• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade and Binding Blade (Japan only) are coming to NSO-GBA on June 22nd

FE 6 is fine, it's a fairly enjoyable game with some wonk ass balance issues, but it's easy to recommend. I don't even think Roy sucking for 80% of the game is that big an issues because lords generally suck for most of the campaign in a FE game. He's not even the worst lord in the GBA trilogy, that's Lyn by a country mile.
I feel all the FE's that came out in the west actually had good lords?

Yeah, most if not all of the Lords in the localized entries are at minimum good. Lyn has the advantages and disadvantages of any unit based on the Myrmidon template but every single Lord that came after Roy is far and away more useful than he is.

Probably because they look like children and Lyn doesn't

Outside Japan Lyn is of age and her design and temperament fits better with that anyway, so w/e man, let people have their waifu

In a series with 1000 year old dragon girl lolis, crushing on Lyn is pretty benign

Me and Sakurai just gonna be over here crushing on Navarre
Hey hey. Tiki wasn’t awake those thousand years she was in Stasis. It’s why she appears older the next time she actually shows up too.

I feel all the FE's that came out in the west actually had good lords?
Maybe if you've only played on normal difficulty where even Shining Force Jogurt would be viable (spoilers he has a 1 in every stat). In general most lords are sword locked, foot locked, and unable to promote for the majority of the game. This is all problematic as outside of the early portions of the game, the majority of enemies you face will use lances (which swords lose to), and your lords will frequently fall behind more versatile units like cavaliers with their multiple weapon types and superior movement stat. Lyn, Eliwood, Eirika, FE9 Ike, and FE11 Marth all fall into this trap and are mediocre for most of their games. Replace swords with light magic and you get basically the same problem but for Micaiah in FE10, though she at least can fall back as a staff bot in part 3. The only lords I'd really saw are good from this era were Hector, Ephraim, and FE10 Ike.

You'll notice I've not mentioned anyone from Awakening and beyond, and that's because the 3rd phase of FE which started with Awakening is when lords and MU characters got super charged and became some of the best characters in their games. Most of my commentary about lords comes from the pre Awakening era. What most pre awakening lords had was end games where they got OP weapons and/or were mandatory to defeat the final boss. Roy, Eirika, FE9 Ike, and any Marth turns into a completely different character when they get their signature weapon. That doesn't make them good for 80% of the game, it just means they give a good last impression.

FE 6 is fine, it's a fairly enjoyable game with some wonk ass balance issues, but it's easy to recommend. I don't even think Roy sucking for 80% of the game is that big an issues because lords generally suck for most of the campaign in a FE game. He's not even the worst lord in the GBA trilogy, that's Lyn by a country mile.
I think most people play FE on Normal, and only once, so in that sense Lyndis is a lot better than Elliwood just because she can, like... promote

And the Mani Katti is pretty good if I recall, though it's been a long time

Last edited:
Anyone looking to play Gaiden would probably be served just as well with Shadows of Valentia. The gameplay has its modern tweaks but overall it is extremely loyal to Gaiden battle mechanics. And the maps, for better or worse, are mostly the same as they were in Gaiden.

Honestly Gaiden is one game where I think it's remake makes the original pretty much obsolete. The Archanean titles have little quirks that make each one worth revisiting, but Echoes really is more like Gaiden+.

I'm jealous of the people that will play this for the first time!
I started with Path of Radiance, but then fell in love equally with the GBA games

So I played a couple of hours, still in the tutorial. My only experience with the series was Three Houses, which I loved. I'm liking this one very much so far! The sprite work and animations are top-notch. GBA games look sooooo good

Back
Top Bottom