• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Hardware Finally Zeebo emulation starts to get somewhere - Infuse BREW Emulator

CyberWolfBia

I talk more about games than I play them
Pronouns
She/Her
Yes, I'm doing another Zeebo thread, since I believe I have earned the badge of the one (or very few) of this forum that does indeed own a Zeebo!

photo-5071326534068972408-y.jpg

Quick catch up on what on earth is even a Zeebo, it's a digital-only console (first of its kind) made by TecToy in 2009 released on Brazil (its native country) and Mexico. Aiming to offer affordable and legal games for the tax heavy and low income countries where the big boy consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3) couldn't. It ended being a monumental failure in all fronts, especially due the hardware being so uncapable of doing anything that could impress and being a gigantic headache to develop for.. with the biggest issue being BREW, a popular mobile OS/Chipset provided by Qualcomm back in the day.

The Zeebo had a very short lifespan, with its storefront being up from 2009 to 2011; And being a digital only console, with its own currency (ala WiiPoints), made it a very hard system to preserve.

Thankfuly, the tech behind the console is not very much secure, and eventually Zeebo became open-wide to hack; getting a fullset of games (57 only) is a reality, since they were all dumped as soon it was possible; Though the fact it needs some hardware mods, the components being so fragile/cheap and the scarcity of replacement parts, made the hacking proccess harder than it needs to be.. with currently only two reliable experts in Brazil that provide the service for Zeebo owners, including adding a new internal eNAND memory (which is notorious to fail very early);

Despite of Zeebo being filled with mostly early BREW flip-phone games*, there are legitimately good and exclusive titles worth of discussing and played, including its very own Double Dragon game, great conversions of Quake 1 and 2 by TecToy themselves and all the 1st Party efforts they offered by the end of the console's life.

* personally speaking, even though they are mobile games, the fact they were altered to play on a console, even if the quality is questionable, they are already better on a fundamental level.. with actual buttons for starters!

Well, I said it was the short version, so I'll let you with the Stop Skeletons From Fighting (Derek and Grace) documentary on the system; and they are now playing and reviewing every single game on the channel right now; I greatly recommend their content!

The Zeebo was always a very obscure system, with very low interest of the emulation scene; There's the Brazilian niche that was always fidgeting around the topic, but beyond homebrew ports that popped up in the last few years, not much was developed to give access to Zeebo games other than playing on actual hardware; Heck, general BREW emulation on itself was always very rudimentary.

Now, we are getting somewhere! Infuse, it's new BREW emulator by Tuxality that is already booting up Zeebo games! A video below shows Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D (with my beloved spatula hands Crash šŸ’•);

As you can see, it's still very early and glitchy, and the emulator has ways to go until it gets ironed out to a public release; but it's a giant step on the accessibility of those games;

Only now the Zeebo is a topic that is being discussed by the world at large with an enthusiasm beyond the bubble that saw the thing more than just a collector's item (that goes for absurd prices on eBay for foreigners), and ripping assets is already much easier now, for example;

Hopefully we can return to this thread to report more development on the matter soon, but for now, I needed to share the news and get more people aware that the Zeebo is close to be finally enjoyed by more people! šŸ¾

The full details on the emulator you can see on this video (and its description)

This is awesome! But hell, whatever gets me closer to FINALLY playing that Zeebo Double Dragon game for myself. Please! It's been a long time desire of mine~!

I've been genuinely interested on the Zeebo for a long while, first from a curiosity standpoint, and then in playing part of its library thanks to SSFF

That Double Dragon game looks dope, and apparently the Quake and Quake II ports were the best ports to date? I want to play that.

Ah, the excitement of Double Dragon Zeebo is truly intoxicating! I haven't sent my Zeebo yet to TripleOxygen to mod (I only have access to the 3 pre-installed launch games; FIFA 09, Need for Speed Carbon: Own the City and Brain Challenge), but you can bet that game is one of the first things I'm trying out;

Not before, obviously.. Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D; because of course I bought the system because of something Crash Bandicoot related; Look at him!

