• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion FTWPTA ; Can you see any similarities between the Xeno series(Gears+Saga+Blade) and the Chrono series(Trigger+ Cross)? Which do you like more?

More Xeno or Chrono+ pretty please?

• Chrono is old(punny) news give me more Xenoblade Shonen madness!!

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Chrono is a pedigree beyond Xenoblade - Let the dreams continue!

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I can't rustle up a fart of caring...how about a brand new ip entirely?

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I'm indecisive so why not both?

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uniomni

Piranha Plant
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
For the record, FTWPTA = for those who've played them all

It was recently bought to my attention that some of the team who worked on Chrono Cross actually joined MonolithSoft when it was first formed almost 20 years ago.

Going by the art direction and battle system in XbDe, and the clips I've watched of Xb2, I would've never guessed it.

I'm legitimately feeling kinda bamboozled and flim flammed here, as Cross is one of my favorite jrpgs ever and XbDe.......isn't.

Am I alone in wanting whatever Xeno is currently in development to be thrown into the fires of Mount Doom, and a spiritual sequel/continuation to the Chrono series to become priority 1?

Yasuyuki Honne was only the art director of Xenosaga 1 before moving on to Baten Kaitos, that's probably why you don't really see the Chrono Cross influence in their Xeno games but it was most definitely there in BK. Unfortunately he is mostly involved with Monolith Kyoto which is support studio making assets for Nintendo games (like Splatoon/Animal Crossing). In 2018 Honne-san did express interest in making a game again but I'm not sure if anything will come out of that.

I wouldn't throw out the Xenoblade games or IP for a successor to Chrono. But, and it's so unlikely I'm not really entertaining the idea really, if an actual Chrono were possible I might reconsider.

Last edited:
Yasuyuki Honne was only the art director of Xenosaga 1 before moving on to Baten Kaitos, that's probably why you don't really see the Chrono Cross influence in their Xeno games but it was most definitely there in BK. Unfortunately he is mostly involved with Monolith Kyoto which is support studio making assets for Nintendo games (like Splatoon/Animal Crossing). In 2018 Honne-san did express interest in making a game again but I'm not sure if anything will come out of that.

I wouldn't throw out the Xenoblade games or IP for a successor to Chrono. But, and it's so unlikely I'm not really entertaining the idea really, if an actual Chrono were possible I might reconsider.
I would never expect an actual Chrono game as that's a Square ip, but something akin to that with time travel mechanics and a big cast of playable characters that was Chrono in everything but name?

I'd slap my card on the table so fast

Well, Xenoblade is my favourite RPG since Chrono Trigger so both definitely hit my particular interests.

One thing that they clearly do have in common is similarity in the music, but that's hardly surprising.

I agree with the elusive Dunban above that you can absolutely see Baten Kaitos as an evolution of Chrono Cross style.
The backgrounds and how they are animated is very reminiscent of CC. Honne is just incredible.

What's different in Chrono is Hori's influence, I'd say. It's very accessible and not as high concept as the Xeno games. Chrono just hit a perfect mix.

In any case, I do NOT want Xenoblade to stop. It's finally a chance to see Takahashi's vision continue.

However, if Monolith got the chance to make a new Chrono game, that game would immediately become my most-wanted game whether announced or unanounced. A new Chrono would be an absolute highlight.

Personally, I'd want Akira Toryama back, though, and if Yuji Hori could contribute some small stories that would be incredible too.

EDIT: Regarding the cast. I loved Chrono Cross for various reasons, but the big cast of characters was more a detriment than a feature imo.
The Trigger cast is perfection. Each member is immaculate.

Cross really has a lot of stinkers.

In fact, I've always maintained that I wish they had limited Cross cast to seven characters as well.
Serge, Kid, Glenn, Karsh, Steena, maybe Riddell and secret unlockable Harle.

Last edited:
Well, Xenoblade is my favourite RPG since Chrono Trigger so both definitely hit my particular interests.

One thing that they clearly do have in common is similarity in the music, but that's hardly surprising.

