• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware For the Switch 2, what would you rather pick?

Would you rather…?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
6000203880868.jpg

So assume you get 4K output no matter what, thanks to DLSS being all but confirmed.

The question is simple - better specs for an inferior screen, or a better screen for compromised specs? What do you pick for the Switch 2, and why?

I honestly don't care much about specs, but I'm voting for it in this case because it will only strengthen third-party support. The more games, the better.

Dude honestly either would be fantastic at this point

But OLED screen is the way to go

you know, it’s undeniable that the OLED is objectively a better screen

but honestly? Even today, the original Switch screen is genuinely extremely nice

Easy, specs. Adding an OLED screen to a more expensive model afterwards is easier than raising the base level performance.

Specs over the screen. An OLED is nice but I never play in portable mode anyway, and the specs will draw in support, not an OLED screen.

Specs would enable better games support on the whole. Potentially more games > nicer screen, which still could be added later.

I’m gonna pick PS4 level specs with an OLED screen.

Visually, I think we more or less topped out with the PS4 era. Yes, graphics can and will still get better, but in big picture (heh) terms I think we’ve hit a point where all games at that hardware level will look good no matter what. Taking that level of specs with the gorgeous OLED is much preferable to an inferior screen in exchange for specs that while better, won't impact my enjoyment of the Switch at all.

Put simply, if the current Switch OLED is a 1 in specs and 10 in screen, I’d rather take a 5 in specs with a 10 in screen, than a 6.5 in specs and a 4 in screen.

And this is before I even consider stuff like DLSS.

Better specs, ofc.

Add on the OLED screen a year later, perhaps.

Need OLED. PS4 is still getting cross gen games for the forseeable future anyway. People were able to downport PS4 games to Switch so I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to do PS5 -> PS4 specs.

If your getting DLSS no matter what then what exactly would the difference be between the two other than screens? I know the difference but others may not.
One has higher specs than the other.

I'd go for the LCD screen one since I rarely play handheld mode. Switch is basically a home console to me.

If you’re getting DLSS no matter what then what exactly would the difference be between the two other than screens? I know the difference but others may not.
DLSS is an upscaling technique. It’s very sophisticated and achieves great results but it’s still just an upscaling technique. It can make your games punch above their weight visually but your games are still designed for whatever level of spec they were designed around before DLSS prettied them up. But the hardware you’re using has other impacts on your game beyond just the visuals - actual game design can be impacted by it too. In this case, the two hardware profiles are almost a generation apart. DLSS can cover the visual distance, but nothing can make up the hardware difference elsewhere.

IPS LCD is still good. My issue with the early Switch model was the large bezel. Shrink those and give me higher specs and I'm fine.

LCD is fine for me. I split my time between both handheld and docked, and I'd rather have a stronger base console than a fancier screen.

Plus I'd be more paranoid about damaging the OLED screen, for whatever nonsensical reason.

I voted for LCD assuming we would eventually get an OLED version eventually but honestly I'm not sure if I could even last a year without it

DLSS is an upscaling technique. It’s very sophisticated and achieves great results but it’s still just an upscaling technique. It can make your games punch above their weight visually but your games are still designed for whatever level of spec they were designed around before DLSS prettied them up. But the hardware you’re using has other impacts on your game beyond just the visuals - actual game design can be impacted by it too. In this case, the two hardware profiles are almost a generation apart. DLSS can cover the visual distance, but nothing can make up the hardware difference elsewhere.
This also doesn’t answer the question I posed. Saying they are “almost a gen apart” or “one is stronger” is just vague. For instance your PS4 level choice; are we talking PS4 level with more modern gains in hardware advancement or matching base PS4 with the trade off being an OLED screen. Like I said some of us know but others may not entirely know what the the options presented offer & are trading off for their screen.

It's easy to have a version with an upgraded to OLED screen later. It's more difficult to have a bunch of games that make good use a version of the hardware with better specs later, as seen on the 3ds. No reason to choose OLED out the gate of these options.

Anyways to answer the poll. Take the LCD then make a OLED model down the line. There is no reason to start with an OLED initially if these are the only two choices.

OP I hope you're able to succeed in your mission of willing this thing into existence
I managed to make Persona 5 on Switch be real, this is a walk in the park by comparison

This also doesn’t answer the question I posed. Saying they are “almost a gen apart” or “one is stronger” is just vague. For instance your PS4 level choice; are we talking PS4 level with more modern gains in hardware advancement or matching base PS4 with the trade off being an OLED screen. Like I said some of us know but others may not entirely know what the the options presented offer & are trading off for their screen.
I’m not sure what you’re looking for. We are talking about purely hypothetical hardware in the most superficial terms possible. The kind of deep dive on what the trade offs would entail doesn’t exist for this question because this hardware doesn’t exist. The most I can tell you is what I envisioned, which is hardware that functionally equals PS4 and hardware that functionally equals XBX, both using similarly modern chipsets (no different from the Switch itself on that front), both being DLSS enabled.

Other than that, what kind of trade offs would specific GPU functionality or RAM, or memory pool splits, or GPU frequency, or all that, would entail? Don’t know. This is hypothetical hardware, and even if it wasn’t, I don’t think most people posting in this thread, myself included, have the know how necessary to be able to properly understand and explain anything more than just those rough details.

I managed to make Persona 5 on Switch be real, this is a walk in the park by comparison

I’m not sure what you’re looking for. We are talking about purely hypothetical hardware in the most superficial terms possible. The kind of deep dive on what the trade offs would entail doesn’t exist for this question because this hardware doesn’t exist. The most I can tell you is what I envisioned, which is hardware that functionally equals PS4 and hardware that functionally equals XBX, both using similarly modern chipsets (no different from the Switch itself on that front), both being DLSS enabled.

