• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Free updates announced for Metroid Dread, two difficulty modes out today, boss rush coming in April

Definitely a drag for this to be the DLC, I feel like a one hit-KO difficulty in that game would be mind-numbing and a boss rush mode is meh. Maybe there will be something more substantial down the road.

Definitely a drag for this to be the DLC, I feel like a one hit-KO difficulty in that game would be mind-numbing and a boss rush mode is meh. Maybe there will be something more substantial down the road.
yeah not the best DLC, but i didn't expect any DLC for this anyway. this is just some free post-launch support.

Boss Rush allows you to experience the best part of the game. Couldn't be happier.

giphy.gif

Boss Rush update is cool, and welcome, but I'm kinda bummed at how nothing the difficulty modes are. Ah well. We finally got Metroid Dread, and that was the main thing. I guess I can't really expect paid DLC, or anything major like that.

patch notes

New Difficulties Available
  • “ROOKIE MODE” has been added to the game. This is a mode suited towards new players, with the following adjustments:
    • Dropped items from enemies now replenish greater amounts when picked-up.
    • Damage received from Boss attacks has been lowered.
    • Destructible Boss projectiles have been made easier to break than usual (excluding some attacks).
    • Increased number of missiles available when beginning game.
    • Made the finishing counters when defeating some Bosses easier to perform.
      • Selected when starting a New Game, and choosing “SELECT DIFFICULTY”.
  • “DREAD MODE” has been added to the game. This is an extremely high-difficulty mode, where any damage taken from enemies or traps will lead to an instant Game Over.
    • Can be selected after clearing HARD MODE, when beginning a New Game, and choosing “SELECT DIFFICULTY”.

New Details Added to Results Screen
  • Several new details have been added to the results screen that appears after clearing the game. These new details will not appear, however, for game files that were started prior to updating the game.

General Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where Samus sliding down a surface and touching a frozen enemy would force the game to close, after the message “The software was closed because an error occurred” appears.
  • Made several other fixes to improve playability and enjoyment of game.

Demo Update

The following updates to the “Metroid Dread DEMO” are also now available (Ver. 2.0.0).
  • The scale of the playable area has been expanded, with the Corpius boss fight now being available.
  • Added “ROOKIE MODE”, a mode suited towards new players, where dropped items from enemies now replenish a greater amount, and bosses’ attack power has been lowered.
    • Added “SELECT DIFFICULTY” options when beginning the demo.

A 1HKO mode isn't great honestly. It's neat as a gimmick, but I'd much rather had seen a purposefully balanced 'Very Hard' mode. Especially a difficulty mode that removes the checkpoints prior to EMMI zones, that compromise really killed some of the tension.

Great to see them adding stuff through patches. didn't think it would happen. Would love to see other additions and tweaks in future patches:
  • A 'Metroid 5' title drop and opening
  • Option to disable Adam room dialog
  • randomizer mode
  • map changes to make the game more non-linear

Maybe with Rookie Mode I can finally beat Escue. I've loved every part of this game but Escue has been a wall I can't get past

Not enough to bring me back but I might check the boss rush mode.

Totally agreed about being bummed by the lack of a title drop. C’mon Nintendo.

I was complaining about the lack of Boss Rush 3 seconds before they announced it--this game was my GotY for '21, hope it gets a few more updates!

Definitely not playing this DLC but excited to see speed runners jump in. Also glad they added an easy mode for players too

As said, not the best DLC by far, but... there wasn't an expectation to have DLC to begin with, so anything is welcome. I've beaten it like... five times? The last one literally last week on a low% run (so not that afraid nor interested on the Dread difficulty), so I'm not booting it up again until at least the boss rush update, I suppose.

I really wish boss rush was out at launch I had a LOT of steam behind me and no where to go
hopefully I'll want to go back to it and can remember how to play by april

I really thought they were about to announce a Zero Suit mode during the first 5 seconds lol

Not interested in the difficulty modes but at least it’s free and boss rush sounds cool

I suck at 2d action platformers so rookie mode is a welcome addition. Demo was GREAT, but I read that bosses were super hard so I never bought the game.

I would be fine with a brutal mode where you don't get any continues but one-hit KO seems straight up NES difficult evil

I'll give the demo another shot at some point with Rookie Mode, especially if it now lets me face a boss.

