• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

RTTP Final Fantasy VIII |RTTP| A Jewel of Imagery

(Returned to the party)

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
It’s too formative, too nostalgic; there’s no way that I could adequately describe my feelings on Final Fantasy VIII in words. Even the “RTTP” designation feels lacking. It’s really more like ∞TTP. Even when I’m not playing FFVIII, I’m playing it…up here.

Oh, sorry. You can’t see me. I’m pointing to my brain!

In lieu of a big long essay about how important this game is to me, here is a collection of GIFs I made. I tried to capture moments big and small, to hone in on the stuff that best shows why FFVIII is the enduring sojourn I’ve come back to for…almost 25 years now? God I’m old.

Whether you’re familiar with the game or not, I hope some of its inventive world shines through! Cue some music, choose a disc and dig in. Share some FFVIII memories, if you’ve got ‘em.

yxvvELx.png

SOUNDTRACK

DISC ONE
UdNakez.gif

SVMZXy0.gif

wfQMMee.gif

Xpk4Yhs.gif

4b4dL6F.gif

5PS5wC4.gif

RfMYDvx.gif

DISC TWO
VirkVa2.gif

QVDCovi.gif

awOSlA4.gif

1dDfSuY.gif

xqddGE2.gif

AkWrXDz.gif

pEnIola.gif

DISC THREE
cTJW6Wt.gif

XwhiptZ.gif

Lql6XPt.gif

XIgkMrF.gif

sIBVsxg.gif

RtjkYx7.gif

wPe5DZ1.gif

DISC FOUR
eIkgncN.gif

MJGrKy0.gif

zXyXn4g.gif

KyMfJwr.gif

I played FFVIII on the original PlayStation. After hundreds of hours playing FFVII, I was really hyped for this game and it did not disappoint. Amazing intro movie, great graphics and I even liked the junction system that so many people hate. My mind was blown the first time I saw a summon in this game, it was even better than FFVII.

Also: Triple Triad. I got so addicted to this card game that even today, several years since I've played FFVIII, I can hear that music in my mind.

This is one of those Final Fantasies I’ve always been very curious about that I haven’t played since people seem so divided on it. Maybe I’ll bump it on on my FF backlog this year.

Whenever I think of FFVIII, I always remember how my copy's fourth disc ended up with what looked like pen scribbles on it at one point. My sister must have done it when she was mad at me but she never admitted it.

Always did love this game though, it's got such a unique vibe. I should replay it sometime soon.

love the thread! and as someone who’s just gotten into the series in the last ~4 years I always love hearing about how much of a lasting impact different Final Fantasys have for different people.

I’m currently playing through this for the first time with my partner and we’re still in disc one (currently trudging through the sewers in the middle of the most mismanaged assassination attempt of all time) so I can’t click through most of the gifs yet!!
but I’m loving the game a lot—an incredible world, best-in-class pre-rendered backgrounds (this is like 70% of the appeal of these PS1 RPGs for me lol), a killer soundtrack, some genuinely intriguing mystery in the plot, and I even kind of love the junctioning system now that I’m mostly wrapping my head around it.
the characters are pretty great too, though I’m beginning to worry we’re not gonna get a Weird Creature in the party (a la Cait Sith, Red XIII, Quina, Mog, et al) which may be what keeps this from being my fav FF yet—otherwise, the pieces are pretty much all there

we’re playing the regular PS1 version (via MiSTer) though the remaster sure looks nice in those gifs!! but I don’t think I’d wanna give up the beautifully low-res pseudo-realistic character models

This is one of those Final Fantasies I’ve always been very curious about that I haven’t played since people seem so divided on it. Maybe I’ll bump it on on my FF backlog this year.
It's easy to break the games balance (if you know what to do), the plot seems confused (time shenanigans bring this) and people don't like the idea of combining magic with static (magic is a consumable), but if you're not bound to the "can't use that" mentality it's fine.

Love the presentation, triple triad, music, battles are fun (but not balanced, as mentioned), and also the story.

It's a weird mess, but in a good way. I recommend. (Except if you're a "serious" RPG/ff player that plays optimally... Something I don't get, ff 6-9 is broken and you're moving from one cheese strategy to the next, but that was part of the fun)

Ah Final Fantasy VIII, my least favourite entry of the original PlayStation trio.

Sorry Big Lantern Ghost, I’ll add some grievances and things I do like about VIII. Some in spoiler tags, others out in the open.

Things I dislike about VIII

- The cast is not my favourite. I mean, Squaresoft back in the day thought they struck gold with the cool loner type pretty boy with Squall after Cloud. I’m mostly luke warm on him. Ofcourse there is the big reason why, but it struck me as… eh.

