• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Five billionaires, a metal tube, and an ocean: One Titanic mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would make the observation that there is a world of difference between not having sympathy for those involved (which is perfectly normal given the wealth involved) and actively joking and memeing about those involved (which is just tacky and crass). I say this as someone who got a warning last year when I joked about Queen Elizabeth and her family all being lizards after the announcement of her death. I thought I was being edgy and funny, but I was actually just being crass

You didn't get warned just for making fun of a dying monarch. Your thread got closed because the anti-semitic connotations of your joke. You were even told that you could remake the thread and still make fun of her.

The depiction of global leaders as reptiles has connotations relating to anti-semitic conspiracy theories, so we are closing this thread. You are welcome to open another thread about this news story (you're even allowed to make fun of the Queen). -Aurc, BozPaggs, hologram, paranoodle

Billionaires are a blight, not about to start caring when they misadventure themselves into oblivion.

The closest I'll get to sympathy is to hope their likely deaths were quick and painless.

If that’s the sub, it probably imploded days ago. Pretty horrific, but better than the alternative.

I don't think you need to hate billionaires to see the irony and comedy in a company that complained about safety regulations having a catastrophic failure while trying to visit the Titanic. Obviously this is a horrible way to die but this is one of those "What are you gonna do? Stab me?- Quote from Man Stabbed" situations, people are gonna make jokes.

Still not over the CEO dipshit fired one of their engineers because they were concerned about the safety. Fucked around and found out I guess,
yeah, just absolute hubris. They also refused to get it certified to maritime safety standards.

On Jan. 18, 2018, OceanGate employee David Lochridge forwarded to the company's leaders an engineering report he had authored that was critical of OceanGate's research and development process for the Titan, according to lawsuits Lochridge and OceanGate filed against one another that year.

In particular, Lochridge was concerned about the materials used in the hull and a lack of testing performed on the hull to measure its ability to withstand the intense pressures of deep waters.

The company called a meeting the next day to discuss Lochridge's concerns, according to the lawsuits. At the conclusion of the meeting, Lochridge stated he could not accept OceanGate's design decisions and would not authorize any crewed voyage without further testing. He was then fired.

Almost a year after the Marine Technology Society letter was sent, OceanGate published a blogpost explaining why it would not have Titan certified. In the post, the company acknowledged that classification assures “vessels are designed, constructed and inspected to accepted standards”, but claimed it did little to “weed out sub-par vessel operators”. The company claimed “operator error” was responsible for the vast majority of accidents.
OceanGate was also concerned that the classing process could slow down development and act as a drag on innovation. “Bringing an outside entity up to speed on every innovation before it is put into real-world testing is anathema to rapid innovation,” it said.
In an interview with the Smithsonian magazine in 2019, Rush complained that the commercial sub industry had not “innovated or grown – because they have all these regulations”.
It is not clear whether the Titan has received industry certification since the blogpost was published, but in 2022 a CBS News reporter who was due to travel on the vessel reported that the waiver he signed read: “This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body.”

Reminds me of how one of the engineers at NASA pleaded with them to not launch the Challenger, and NASA was like, lol shut up n00b.
And then they proceeded to do the same mistake with the Columbia.

All those professional engineers determined to review craft made to travel extreme conditions that are deadly to human life, reviewing stuff and speaking out with ‘this isn’t going to work, it’s not safe’. How dare they get in the way of the innovative, brave example of leadership that is ‘it’ll probably be fine, by the way, you’re fired’. /s

Last edited:
I am not an expert, so basically once they hit a certain depths level it just collapsed on them instantly?
I think that's the current working theory until they find more. The whistleblower that was fired had raised concerns about the material used for the hull so it wouldn't surprise me.

I am not an expert, so basically once they hit a certain depths level it just collapsed on them instantly?
My general understanding is that the material didn’t collapse in on itself, but rather shattered entirely like glass. Still instant, though.

The mind boggling thing about this is that travelling that deep into the ocean is more dangerous than travelling to space.

You'd think if there's anything you want to double and triple check the safety standards and regulations for, it's a craft which literally has higher risk than a rocket.

I for once would like to think on the billionaire families of the departed. Although us and them are separated by an ocean of money and inequality, they are surely right now in a sea of tears. Feeling the extreme deep pressure of public scrutiny must be a titanic effort during times like this I bet, we can just hope that they can stay afloat in this sad moment.

This was a really disheartening thread to read through. Five deaths are five deaths. Nothing to be happy, glib or nonchalant about.
I pray every night....for my family and loved ones, for a lot of things. These people are not one of those things sorry.
I’m curious why you pray/what God you pray to. Because if it’s the Christian God, Christ is pretty clear we must pray for our enemies. Loving “those who love you” is easy. “Are not even the tax collectors doing that?” Are not even the billionaires doing that?

If it’s not the Christian God, then you can disregard that quotation! Although I would still challenge everyone in here that sympathy is perhaps at its most valuable, and we are at our most human, when it’s difficult to give and given anyway.

I’m curious why you pray/what God you pray to. Because if it’s the Christian God, Christ is pretty clear we must pray for our enemies. Loving “those who love you” is easy. “Are not even the tax collectors doing that?” Are not even the billionaires doing that?

If it’s not the Christian God, then you can disregard that quotation! Although I would still challenge everyone in here that sympathy is perhaps at its most valuable, and we are at our most human, when it’s difficult to give and given anyway.
I mainly pray to the Virgin's Mary face that appeared in my Costco Pizza 2 years ago. I even made local news and everything, allowed people to come here and worship as well, made a pretty penny too.

That count's as Christian? :unsure:

If you are in a position of great wealth and priviledge in times of great social inequity, and you choose to spend precious free time and resources that most people do not have access to doing frivolous and distasteful things like going on a leisure trip to a mass grave, then you need to own your choices and accept that you are going to be disliked for your actions.

This was a really disheartening thread to read through. Five deaths are five deaths. Nothing to be happy, glib or nonchalant about.
I mean, for the idiot who built that submarine? My sympathy can only go so far. He blatantly and arrogantly avoided classifying his sub and refused to put it under inspection. When the test run failed, he turned off Wifi and fired the whistleblower to make sure he could still sail that deathtrap.

Like this isn't just fucking around and finding out. This is being told putting your hand on the moving buzzsaw will kill you, screaming how you are immortal, then jumping head first into the buzzsaw. The other guests aren't that better honestly. The only person I will extent sympathy for is the 19 year old because it seems he was pressured to join by the rest. For everyone else? Yeah sure it's tragic but this entire story is a clear case of people thinking because they have enough money, they can defy nature. Nature doesn't care, it will destroy you if you don't follow her rules.

Even our buddy Jim Cameron says « these people are fucking dumb, lmao »

Seriously though, people say « think of the families » since yesterday, and while I feel sympathy for them, I cannot help but think that maybe the people who put themselves in a homemade submarine should’ve been the first ones to think of their families before signing the death waiver.

I mainly pray to the Virgin's Mary face that appeared in my Costco Pizza 2 years ago. I even made local news and everything, allowed people to come here and worship as well, made a pretty penny too.

That count's as Christian? :unsure:
You don't have to be an ass in your reply just because we disagree. You said you pray so I asked a question and tried to engage in a discussion. No biggie.
Do you think all deaths are equal?
Certainly they're not all equal in their measure of tragedy, but a human life is a human life. They're all equal in the solemnity they're owed.

Today begins some very serious, personal suffering for those surviving them. We have no clue the moral character or wealth of the grieving, there's every possibility someone mourning one of those billionaires is the exact opposite of the person who died, so at least out of respect for them.

Last edited:
Even our buddy Jim Cameron says « these people are fucking dumb, lmao »

Seriously though, people say « think of the families » since yesterday, and while I feel sympathy for them, I cannot help but think that maybe the people who put themselves in a homemade submarine should’ve been the first ones to think of their families before signing the death waiver.

Exactly! if this was entirely fictional and in a movie people would call it bad satire for being too on the nose

Sorry for double post, the other message just came in.
I mean, for the idiot who built that submarine? My sympathy can only go so far. He blatantly and arrogantly avoided classifying his sub and refused to put it under inspection. When the test run failed, he turned off Wifi and fired the whistleblower to make sure he could still sail that deathtrap.
I want to be clear, I absolutely agree that his accountability here is undeniable and the blood of these people are on his hands, from what I've read.
but this entire story is a clear case of people thinking because they have enough money, they can defy nature. Nature doesn't care, it will destroy you if you don't follow her rules
100%, and to your point these stories only ever have one ending.

I recall reading earlier that when an implosion like this happens, it occurs faster than the time it takes for a neuron to respond in your brain, so they were literally dead before they knew what happened.

Yeah, it seems like it was pretty akin to straight up vaporization, the collapsing space getting superheated hotter than the surface of the sun. It sounds like getting caught in the middle of a nuclear blast.

Apparently the kid didn’t want to be on there, so him, I feel sorry for. At least it was quicker than pain.

...and that about sums up where I am.

Powerless masses memeing are one thing, but the likelihood of mainstream media milking this story for all its worth with countdowns, air left% and the like, all while making money from clicks, views and ads...?

Powerless masses memeing are one thing, but the likelihood of mainstream media milking this story for all its worth with countdowns, air left% and the like, all while making money from clicks, views and ads...?

Yeah this is the real story, not people on the internet making crass jokes. Companies made money off of turning this into a rubberneck affair.

The media turning this into an ongoing thing if they knew the sub had almost certainly imploded is horrific, but I do have to appreciate the irony of billionaires being exploited for the financial gain of others.

Please avoid using inflamatory name to call out other users in order to make a point. -Josh5890, xghost777, VolcanicDynamo

And we have a dumbass on this very thread saying 'the media has no power'

lol, lmao

Been following this disturbing story for a few days now and I was honestly relieved when they confirmed the submersible imploded, it's a much better fate than being trapped in a small cubicle in complete darkness with four other people waiting days and nights until your death by asfixiation. The implosion was likely sudden and they never even realized they were going to die.

Still a shame 5 lives including a kid were lost to greed and negligence, but rich people gonna rich people.

Given that the story has reached its conclusion, we have decided to close this thread at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom