• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club For those that have replayed BOTW, do you always go for 120 shrines?

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
We all have our favorite games that we will revisit. I can't imagine doing a playthrough of Super Mario 64 without collecting every star. It just isn't possible for me to play it any other way. I have yet to revisit BOTW since it's release in 2017, but I have a hard time imagining going back to finish all 120 shrines.

For those of you who have returned to Hyrule, is it always a 100% shrine run?

Only replayed it once (just one month ago, actually) but I went for a 100% shrine run on Master Mode. Placed the very arbitrary and random restriction of no heart containers either, at least until I reached a point where I couldn't progress without getting one (two of the shrines are locked behind completing the divine beasts, along with the 16 DLC shrines). Was a lot of fun, even though I don't like Master Mode overall.

Probably won't replay Breath of the Wild for many years, but when I inevitably do I'll probably go 100% shrine run again.

No, many of the times that I replayed the game I went exclusively to the main story/main quest and it feels very good and a great experience, only doing the 24 shrines necessary to obtain the MS.

In that way, the game keeps a good balance and it feels similar to previous entries.

Didn't even do it the first time. The moment any part of a game or gameplay starts feeling like Ubisoft open world, I bail on that thing and continue playing normally. Same as Ghost of Tsushima. These games and their open worlds are amazing, but I don't want to do busywork.

These ganes are more enjoyable if you don't complete everything imo. The pacing gets better, and when you replay them, you will experience something you missed in your last playthrough,

Did it two times and did the 120 shrines the two times. And I'll do it again when I inevitably play the game a third time!

I've done 10 playthroughs and I get all the shrines every single time. At this point it would almost feel wrong not to get them lol.

I played it three times. I got all 120 shrines on my third playthrough. I also upgraded upgraded my Hero of the Wild armor all the way. I also upgraded my champions tunic, hylian hood and hylian trousers up all the way as well as my ancient armor set. I found all the memories and songs from Cass.

I enjoyed gathering the parts for the armor upgrades more than I expected. In my first playthrough, I only upgraded the Ancient Armor all the way as I enjoyed hunting guardians. I’ve never felt as great of an example of Taking A Level Up in Badass as after pulling the master sword and then going from fleeing/teleporting away from guardians to going and hunting them. In my third playthrough, I enjoyed figuring out how to gather dragon parts.

My only regret with the three playthroughs is that I looked up how to get through the Lost Woods and accidentally spoiled my way to the Master Sword before I ever saw the clues at the Woodland Stable.

I’m playing Tears of the Kingdom spoiler/guide free. My only spoiler so far was reading something about the number of something to find. You only get one first playthrough.

Currently kicking the can down the road on my second playthrough (this time in Master Mode), completing everything as in full Compendium, all quests, all armor upgrades, all Korok seeds, all minibosses (including Guardians), all DLC, and of course, all Shrines were the conditions I set for myself.

That said, I won’t play Master Mode again, and I probably won’t do another 100% run of Normal Mode either. I’d feel compelled to complete all Shrines though.

One of my biggest gaming sins is never getting all 120 shrines, and I played BotW twice. It's especially bad since I just got all 152 shrines/120 lightroots in TotK. I feel like finding them all was easier in TotK since you could use the depths to get a rough idea of where all the surface shrines were, and the 32 sky shrines were easy due to how the sky is designed.

Back
Top Bottom