• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Forget about the big award, what should be nominated for Indie Game of the Year at the TGA's?

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
We all know that the GOTY nomination race is heated, but lets talk about the smaller games. Not the big and flashy AAA titles. I'm talking about the beautiful indie games that warm our hearts every year. Those games that sometimes are a flash in the pan, or sometimes take the world by storm. For some of us, it is our true GOTY.

I'll be real. I am way behind on my indie game time for this year, so I'm looking for help from others for the nominations. The only one that I am really aware of is Sea of Stars lol.

Keep in mind, this category only has five nominations every year, so note that in your predictions.

3bbe60xpvdc91.jpg

Sadly I cannot be impartial for this thread đź‘€

Although... it may not be out yet but the Bluey game is technically indie!

I play very few games right at release, so the only 2023 indie game I’ve completed is Chants of Sennaar, although I’m currently playing through Psuedoregalia as well. They’re both very good.

I’ve also got A Space for the Unbound, Cocoon, and Gravity Circuit on my wish list, so I guess that fills out to 5 nominees.

I feel Pizza Tower would win the popular vote, while either Sea of Stars or Dave the Diver leans more towards the critic vote.

Isn’t Dave the Diver a Nexon game? They’re huge. Not remotely indie.

Anyway the right answer is Monsters of Mican obviously!!!

A Space for the Unbound and Chants of Sennaar feel like they're in an odd spot, popularity-wise, but I'd be thrilled to see either get a nomination.

My head says Sea of Stars but my heart says Nuclear Blaze (which came out on PC earlier but was released this year on Switch). It’s such a well-rounded, relatively short game that you can crash through in an evening or two. Original and meticulously crafted. Reviews marked it down for only being a handful of hours long but to be honest that’s a plus for me when a game refuses to outstay it’s welcome beyond what it’s got to say and show.

Dredge, Cocoon, Sea of Stars, and Dave the Diver are all essentially locked in.

Last one is up for grabs, Pizza Tower would be sick.

Today I learned that Dave the Diver is not an indie game. Huh. The marketing really followed up on that perception, if unintentionally. Yeah, I'd say "published by a subsidiary of the Maplestory people" should take it put of the running.

Sad (albeit not expected) to not see more mentions of Venba in here!

The highest rated 2023 indie games on Open Critic:

Videoverse (92)
Tents and Trees (92)
8-Bit Adventures 2 (91)
Turbo Overkill (91)
Jack Jeanne (90)

I would absolutely love to see Gunbrella in the discussion!!

Just an absolutely fabulous action platformer that completely nails everything it goes for. Chants of Sennaar and Sea of Stars feel like they should be in the mix also, and Wargroove 2.

My head says Sea of Stars but my heart says Nuclear Blaze (which came out on PC earlier but was released this year on Switch). It’s such a well-rounded, relatively short game that you can crash through in an evening or two. Original and meticulously crafted. Reviews marked it down for only being a handful of hours long but to be honest that’s a plus for me when a game refuses to outstay it’s welcome beyond what it’s got to say and show.

I REALLY want to play this because the soundtrack is by the same composer who worked on Cybershadow lol and also it looks great, I've only held off because it's apparently quite short so I was hoping for a sale.

84hdjx.jpg

Anyway, I think mine is gonna be Coccoon but I need to finish it first

edit: Unless Lunacid is actually eligible. I played a lot in early access and it’s finally out now

Dave the Diver isn't indie. It's a nexon game lol. For me it's HROT. I'm also liking Lunacid from what I've played.

give it to me
Not to toot my own horn but once I have the time/knowledge to make indie games it’s OVER for other devs. Nintendo, move over, Derachi is coming through with hits like “low poly convenience” and “baseball but it’s warioware”

Chained Echoes came out in December, which means it’s eligible this year. I also think it’s a better game than Sea of Stars so hopefully it gets nominated.

It wasn’t the best game but I hope Viewfinder gets a nom, it had some really cool mechanics.

It’ll definitely get nominated in the debut indie category, at least.

I've been slacking when it comes to indie games this year.
Real bad even.

THere's plenty I want to play but have not yet played... and since Sea of Stars is the only one I have played, I'll default to that answer. But it was also a very good game :p

Hmmm, difficult to guess as I don't know what they qualify as indie. Baldur's Gate 3 could be indie too as Larian is not owned by anyone.

But if we keep it to small budget stuff, then there are lots of potential candidates this year:

DREDGE
Chants of Senaar
Blasphemous II
A Space for the Unbound
Shadow Gambit
The Raft
Sea of Stars
Killer Frequency
Cassette Beasts
The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood

Just came today but I'm having a total blast with it, I'd add Little Goody Two Shoes to the list. Art style is sooo dreamy and it's getting pretty good reviews.

And the years not over there are still few indies coming out in the remaining 2 months. The one that could surprise everyone is Thirsty Suitors. Such an interesting mashup of genres and the game looks so good.

We all know that the GOTY nomination race is heated, but lets talk about the smaller games. Not the big and flashy AAA titles. I'm talking about the beautiful indie games that warm our hearts every year. Those games that sometimes are a flash in the pan, or sometimes take the world by storm. For some of us, it is our true GOTY.

I'll be real. I am way behind on my indie game time for this year, so I'm looking for help from others for the nominations. The only one that I am really aware of is Sea of Stars lol.

Keep in mind, this category only has five nominations every year, so note that in your predictions.
Sea of Stars for TGA?

Is blasphemous 2 an indie game? If so it's the only (new) indie game I've played this year so this one

Predicted this in the other thread:

Dave the Diver (I think this will be classed as indie despite not really being one as the dev as a subsidiary of Nexon)
Sea of Stars
Cocoon
Dredge
One of (or two depending on how Dave is classified) Venba / Pizza Tower / Chants of Sennaar

Don't think my opinion has changed too much other than wanting Sennaar to be a lock but that's more my preference.

Would like to see A Space for the Unbound and Planet of Lana be recognised but not sure they'll make the cut this year.

I don’t care if Nintendo published the game, but Wonder was made by a C team so they probably had less support than most indie devs.

I think Chants of Sennaar has a good shot since it had a lot of love from media members when it came out and that style of game tends to get a lot of play at these shows.

I don't care if they don't win, but Pizza Tower and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk better be nominated for Best Soundtrack too.
I know they usually just nominate big massive orchestra soundtracks for that at TGAs, and I wouldn't be surprised if something like TotK won, but for me, best soundtrack is between those 2 and Advance Wars Reboot Camp. Just nonstop bangers.

MEGAM........I mean Gravity Circuit.

Would be my vote.

That's not to say Pizza and Cyber Funk didn't deliver, because they damn well did. But Gravity Circuit just resonated with me more as a Mega Man fan, to such a degree that I would say it's the most enthralling twist on the classical formula since MM Zero.

Back
Top Bottom