• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO Five Rare games join Nintendo Switch Online today: R.C. Pro-Am, Snake Rattle ‘n’ Roll, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Killer Instinct, Blast Corps

I'd like to see Killer Instinct Gold, Diddy Kong Racing, and Perfect Dark, but that should pretty much give most of the best of Rare's catalog.

Was playing Killer Instinct on Switch yesterday (SNES version) ... kinda wild this is the first time since 1996 that a Nintendo system has had a Killer Instinct game on it I believe.

KI Gold on that shitty N64 emulator? :(

What we need is a proper port of the first two games in their Arcade version imo!

One thing that's worth pointing out is that the credits for the DKC GBA remakes make it clear that Nintendo actually does own the code/program for them.

6068c7fc93a12f44fabd912f9ee9c8f1.png

Though funny enough, unlike the SNES originals, Nintendo has yet to re-release these.

Couldn’t it pertain specifically to those releases? The code for those games wouldn’t be entirely the same as the originals as they’ve had to edit it for all of the changes made to these versions.

KI Gold on that shitty N64 emulator? :(

What we need is a proper port of the first two games in their Arcade version imo!

The ports they did for those are exclusive to the KI Definitive Edition on Xbox. Unfortunately, that version of KI no longer exists and the ports went away with it. They are considering finding a way to bringing them back in the future, though in a different manner. However, unless they’re to be sold individually in their potential re-release, there isn’t a current path for them to be a part of NSO. They’d have to be on eshop.

Last edited:
You never really know what the entire deal with DKC is. It's entirely possible that Nintendo doesn't own the code, but it may just be the many Rare references that hold the releases back. After all, Nintendo didn't own the DK family in their entirety at a certain point.

The speculation doesn't change that Nintendo has to always be negotiating with Microsoft for releasing those games. As confounding as that may be.

I'd like to see Killer Instinct Gold, Diddy Kong Racing, and Perfect Dark, but that should pretty much give most of the best of Rare's catalog.
Unlike Banjo, Perfect Dark's HD version on Xbox 360 is more than just resolution conversion. Better models, better textures and better controls. I can see Rare/MS wanting to port that one instead dumping the game on NSO.

Unlike Banjo, Perfect Dark's HD version on Xbox 360 is more than just resolution conversion. Better models, better textures and better controls. I can see Rare/MS wanting to port that one instead dumping the game on NSO.

This applies to Banjo as well. The 360 version isn’t just a simple port. And besides that, Nintendo’s entire premise for NSO is that you get the original games in their original incarnations. They won’t make an exception for Perfect Dark. If it comes, it will be the original game as you remember it.

This applies to Banjo as well. The 360 version isn’t just a simple port. And besides that, Nintendo’s entire premise for NSO is that you get the original games in their original incarnations. They won’t make an exception for Perfect Dark. If it comes, it will be the original game as you remember it.
Did we play the same games? 360 version of Banjo is pretty identical with exceptions of widescreen and HD. Nintendo logos were replaced with Microsoft. Even the textures are the same:

While the 360 version of Perfect Dark has much more work done, lots of brand new textures, even some characters look totally different (notice the hair on the guy near elevator):

I know, keeping the expectations low saves from the disappointment but I feel this is not the time to be a realist, I literally expect lots of things on Switch after Microsoft opened the floodgates. One of them is Rare making collections of older games to port elsewhere. Viva Piñata should be one of them, Perfect Dark is another. Perfect Dark Zero + Perfect Dark HD sounds like an excellent collection, I'm already drooling over a potential LRG limited edition lol

360 Banjo has gameplay changes. Not massive I think, but they removed Note Score, and the Stop n Swop items work in Kazooie without cheats and no longer work in Tooie, because they did this whole thing of linking up the three games to fulfill that concept (imo a bad decision in hindsight that just makes Tooie a worse game standalone without really adding anything, it would be different if they had actually gone and finished things like Polar Banjo and Bottles' Revenge that weren't already in Tooie).

360 Banjo has gameplay changes. Not massive I think, but they removed Note Score, and the Stop n Swop items work in Kazooie without cheats and no longer work in Tooie, because they did this whole thing of linking up the three games to fulfill that concept (imo a bad decision in hindsight that just makes Tooie a worse game standalone without really adding anything, it would be different if they had actually gone and finished things like Polar Banjo and Bottles' Revenge that weren't already in Tooie).
I remember reading that Tooie's Stop N Swop is the same as N64 if you don't have Kazooie or N&B on your Xbox account, but I have no way to know if that's true unless I try emulating it. I doubt many Banjo fans only have Tooie on their 360 anyways, and with Rare Replay that number is definitely even lower.

Personally even with Stop N Swop kinda making things worse standalone, I still think the XBLA version is the one people should play for the framerate alone.

Did we play the same games? 360 version of Banjo is pretty identical with exceptions of widescreen and HD. Nintendo logos were replaced with Microsoft. Even the textures are the same:

While the 360 version of Perfect Dark has much more work done, lots of brand new textures, even some characters look totally different (notice the hair on the guy near elevator):

I know, keeping the expectations low saves from the disappointment but I feel this is not the time to be a realist, I literally expect lots of things on Switch after Microsoft opened the floodgates. One of them is Rare making collections of older games to port elsewhere. Viva Piñata should be one of them, Perfect Dark is another. Perfect Dark Zero + Perfect Dark HD sounds like an excellent collection, I'm already drooling over a potential LRG limited edition lol

You’re focusing solely on the visuals and texture changes. The 360 versions of all of these games had gameplay changes and additional content added to them. Banjo has Leaderboards; the note system has changed as you now only collect Notes a single time; Stop N Swop works and is connected to all three 360 Banjo games; some cheats have been disabled completely.