Zell is the annoying little brother with a heart of gold, Selphie the enthousiastic type, Quistis the big sis and Irvine, well, you know, he is just there. Rinoa is likeable, but other FF leading ladies leave a more lasting impression.

- The junction system? Junk. In theory it’s a cool system, however in practice it’s just finding the right enemies and use the draw mechanic to get the magic spells to boost your stats. To not acquire magic for permanent use kind of blows.

- The story is the most baffling part I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, VIII isn’t the only FF with a so-so story. I’m being generous here btw.

When the time comes to reveal that everyone of the main cast was at the orphanage with Matron/Edea (outside of Rinoa) it was “okay sure, vidyagaemes”. But the explanation that everyone forgot about these details was the use of Guardian Forces made laugh a bit too hard.

After that things spiral out of control and it gets sillier and sillier with Rinoa becoming a vessel, Squall being a lonely sad boy, everybody knowing everybody and the whole TIME COMPRESSION, SON! explanation made me sour on the game for a bit.

Things I like about VIII

- The intro and Liberi Fatali is one hell of a way to introduce the game. One of the coolest opening movies in videogames

- The soundtrack is still fantastic. Force your way is a cool battle theme.

- Best thing about the cast, is the side cast of Laguna, Kiros and Ward. Three outcasts, but absolutely hilarious. Especially Laguna is a well meaning manchild who is endearing. Plus they have a banging battle music track with Man with the machine gun.

- Tripple Triad is the best minigame in FF history. Hands down.

VIII is one of the ones I haven’t played. But those GIFs you posted… those are incredible graphics. That must have been mind-blowing.

Ah Final Fantasy VIII, my least favourite entry of the original PlayStation trio.

Sorry Big Lantern Ghost, I’ll add some grievances and things I do like about VIII. Some in spoiler tags, others out in the open.

Things I dislike about VIII

- The cast is not my favourite. I mean, Squaresoft back in the day thought they struck gold with the cool loner type pretty boy with Squall after Cloud. I’m mostly luke warm on him. Ofcourse there is the big reason why, but it struck me as… eh.

Zell is the annoying little brother with a heart of gold, Selphie the enthousiastic type, Quistis the big sis and Irvine, well, you know, he is just there. Rinoa is likeable, but other FF leading ladies leave a more lasting impression.

- The junction system? Junk. In theory it’s a cool system, however in practice it’s just finding the right enemies and use the draw mechanic to get the magic spells to boost your stats. To not acquire magic for permanent use kind of blows.

- The story is the most baffling part I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, VIII isn’t the only FF with a so-so story. I’m being generous here btw.

When the time comes to reveal that everyone of the main cast was at the orphanage with Matron/Edea (outside of Rinoa) it was “okay sure, vidyagaemes”. But the explanation that everyone forgot about these details was the use of Guardian Forces made laugh a bit too hard.

After that things spiral out of control and it gets sillier and sillier with Rinoa becoming a vessel, Squall being a lonely sad boy, everybody knowing everybody and the whole TIME COMPRESSION, SON! explanation made me sour on the game for a bit.

Things I like about VIII

- The intro and Liberi Fatali is one hell of a way to introduce the game. One of the coolest opening movies in videogames

- The soundtrack is still fantastic. Force your way is a cool battle theme.

- Best thing about the cast, is the side cast of Laguna, Kiros and Ward. Three outcasts, but absolutely hilarious. Especially Laguna is a well meaning manchild who is endearing. Plus they have a banging battle music track with Man with the machine gun.

- Tripple Triad is the best minigame in FF history. Hands down.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with your likes and dislikes. I managed to complete the game back in the day, but it was a chore. I do enjoy the music though. "Blue Fields" and "The Man with the Machine Gun" are tops.

Maybe I’ll bump it on on my FF backlog this year.
If this thread has even a 1% effect on someone carving out some time for FFVIII, I will be very happy!

Always did love this game though, it's got such a unique vibe. I should replay it sometime soon.
Yes! It’s always the right time to play FFVIII.

we’re playing the regular PS1 version (via MiSTer) though the remaster sure looks nice in those gifs!! but I don’t think I’d wanna give up the beautifully low-res pseudo-realistic character models
If I had this as an available option, I’d be right there with you! But I grow to like the Remastered models a little more each time I play it. I want to say they got a modeller from the original project to update them.

ff 6-9 is broken and you're moving from one cheese strategy to the next, but that was part of the fun
This person gets it!!