Other than that, what kind of trade offs would specific GPU functionality or RAM, or memory pool splits, or GPU frequency, or all that, would entail? Don’t know. This is hypothetical hardware, and even if it wasn’t, I don’t think most people posting in this thread, myself included, have the know how necessary to be able to properly understand and explain anything more than just those rough details.
I’m not asking to get super technical because for most people that flies over their head. Even on a superficial level there can be more details made to both questions to think of the polls. For instance a PS4 level Switch with an OLED & DLSS is not bad. When we are talking trade offs does that machine comfortably get PS5 level ports or is it more like the current Switch with it being more sporadic, etc?

I’ll just leave it at that since it seems to be going off topic. Sorry for the disturbance.

I’m not asking to get super technical because for most people that flies over their head. Even on a superficial level there can be more details made to both questions to think of the polls. For instance a PS4 level Switch with an OLED & DLSS is not bad. When we are talking trade offs does that machine comfortably get PS5 level ports or is it more like the current Switch with it being more sporadic, etc?

I’ll just leave it at that since it seems to be going off topic. Sorry for the disturbance.
No, those are good questions!

The way I imagine it is that even a PS4 level Switch with a modern chipset and DLSS will get ports from PS5 easier than the current Switch from PS4 (which was already shockingly good at this, better than what I’d expected frankly). I assume an even more powerful system would be even better at getting ports, yes, but in both cases I’m imagining the successor does better than the Switch’s already unexpectedly good performance on this front.

I feel like "Series S" is the best of the three as it is next gen with features that neither PS4 or Xbox One X can support I assume, like ray-tracing.

Only drawback apparently is that Series S isn't 4K compatible somehow? So if you get that plus 4K, then you're perfectly set.

Specs. Shiny screen don't mean diddly squat if games are struggling to maintain 30fps

I'm guessing Drake will end up "in-between" PS4 / XSS (docked) and reuse the current OLED panel to save costs.

I suppose another question is if they'd change handheld screen resolution - 1080p IPS LCD vs 720p OLED lol.

I have an OLED and I still prefer using the Lite for portable play.

So I say better specs.

No, those are good questions!

The way I imagine it is that even a PS4 level Switch with a modern chipset and DLSS will get ports from PS5 easier than the current Switch from PS4 (which was already shockingly good at this, better than what I’d expected frankly). I assume an even more powerful system would be even better at getting ports, yes, but in both cases I’m imagining the successor does better than the Switch’s already unexpectedly good performance on this front.
I would agree. A PS4 level Switch would do well in getting ports from PS5. It would probably start falling off a little towards the end of gen. The gains would most likely be consistency & stability for games on the machine; though this is dependent on game. While there would still be compromises it wouldn’t be as drastic like we see with some Switch ports.

If looking at the Series S machine it would then be all about performing the other machines job but at a higher threshold. So, a longer time receiving PS5 ports, more consistency & stability at higher thresholds, perhaps for longer-depends on the game but the fluctuations won’t be dependent on it. Less variance on compromises for games that are ported.

At least that is what I’m getting at with how your describing it.
I feel like "Series S" is the best of the three as it is next gen with features that neither PS4 or Xbox One X can support I assume, like ray-tracing.

Only drawback apparently is that Series S isn't 4K compatible somehow? So if you get that plus 4K, then you're perfectly set.
If in this hypothetical the Series S Switch gets that out the box with some other stuff then it is the best choice. I still think the second option is just better since an OLED screen can always come at another date. The base is the more important question between the two since the Series S Switch keeps a higher hypothetical ceiling for a longer period of time.

I honestly don't care much about specs, but I'm voting for it in this case because it will only strengthen third-party support. The more games, the better.
More or less where I'm at

For this question to give me more cause to pause it'd need to be like

Which would you rather have

A ps4 launch spec system with oled, backwards compatability, and a gamepass style service for all Nintendo games arcade through Switch 2

Or

An xbox series S spec system with an lcd screen, no backwards compatability, and the same kind of half baked nso for classic Nintendo games.

This assumes Switch 2 will be another Switch with nothing changed which I don't think will happen. Neither I'd want such a thing, one generation of Switch was quite enough for me.

I want a handheld with zero bezels, a display all around the device. Games still will be in a rectangular display but rest of the screen will be used for HUD and naming controls. And yes, you'd need both OLED and very beefed up specs for such thing.

Specs because I play on TV and they could release an OLED version later

An xbox series S spec system with an lcd screen, no backwards compatability...

I would honestly be extremely surprised if they pulled a new console that is not backwards compatible at this point. The whole point of the jump was to get to a new platform that could be expanded, they don't need a new architecture lol

I'm gonna miss the OLED screen since it was helluva upgrade over previous screen

But since I am mostly a docked player the choice is easy - Option 2.
Count me in on the later revision OLED though!

Specs.

But I’ll hate it if they make this stupid choice. Please don’t drop OLED in a new more expensive product Nintendo.

Better specs with lesser screen.
Better specs because it would probably mean better third party support (to an extent obviously) with maybe less dirty port jobs.
But I don't expect to reach X box X power. PS4 level with more modern features and efficient support of modern and popular middleware would already be enough.

If it's the same price either way I'd take the specs, if the screen is significantly cheaper I'd take that

My only concern are the cost considerations. PS4 specs launching in 2023 could easily be $300-350. XSX in a hybrid from Nintendo probably be a lot more.

Otherwise, I went with PS5/XSX bc it'd go a long way towards ensuring western 3rd party support.

Back
Back
Top Bottom