• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Freedom Planet 2: The Sonic and Gunstar Heroes mash up you didn't know you needed

FluffyPower

Devil Bringer
Pronouns
They
So, crawling out of my little corner of the internet I've realized that there's an indie game that I played a few months ago that needs more love. And that game is Freedom Planet 2. Yes, the title is correct: it blends Sonic speedrunning design with Gunstar boss stage design while also throwing in nods to stuff like Mega Man as well. What culminates is a unique blend of 2D sidescrolling design that feels like it came out on the Saturn but no, it came out 6 months ago.

You ever stop and think "Hm, this game is good, but it could use a cat who can climb up walls and ride motorcycles"

Freedom-Planet-2-game.gif

or "Gosh I'd love to have an ice Panda that can shoot ice out of a staff to annihilate enemies right about now"

VigorousColdBluebreastedkookaburra-size_restricted.gif

It's got fantastic pixel artwork

Level_Screenshot_8_%28Freedom_Planet_2%29.png

19AAFA6ED44F8B5079276103A8FBEBE02D90C0D1

A548557232D95919556A90BA482D1A7BE80C5B0C

A strong soundtrack:

I mean, what more could you want, eh?

Being serious, you can really see the time and effort the team spent putting into this game. And for a 2d Platformer it comes in at around 10 hours with 4 playable characters so if you are one to worry about replayablility and value, it's there in spades. This was probably the most fun I've had with a 2D platformer since Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze back in 2014 (which, ironically, is when the first game came out). If you are at all interested in 2D platformers I urge you to give it a try.

Once the Switch version releases in the summer, the game will pick up in popularity and sales. Its a shame that most websites and reviewers pass by Steam releases, same problem is going on with Pizza Tower last month.

I think I'm low-key waiting on the Switch release, preferably a physical release if possible. I really enjoyed the first one on Wii U.

The first game is one of my favorite games ever, so the wait for this to come on Switch has been pretty hard lol.

There's been so many great and under the radar indie games, it's kinda hard to keep up. I love the first one, and I really need to play this one.

Once the Switch version releases in the summer, the game will pick up in popularity and sales. Its a shame that most websites and reviewers pass by Steam releases, same problem is going on with Pizza Tower last month.
Pizza Tower was one of Steam's biggest releases of Jan 2023

A lot of games on Steam don't need media coverage. Some do for sure, but this has thousands of reviews and has been selling and reviewing well on Steam at full price.

I will get around to this at some point. The first one was fantastic.

The game looks like a lot of fun! I really need to get around to playing it.

I still need to finish FP1 but I liked what I played. Glad the devs seemingly delivered on the sequel.

I still can't believe the game was out with literally 0 coverage, 0 info, 0 tweets, nothing.

"Here's our game, I guess ?"

Still waiting for the Switch port, it will look amazing on that OLED screen.

I was admittedly critical of the first Freedom Planet (would say I enjoyed it overall, but it could definitely have some janky design, and the story really goes places in some not-so-good ways) but this one seems to be a step up for sure, so i’m definitely interested in checking it out eventually.

I'm mixed on FP2 because of the first game, honestly. It gave me some very conflicting feels.

The soundtrack and pixel art was solid, and most of the actual stages were fun to go through (I remember some of the latter ones being more frustrating, though). The bosses however I remember finding atrociously terrible, and being left with the feeling that they were demanding of me a completely different skillset than the rest of the game.

Granted I played it a long time ago, I don't know if the patched the game further after I did. I think the game wasn't "finished" yet?

But yeah, that's why I hesitate on this one. It does look like a massive improvement everywhere, but...

Really enjoyed the first game, and everything about the sequel looks like a massive improvement. I hope the console version gets a physical release.

I can't believe I missed this thread when it was first posted! I loved Freedom Planet on WiiU (I see you, @Jahranimo), and have been waiting now.. wait.. *googles the wiiu release date* ...holy cow, I've been waiting eight years for this sequel. 😳

I follow the team on the socials and they have said recently that the console release (which was originally aiming for summer) is aiming for December now:

Hopefully the fact that they have a publisher now (as @Krvavi Abadas pointed out) means the release month is relatively solid by now, and we'll see the game before the end of the year!

Maybe even in an Indie World 👀

Ohhh December actually sounds pretty good. I should be done with Star Ocean 2 Second Story by then (hopefully).

I double dipped for the Switch version of FP1 when Limited Run did the physical. I hope a physical for 2 can happen in the future, maybe it needs that nice console release boost for their new publisher to give the ok. That is...if they do physical releases.

Back
Top Bottom