Sorry Big Lantern Ghost
Oh, there’s no need 😂 I have made peace with the fact that I have zero objectivity when it comes to this game. I will say that refining spells from items or cards is where it’s at, though! Sitting there and drawing spells for minutes on end is the pits (though at least made a lot more convenient in Remastered)

FFVIII has the most accurate teenagers in video game history.
😭

I first got into FINAL FANTASY VIII when I played its HD version on my Nintendo Switch. I remember getting all the way to when Laguna is in a farm like place. I stopped playing it because it was starting to feel repetitive. I would have liked to finish it, and months later decided to replay it, but I was grinding that thing about getting specific monster cards and Junction them into Tornado very early in the game so that Squall can have a very big ATK stat. Days later I dropped the game, so I don't see myself doing that grind again :<

I have a big soft spot for FF8, despite how messy and weird it is. It shoots for the moon (heh) and sometimes misses, but that's part of the fun! Plus Triple Triad rules so much.

I also identified with Squall in a lot of ways in high school, and as sappy as the Squall x Rinoa romance is I ate it up and it was one of my early favorite videogame romances.

I first got into FINAL FANTASY VIII when I played its HD version on my Nintendo Switch. I remember getting all the way to when Laguna is in a farm like place. I stopped playing it because it was starting to feel repetitive. I would have liked to finish it, and months later decided to replay it, but I was grinding that thing about getting specific monster cards and Junction them into Tornado very early in the game so that Squall can have a very big ATK stat. Days later I dropped the game, so I don't see myself doing that grind again :<
Why the hell would you grind in. fF,8?

I've been meaning to play FFVIII after beating FFVII a few years ago, but I've been a bit daunted by how some people described junctioning and that apparently you're not supposed to fight too many random battles or something like that.

However I have been enjoying the music in Theatrhythm so maybe it's time to give the game a go.

the draw system is just another form of grinding or god forbid, playing the goddam card game to convert the cards.
Oh that's what you need.
There where 2 or 3 boss battles that I did it for 10 min (prolong the fight)
But it's really not needed. Enough draw points overall, and the games not that hard.

If you wanna always be maxed out, sure.
But that's like training to level 99 just because you can early.

That's prob one of THE Flaws, that it enables people to play that way.

Game freaking rules. Just another one of those killer Squaresoft 90’s classics. Love everything about it. The Junction system is super fun, as you feel like the smartest person on earth when you exploit it into oblivion. I think Rinoa is a fantastic character that stands toe to toe with Dagger and Aerith in the Final Fantasy best girl circle.

As with many other FF ports, the fast-forward button is a gift, as I never got very far in the OG version back in the day, due to the game’s over-reliance on summons, whose animation moves becomes really repetitive.

I've been meaning to play FFVIII after beating FFVII a few years ago, but I've been a bit daunted by how some people described junctioning and that apparently you're not supposed to fight too many random battles or something like that.

However I have been enjoying the music in Theatrhythm so maybe it's time to give the game a go.

I definitely recommend it if you can put up with some grinding with the draw system and don’t mind Squall as a protagonist. (his demeanour can be a dealbreaker for many, I’ve heard)

Great story and characters but also worth it for the music alone. It’s Uematsu at the top of his game, if you ask me.

Just for fun 😬 My first play through was a regular one, so I decided to make this second one “interesting” xD
In that case: 30 minutes on the beach and ifrits or quartscotles kard transform and you have enough aqua magic that 2/3ds of the mane no boss should be a challenge :p
And by then there a ton of other cheese strategies to make it interesting.

Or less so. Something something

I should replay ff7-9.

As with many other FF ports, the fast-forward button is a gift, as I never got very far in the OG version back in the day, due to the game’s over-reliance on summons, whose animation moves becomes really repetitive.
It's been more than 20 years since I played FFVIII (100%, even Ultima Weapon), but I remember young me never getting tired of watching the summons. Even Knights of the Round in FFVII was a joy. 😂 But I agree with you, most of these summon animations are too long and can get repetitive.

It's impossible for me to not love this game

Also, people haven't obsessed enough about Edea in this thread imo

That look. That theme music. What a timeless icon

062c920b26a2505669c4d38ce4f2296c99242788.gifv

31beab75197283c6220644e59b5170357fe07ff8.gifv
41a2ca4a4a7a345de4e175224f272b1ff3021e67.gifv
I love the Sorceress leitmotif. Especially the scene where she’s introduced and that exact track plays - up to then the game was pretty much all modern and sci-fi (other than I guess Ifrit’s cave…) but then suddenly you get this witch showing up and her theme is this creepy harpsichord. It’s such good contrast to most of the rest of the game’s atmosphere.