Perfect Dark isn’t going to be any different. Heck, they wouldn’t even update the controls for Goldeneye even though the near identical version on Xbox has updated controls schemes to work like a modern day shooter. Nintendo wants the original games in their original forms. Every single game on NSO is like that. Which honestly is pretty cool, even if it means you’re getting an inferior version of an updated game.

Perfect Dark isn’t going to be any different. Heck, they wouldn’t even update the controls for Goldeneye even though the near identical version on Xbox has updated controls schemes to work like a modern day shooter. Nintendo wants the original games in their original forms. Every single game on NSO is like that. Which honestly is pretty cool, even if it means you’re getting an inferior version of an updated game.
Yeah, updated controls is another reason I don't want Perfect Dark on NSO. It's just super hard to get used to, especially on Switch Lite.

Still, they can't release Zero on NSO, if Rare wants it on Switch, they're gonna port it separately (I hope they will).

I remember reading that Tooie's Stop N Swop is the same as N64 if you don't have Kazooie or N&B on your Xbox account, but I have no way to know if that's true unless I try emulating it. I doubt many Banjo fans only have Tooie on their 360 anyways, and with Rare Replay that number is definitely even lower.

Personally even with Stop N Swop kinda making things worse standalone, I still think the XBLA version is the one people should play for the framerate alone.
I have Nuts & Bolts but not Kazooie... Can't believe Nuts & Bolts is so bad it's making Tooie worse just by existing on the same system. (But yeah, the handful of issues with the XBLA version don't quite outweigh the massive improvements to resolution and framerate.)

Yeah, updated controls is another reason I don't want Perfect Dark on NSO. It's just super hard to get used to, especially on Switch Lite.

Still, they can't release Zero on NSO, if Rare wants it on Switch, they're gonna port it separately (I hope they will).

Perfect Dark and Conker would likely be included in a separate NSO app similar to what’s offered in Japan for higher rated games. But I’m afraid wanting anything beyond the original game and expecting them to be updated in any way whatsoever is just a pipe dream. But like I said though, it’s good to have a place to play the original games in their original forms, even if it’s not ideal. I do have to give Nintendo props for offering that.

Maybe some day there would be option to purchase the better versions on eshop, but they would still have to be entirely reworked as they can’t just be released as is. That’s why you’ll never see Rare Replay on Switch unless all of the Xbox 360 games were removed from it and replaced with something else.

EDITED.

Last edited:
Would Killer Instinct Gold really need to be in an 18+ app? The original release was rated T and obviously KI SNES (also rated T) was just included in the SNES app without needing a separate adults-only app for it.

Would Killer Instinct Gold really need to be in an 18+ app? The original release was rated T and obviously KI SNES (also rated T) was just included in the SNES app without needing a separate adults-only app for it.

I find that Killer Instinct Gold is just a game that people consistently forget was only rated T.

You’re both correct. I don’t think it would need to be and I did forget that it wasn’t rated M. That’s my mistake.

Perfect Dark and Conker would likely be included in a separate NSO app similar to what’s offered in Japan for higher rated games. But I’m afraid wanting anything beyond the original game and expecting them to be updated in any way whatsoever is just a pipe dream. But like I said though, it’s good to have a place to play the original games in their original forms, even if it’s not ideal. I do have to give Nintendo props for offering that.

Maybe some day there would be option to purchase the better versions on eshop, but they would still have to be entirely reworked as they can’t just be released as is. That’s why you’ll never see Rare Replay on Switch unless all of the Xbox 360 games were removed from it and replaced with something else.

EDITED.
I would sacrifice every Viva Pinata for StarFox Adventures and apologise for nothing if it meant Rare Replay on Switch.

I would sacrifice every Viva Pinata for StarFox Adventures and apologise for nothing if it meant Rare Replay on Switch.

Well minus the 360 version of games and 360 games themselves, at the rate it’s going you technically will have Rare Replay on Switch in all but name via NSO. It’s getting all the games anyway so far. And even some that are exclusively on Switch!

Well minus the 360 version of games and 360 games themselves, at the rate it’s going you technically will have Rare Replay on Switch in all but name via NSO. It’s getting all the games anyway so far. And even some that are exclusively on Switch!
I can't let it rest though until we see Conker and Perfect Dark on an equivalent 18+ N64 NSO app that releases in North America 🥲

I can't let it rest though until we see Conker and Perfect Dark on an equivalent 18+ N64 NSO app that releases in North America 🥲

I think it will happen eventually, but those two for that reason will probably be at the bottom of the pile haha You’ll have to settle for KI, Tooie, DK64, and DKR first!

I think it will happen eventually, but those two for that reason will probably be at the bottom of the pile haha You’ll have to settle for KI, Tooie, DK64, and DKR first!
Then I hope DKR is at the front of the list because that's about the only one I have any nostalgia of those four 😅

Back
Top Bottom