They didn't have to do anything, thus I appreciate every morsel of attention the game gets.

Boss Rush is gonna be fun and maybe someday, in my hard headedness, I'll commit to a Dread Mode run, lol.

Nothing to bring me back to the game here, but it was probably my GOTY last year so good to see it getting some extra support

I would be fine with a brutal mode where you don't get any continues but one-hit KO seems straight up NES difficult evil
Man what

OHKO mode sounds FAR more forgiving than a mode with no continues

I have to admit seeing Dread mentioned today only for it to be this stuff was kind of a bummer. I want a full blown Dread expansion so bad.

I don't think I'm interested in any of the DLC but I'm glad Rookie Mode will exist. Making the game more accessible to new/younger players can only create more Metroid fans.

I know people want a DLC expansion but isn't it confirmed that Mercury Steam is already working on their next game? Who would make the expansion? I'm actually surprised we got this much TBH.

They're gonna make this game harder? WHAT? I'll just way for boss rush. But I will replay this jam some day. So good.

HOT DAMN! Really hoping that they are working on some expansion content. Maybe another big area or two to explore would be awesome.

I’d be tempted by Dread Mode if completing it came with some new unlocks. But without that… I’ll pass. Should be a fun speedrunning category, though.

I know people want a DLC expansion but isn't it confirmed that Mercury Steam is already working on their next game? Who would make the expansion? I'm actually surprised we got this much TBH.
i think they have two teams. the team that made dread/samus returns is not the same as the one working on spacelords or their new IP for 505 games.

Got to say well done to that. I can do some of the bosses without taking a hit but then they barf black stuff 4 times not 3 or something

192 deaths.... 0 and I'll be truly impressed

Metroid Dread looks like a great game, but I suck at games in general. SO making the mode for beginners was a good idea. I might try it one day :)

Dread mode could have been way cooler if they had:

Let you play through the game with the Metroid suit. You can only take one hit, but on the flip side, you can also blast away most enemies in one hit.

It'd be a lot less difficult, but way more fun imo.

Maybe I’ll give this another try. Played for two hours or so at launch and REALLY was not feeling it. Maybe the easier difficulty could help ease me in.

Let me make the EMMIs real dumb in the next patch! 😄

While I enjoy unlockables in my games, those aren't the kind of modes I look forward to in any game. Give me something like a new Resident Evil shop menu where you can unlock stuff with achievements for NG+ or unlockable costumes.

Well I managed to get stuck even with Rookie mode... But one of my daughters helped me through that section.
I hit a dead end with Kraid, read about the sequence breaking, but it was way too tricky for me, though I got close a few times
Based on what I hear about later boss difficulty I doubt I will be able to actually finish the game, but at least I am managing to advance so much further (15 hours into the game vs 5 hours on "Normal") and having a great time. Hopefully I won't be stuck again until the final boss at least.

Dread mode could have been way cooler if they had:

Let you play through the game with the Metroid suit. You can only take one hit, but on the flip side, you can also blast away most enemies in one hit.

It'd be a lot less difficult, but way more fun imo.
DMC games do that with Heaven or Hell modes, it's a fun playthrough.

Well I managed to get stuck even with Rookie mode... But one of my daughters helped me through that section.
I hit a dead end with Kraid, read about the sequence breaking, but it was way too tricky for me, though I got close a few times
Based on what I hear about later boss difficulty I doubt I will be able to actually finish the game, but at least I am managing to advance so much further (15 hours into the game vs 5 hours on "Normal") and having a great time. Hopefully I won't be stuck again until the final boss at least.
Kraid is probably trickier than most due to the limited space, as you get further in the space available in fights opens up and allows you to run around, over and under attacks.

I'm making progress on a 0% Dread Mode run. Just beat
Kraid
I'm dying a lot, but it's exciting. I think the most frustrating thing is dropping down a screen, and dying because you touched one pixel of an enemy you didn't see. Gotta be careful with that.

Rookie mode sounds nice for casual replays. Dread mode when you wanna feel true dread. Boss rush in a metroid game? :eek: i love that! Always love boss rush modes in games. It's nice they are adding a mode for ppl who wanna relax a bit more. Normal mode was already pretty tough, did not expect that good ol nintendo difficulity outta nowhere haha.

Back
Top Bottom