That’s probably my favorite part of FF8 - how it plays with the contrast between sci-fi/tech and magic. The fact that you get to disc 3 and it’s got an ultra-futuristic city and literal spaceships but then the final dungeon is a castle and you’re going to kill a witch is just so good.

Those Disc 2 gifs alone are tempting me to play it beyond my usual stopping point (the radio tower ... embarrassing, I know ...).
It's not embarrassing! It's a weird game that really doesn't do a great job at explaining itself. I hope you report back if you do give it another go, I would love to hear how it goes. And if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

people haven't obsessed enough about Edea in this thread imo
Thank you for your Edea promo service 🫡 The hardest part of putting the OP together by far was choosing which GIFs to use. I had like 7 of the Deling City parade alone, and didn't end up using any of them! Love her character and design. That strange mask in your first GIF is so cool.

I’ve tried to play it twice, and bounced off both times. Which is not to say I won’t try a third time. I’m sure I will at some point.

The first time was back in the day. Not right when it came out, but not too long after.

My first impression was that I didn’t really understand what it was telling me about how its systems worked. But I still pushed on a little bit, but it just seemed incompatible with my brain.

Like, when I play a JRPG, my tendency is to grind a lot, even when the game isn’t forcing me to. I can’t help it, I just feel more comfortable when I’m prepared. I probably have undiagnosed compulsive and/or anxiety disorders, but either way, it is what it is.

A lot of my favorite JRPGs have guardrails in place to keep people like me from getting carried away with that approach.

I might have a goal like grinding until I can buy all the best weapons and armor at the shop in the new town. Once I do that, I can move on.

But even when it comes to just XP and leveling, you get diminishing returns if you hang out in the same area too long. The XP needed to get to the next level keeps increasing, so if you keep fighting the same enemies, you need to fight more and more battles to get to a new level. This is another way these games communicate to you that it’s time to pack it up and move along.

FF8 doesn’t really have that same kind of guardrail for a person like me. Or at least seemed not to, in my short time with it. With the draw system, I don’t know what would be an appropriate amount of cards to draw, so I’ll just sit there forever until I draw as many as it’ll let me. It doesn’t really do anything before that point to communicate to me that I should get on with things, and I go overboard, with my pathological need to feel prepared.

The next time I tried to come back, I didn’t really make it past reading those early tutorials, thinking “I still don’t really understand what it just said, even decades later”, and then just played something else instead. I didn’t give it a real chance that second time.

Thank you for your Edea promo service 🫡 The hardest part of putting the OP together by far was choosing which GIFs to use. I had like 7 of the Deling City parade alone, and didn't end up using any of them! Love her character and design. That strange mask in your first GIF is so cool.
really I admire your restraint, there's just so much cool shit in this game

Like how wild is it that Squall's highschool has literally Jurassic Park located inside of it? like it wasn't enough for it to be a surprise secret airship?

That's such a cool thing to just casually have in your game and yet doesn't even make the top twenty list for hype(!!!) moments in FFVIII

FFVIII is worth playing for the soundtrack alone! Simply amazing. "The Man with the Machine Gun" is one of those songs that will randomly play in my brain, haha.

This game took me almost 12 full years to complete. I am not exaggerating it. Needless to say, it has a place in my heart.

today is the 25th anniversary of FFVIII’s original launch in japan! thank you to Theatrhythm for letting me know when I booted it up this morning

still working through the game over here! disc 2 has been like 75% just running in circles around the garden and I suppose I have no choice but to respect that. we’re up to the “searching for the captain” nonsense in Balamb—I always love these little adventure game set pieces but I’m also looking forward to when the story starts advancing again lol

I've played it for the first time a couple of years ago and I could easily understand why it was epic when it released.

But I had to play the game with mods not only to enhance graphics, but also make the game endurable.

Mainly the random encounter rate was way too high. Almost impossible to move for 10 seconds without encountering an enemy.
Also used the voice acting mod which gave the cutscenes and characters a lot more depth.

Its strengths are an incredible setting (it's probably the most well realized FF world along with FFXII and VI), the vibes, soundtrack and story. I really like Squall and Rinoa's development as a couple, even if I'm not big on romance in games, and Squall is much less of a jerk than the internet memes would have made you believe, and actually one of the most human characters in the franchise.

Its weak points are, first and foremost the battle system, which is a broken mess (which would be okay if it was actually fun, but no, it's boring and designed to make you grind), and that most of the characters, although charismatic, have little to no impact in the story at all, which makes them forgettable.

