits

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him
While I was trolling @chocolate_supra about Sonic Lost World, I remembered that Sonic has a Zelda stage in it and Sonic actually wears Link's green tunic.
sonic_lost_world_dlc.jpg

As cursed as this is, it made me think of times when other game characters wear the outfits of other game character, usually for cross promotional purposes. Sonic isn't even the only Sega character to where Link's tunic
Bayonetta2Costumes_100614_1280-1412712821096_1280w.jpg

Here we have Bayonetta wearing Link, Samus, Peach, and Fox outfits.

monsterhunterzelda.jpg
mh4-umay-dlc.900x.jpg

Monster Hunter has done costume cross overs in the past with some Nintendo outfits for the 3DS entries.
fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water-zero-suit-samus.jpg

Zero-Suit Samus outfit on Fatal Frame. I'm guessing this is a nod to KT's work on the franchise with Famiboard's favorite game, Other M.

Dwq1qq7VsAAOXyu.jpg:large

Klonoa outfit in Tales of Vesperia.
danteken.jpg

Ken with Dante's outfit.

What's the point of this thread? I don't know really. I just felt like going down this rabbit hole. So many game characters are recognizable by the clothes they wear and it's always interesting to see how those clothes look when they are put on another character, especially character's from different franchises or companies altogether. What are some of your favorites?

Do Mii outfits count for Smash? If so, those are always really fun to see. SSBU really pushed the look for them as well, just contrast Geno's outfit from the Brawl days with say, Cuphead or Sans.

Skullgirls also has loads of alternate color schemes that are all references to different franchises, usually being in reference to other fighting game characters that inspired them or to characters that are similar in terms of design. Really fun stuff.

My mind immediately jumped to Bayonetta. Personally, even as a Bayonutter, I'm not a fan of them, but I have to admit they're cute.

KOS-MOS (Version 1) from Xenosaga has a costume in Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Abyss, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny, and Soul Calibur III!

cAuaqVu.gif

KOS-MOS actually makes some kind of cameo/reference in most Tales of Games. Even the most recent Tales of Arise, and Tales of the Rays just a couple of months ago!

Velvet, Laphicet, and Kanono Earhart wearing costumes from Xenosaga Episode III in Tales of Rays (mobile game).

tLFl41u.png

2goiANS.png

05A90CD8F30F65508E63E7051991384B86494BE5

Here it's just the headpiece.
JmlCjXy.png

There's also a T-elos color variant too for this one.
md92ssC.png

Unlockable pieces for the whole outfit.
2w8hgy6.png

It's not really a game crossover being within the same series, but nonetheless, the shadow costume for Sonic Superstars is incredible.

maxresdefault.jpg

They announced it prior to showing it that there would be a "free Shadow Costume", and giving everyone exactly that is some incredible borderline trolling from Sega, haha.

I think that was the peak.

But yeah Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was a whole other level, wish we got Samus on Rise too.

Mario dressing as Diddy Kong tho 👀

all these champion's tunic cross promotions and no mention of the one that works on playstation vita

link_linkle_phantasy_star_online_2_cloud.jpg

There's a fair bit of this in Puzzle Fighter and Pocket Fighter.

Kind of an unknown/obscure one (even among the Harvest Moon community I feel), but in Harvest Moon 64, if you don't marry Karen, and that you have her marry Kai, their kid will wear a Pikachu costume. It's a bit random and the only Nintendo reference in that game. And you very likely might miss it (you will most likely have Karen leave town if you play without a guide, if you don't do her quest of saving her family's vineyard, she leaves forever your save)

But anyway, it's really cute, look at that.

D-gZ8t_WwAETlWm.png

I’m so glad someone mentioned Tekken Tag 2, I spent a lot of time staring in baffled awe at the eshop page for that one

Came into this thread to look at these god defying abominations and now I strongly feel that everyone who laid eyes upon them, including myself, needs to be cast into the shadow realm.

Kind of an unknown/obscure one (even among the Harvest Moon community I feel), but in Harvest Moon 64, if you don't marry Karen, and that you have her marry Kai, their kid will wear a Pikachu costume. It's a bit random and the only Nintendo reference in that game. And you very likely might miss it (you will most likely have Karen leave town if you play without a guide, if you don't do her quest of saving her family's vineyard, she leaves forever your save)

But anyway, it's really cute, look at that.

D-gZ8t_WwAETlWm.png

For a fun, additional connection: Atsuko Nishida, Pikachu's designer, would actually go on to work a bit on a sort of HM/SoS/Bokumono spinoff called Hometown Story. Which featured this cute thing:

SI_3DS_HometownStory_image1600w.jpg

Though, more on-topic, another Nintendo collab with the OG farmsim featured Mario stuff in both the first "Story of Seasons" and Trio of Towns. Though Trio really leaned into it, with the little "game ID" thumbnail on Youtube even featuring the Mario outfit.

LittleBigPlanet was a heaven for this for many years, practically every major game released on a PlayStation console had a tie-in costume, and plenty of non-gaming properties like Marvel and DC Comics as well.

2J24M1L4FTwEM0kLOtkJLzYzUY4jf1yw.png

YgXQu0f9KEhJ890TGbYdHsJRttMvuZwo.png

HnHc022Uie25vefV8wW1Q5weggGAGSx4.png

notably, the Sephiroth costume was one of the first revealed. but it took until the sequel for it to be released. And the Katamari costume was also depicted in early concept art for the original game.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure even continued the trend for a bit.

How many different games have featured the Assassin's cloak from Assassin's Creed? Off the top of my head I can think of Metal Gear Solid IV, LittleBigPlanet, and Fall Guys (of course).

Gaming Historian, I've got your next topic!

How many different games have featured the Assassin's cloak from Assassin's Creed? Off the top of my head I can think of Metal Gear Solid IV, LittleBigPlanet, and Fall Guys (of course).

Gaming Historian, I've got your next topic!

Final Fantasy XV
ezsbfugdossjbbrhfwmp.png

Back
Top Bottom