I agree with the elusive Dunban above that you can absolutely see Baten Kaitos as an evolution of Chrono Cross style.
The backgrounds and how they are animated is very reminiscent of CC. Honne is just incredible.

What's different in Chrono is Hori's influence, I'd say. It's very accessible and not as high concept as the Xeno games. Chrono just hit a perfect mix.

In any case, I do NOT want Xenoblade to stop. It's finally a chance to see Takahashi's vision continue.

However, if Monolith got the chance to make a new Chrono game, that game would immediately become my most-wanted game whether announced or unanounced. A new Chrono would be an absolute highlight.

Personally, I'd want Akira Toryama back, though, and if Yuji Hori could contribute some small stories that would be incredible too.

EDIT: Regarding the cast. I loved Chrono Cross for various reasons, but the big cast of characters was more a detriment than a feature imo.
The Trigger cast is perfection. Each member is immaculate.

Cross really has a lot of stinkers.

In fact, I've always maintained that I wish they had limited Cross cast to seven characters as well.
Serge, Kid, Glenn, Karsh, Steena, maybe Riddell and secret unlockable Harle.

Imo Akira Toriyama back would be a huge misstep. In this day and age, his look is most famously aligned to Dragon Quest.
And just being open, Cross art >>>>Trigger art any day.
And yes, Cross did have a bunch of frivolous characters but you didn't have to get them either. Glen+ Serge or Glen+ the General character(I forgot his name) = I win.

As a series? Easily Xeno, as there's only one good Chrono game.

I would only be interested in Chrono continuing if Sakaguchi/Horii were involved, which seems incredibly unlikely.

Imagine seeing a trailer that says Armor Project, Mistwalker, and Monolith.

I think I would keel over

Imo Akira Toriyama back would be a huge misstep. In this day and age, his look is most famously aligned to Dragon Quest.
And just being open, Cross art >>>>Trigger art any day.
And yes, Cross did have a bunch of frivolous characters but you didn't have to get them either. Glen+ Serge or Glen+ the General character(I forgot his name) = I win.

General Viper was ok, too, but Cross art is no competition for Trigger. The Trigger cast was instantly iconic, you can't say that about Cross at all.

I've only played Trigger and Xenoblade. CT is a very charming and good-looking game, but it doesn't have what I want in an RPG .The combat, character progression and exploration didn't align to my tastes.
Xenoblade games are pretty flawed, but they nail the essentials for the most part. Their design around exploration and sense of adventure is very unique in the industry, whereas an RPG with 'meaningful choices', like CT, has become a cliche goal in the last 15 years (although Chrono Trigger did it in a special way).

Last edited:
Sometimes I've found myself thinking that chain attacks sort of feel like a splinter evolution on the concept of tech attacks

I've played Chrono Trigger and all of the Xenoblade games. While I do regret that we never saw any more Chrono games, I love Xenoblade and I'm happy with how things turned out.

I never got the chance to play Chrono Cross, Xenogears or Xenosaga. I'm hoping that the rumour that Chrono Cross is getting released in some way is true, because I would happily play it.

Imagine seeing a trailer that says Armor Project, Mistwalker, and Monolith.

I think I would keel over

General Viper was ok, too, but Cross art is no competition for Trigger. The Trigger cast was instantly iconic, you can't say that about Cross at all.
Super hard disagree.

Serge, Kid, Glen and Lynx >>>Crono, Ayala and Frog. Magus was cool too. And no jrpg saddened me as much as the fight against Miguel.

Cross>> Trigger, and it's not even close.

I've played Chrono Trigger and all of the Xenoblade games. While I do regret that we never saw any more Chrono games, I love Xenoblade and I'm happy with how things turned out.

I never got the chance to play Chrono Cross, Xenogears or Xenosaga. I'm hoping that the rumour that Chrono Cross is getting released in some way is true, because I would happily play it.
Chrono Cross is bar none the best game you've mentioned in this post.
Play it and then join the ranks of the saddened that it's yet to be continued in any way

Back
Top Bottom