(the game is actually good; the Zeebo port may be a bit butchered, but I take it over the Android/iOS versions, for being able to control with a real controller)

Also, again I hear great things about Quake and Quake II on the Zeebo, as well a solid port of Tekken 2.

it's still wild to me that they seriously thought they could get Sonic Adventure (and Crazy Taxi) working on this thing, considering the hardware.
Zeebo-game-list.png

unsurprisingly, those ports were never released.
(and yes, that's the OP of this thread getting mentioned in the post.)

it's still wild to me that they seriously thought they could get Sonic Adventure (and Crazy Taxi) working on this thing, considering the hardware.
Zeebo-game-list.png

unsurprisingly, those ports were never released.
(and yes, that's the OP of this thread getting mentioned in the post.)
Yep! I did a lot of digging on the subject a while ago because it bugged me a lot that many Zeebo listings on the internet never actually mentioned SEGA's planned games;

I went on Zeebo's official site on Wayback Machine and even managed to get it a screenshot, albeit the image above was broken;

E8g4FtdWYAY5QdK

- Virtua Tennis 3 would be another SEGA game alongside Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi;

As you may know, TecToy was the official SEGA distributor in Brazil; they partnered for years, from the original Master System run, up until the Dreamcast went under. They actually still got SEGA's license to this day to produce Plug 'n Plays here and use their branding for emulation boxes (aka 'fake consoles') like these
99ee6713fa6a9096b520981a3cca2c3d.jpg
9ad989e8b46073d29255d0bccfb17727.jpeg

Matter of fact, when they announced the Zeebo, they managed to get SEGA on board, but when they announced the games they had not quite finished on the specs yet with Qualcomm; -- Friend of mine Platy, managed to get me a bridge on one of TecToy's internal developer and (as it commonly known by now, since it was reported by many ex TecToy devs), they were all expecting at least PS2 levels of hardware horsepower.

Another dev, got to talk to Platy privetely and mentioned they had a Sonic Adventure prototype, but simply wasn't feasible to render the whole scenario while Sonic moved fast (and they mentioned N64 style fog). Worth to mention, that's was supposed to be Dreamcast version and not Adventure DX, which by that point, wasn't ported for other systems either (would come later on PS3 and 360 by 2010); Meaning if they managed to do that, the only two places where you could play the original release would've been the Dreamcast and the Zeebo šŸ’«

TecToy quickly removed all the mentions of any SEGA games on their site when the system eventually launched. But marketing material, instruction manuals and legal paper were still printed with Sonic plastered all over within Zeebo accessories;
D_NQ_NP_881185-MLB32260682835_092019-O.jpg

Lots more were uncovered of SEGA backpedaling of the Zeebo; Data East released a couple of games on Zeebo that used a Genesis emulator (called G-Mode), for instance; and even when SEGA realized that Dreamcast/PS2 level games were not possible, they didn't even provide the Genesis and Master System titles TecToy was so used to sell, not even mobile games of that time (common suggestion was Sonic Jump).

Well, despite all of this, SEGA and TecToy still keeps somekind of business relationship; Other than the whole SEGA promised games debacle, I find interesting that the first Street Fighter Alpha was also announced and never released; Though that one people already managed to get the unrelased ROM running through Homebrew, complete with a Brazilian Portuguese translation and taylor made Zeebo prompt menus

Sorry for the tangent, but what are the other opportunities to talk about Zeebo I have? ;P .. Lots of interesting development has been done in the last few years on the Homebrew community, including running OpenLara (the original Tomb Raider) and DOOM; --it's just that the Zeebo is so underground that barely anyone outside our bubble comments on it!

This is really cool! I should get around to watching the SSFF review videos at some point.

New update on the emulator
New update on Infuse! Already booting up Double Dragon, and Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D almost glitch free!

I don't know if I'll keep bumping the thread with new developments, but keep your eye on Tuxality's YT channel for updates; they also opened a Patreon to support the project

EDIT: Tuxality is also on Twitter;

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom