• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Forget about the Switch Pro, how are our favorite characters going to look in the Switch 3?

Yzz

Like Like
Pronouns
She/Her
Although the ratio in the video isn't exactly ultrawide, this gives us a glimpse of how Kirby can look with the latest rendering techniques:

This is another artistic interpretation of how Kirby will look on the year 2030:

12090801.jpg

Garchomp in the wild when the Mexico-inspired Gen 12 region launches:
d4sgc2l-4b636f43-cedd-4586-8b92-9dc7419ed5a1.jpg

Mercedes-benz has been on the hype train for a while and this is their take of how Mario will look in the distant future:
Screenshot-112.png

For real, when I look at how beautiful some games like Mario Odyssey or Luigi's Mansion 3 are on a quite weak hadrware like the Switch, I do think Switch 2 games will be very close to a Disney movie, or a game like Ratchet & Clank PS5 (based on hardware rumors on the Switch 2/Pro).

For real, when I look at how beautiful some games like Mario Odyssey or Luigi's Mansion 3 are on a quite weak hadrware like the Switch, I do think Switch 2 games will be very close to a Disney movie, or a game like Ratchet & Clank PS5 (based on hardware rumors on the Switch 2/Pro).
I think we're really, really close. I think we'll get to the point of games looking like their box art and renders, and that'll be it.
Yeah, we are getting closer and closer to the renders. At the same time, I think Nintendo will continue to experiment with "material" esthetics, like Paper (Paper Mario), Clay (Link's Awakening and Kirby's Rainbow Paintbrush), Wool (Yoshi's Wooly World)...

Even their first HD game, Nintendo Land, used the enhanced graphic power to create the "fakeness" of a theme park instead of a "real" world and they deliberately decided to make BotW "Ghibli-esque" instead of a "Twilight Princess HD".

Nintendo seems hesitant to create too-detailed graphics. When Wii U was announced, they said that not every game would benefit from them.
Eguchi said Nintendo has no aversion to doing technically-advanced graphics. "Now that we have a Wii in HD—the Wii U—there are games like Zelda or Metroid or Star Fox, that definitely will benefit from the ability to display those detailed graphics. But there [are] games like Mario and even Animal Crossing where those details might take away from that experience. We have to explore our options."
This point was reiterated after New Horizons' release
Takahashi said that many artists may hesitate to reduce the amount of information on a high-resolution screen. However, his intention with Animal Crossing's art style was to create an "imaginary gap" where players could place their own interpretation on certain game scenery.

"Because of the imaginary gap, the player tries to fill the gap by recalling information from their memory," he said. "And if you can project your thoughts on the gap, you can create goals and motives for play."
A material esthetic can take advantage of HD graphics and still leaves this "imaginary gap" to the player.

Last edited:
the exception to what I and others have said above is, of course, Pikmin, which will continue to benefit from higher fidelity in perpetuity
Photoreal Pikmin would will be absolutely incredible.
The real reason we haven't seen a new Pikmin yet.
The glorious return will dazzle all at once, though it threaten to make all blind.

Back
Top Bottom