I'd say it's a game you should experience once, but I personally have no desire to go back to it because of the battle system.

All these images and looking at the gorgeous backgrounds in particular makes me nostalgic for the PS1 era of RPG locations. Since most everything was prerendered backgrounds they were really able to go wild with how things looked and make things super unique. Even a game that's pretty uneven like Legend of Dragoon has some incredible backgrounds and in-game places to visit, especially later in the game.

Even though VII is my favorite I think VIII would benefit from a remake the most. The potential this game had was so much bigger and it's maddening how many ideas they had to cut. When I played it as a kid I always wondered for example why the instruction manual presented Squall and Laguna as if they were coprotagonists... turns out it's because they were intended to be coprotagonists (Laguna having his own world map and everything), but as development went on they had to make Laguna's sections smaller and smaller to the point that they are basically short anecdotes. In general I feel the very strong intrigue and mystique set up by the superb disc 1 doesn't get a proper payoff for the most part. Also the battle system needs a rebalance badly.

But yeah, I love this game, warts and all. One of the biggest reasons for my love for JRPGs.

Oh I also loved how this game isn't afraid of being a bit subtle with its plot even in important areas. For example the game never actually tells you that Laguna is Squall's father, or that Seifer got his dream from him, etc. This stuff seems trivial now as an adult but back in the day it blew my mind having to put the pieces together myself.

You know, of all the (3D) Final Fantasy games, 8 would be the one where a 7 Remake like project would actually make sense.

You know, of all the (3D) Final Fantasy games, 8 would be the one where a 7 Remake like project would actually make sense.
If that including the time travel, plot changing shenanigans, then I get what you're saying hahaha

But yes, I wonder how the FFVII Remake/Rebirth team would handle the gameplay for VIII

wow! this really just becomes something else entirely once you get to Esthar. we just made it to the Ragnarok and every single prerendered background and cutscene in the last ~two hours of the game has become my favorite thing ever, from the city's introduction at the end of the snow area to... everything else. so so so cool. kinda had a feeling we were headed to the moon at some point but did not anticipate any of this.

so glad this game's soundtrack has at least one piece in my favorite style of video game music in it (goofball plinky plonk/slide whistle sound effects paired up with genuinely emotive melodies):

gonna keep turning this into my own LTTP thread i suppose. gotta be nearing the end of disc 3 at this point. i'd typed up a bunch of thoughts about the junction system but realized i was probably not saying anything anyone hasn't heard before so i'll leave it at: if anyone has tips on where to go/what to refine in order to salvage a woefully underpowered party that's just gotten access to the real airship, i'd love to hear them.

so glad this game's soundtrack has at least one piece in my favorite style of video game music in it (goofball plinky plonk/slide whistle sound effects paired up with genuinely emotive melodies):

gonna keep turning this into my own LTTP thread i suppose. gotta be nearing the end of disc 3 at this point. i'd typed up a bunch of thoughts about the junction system but realized i was probably not saying anything anyone hasn't heard before so i'll leave it at: if anyone has tips on where to go/what to refine in order to salvage a woefully underpowered party that's just gotten access to the real airship, i'd love to hear them.

This is something I tragically missed in my first playthroughs, but on the beach right outside of Balamb Garden there are a bunch of Fastitocalon (killer goldfish) that you can draw Water from, which is a very good junction for Str.

Edit: Okay actually I skipped a step, it's been a while. You get fish fins from them as drops, which you then refine into water. (Shiva has this refinement ability)

Last edited:
Dang I am so late to reply @slide's but if you're still playing and building up your team, Quake is a great spell for strength that is fairly easy to stock up on! You can refine one of the Brothers' GF cards into 100 Dino Bones; each one refines to 20 Quake spells with Time Mag-RF, which Diablos can learn! Refining time magic in general gives a lot of great stat boosts and magic that is handy to cast. You can also kill or mug T-Rexaurs for Dino Bones.

Spring-boarding off of that, it's worth considering maxing Irvine's strength as much as possible and setting him up to use his limit break. It's very strong, and ammo for it is refined easily with Ammo-RF (an Ifrit ability). The AP ammo in particular is wildly strong!

Dang I am so late to reply @slide's but if you're still playing and building up your team, Quake is a great spell for strength that is fairly easy to stock up on! You can refine one of the Brothers' GF cards into 100 Dino Bones; each one refines to 20 Quake spells with Time Mag-RF, which Diablos can learn! Refining time magic in general gives a lot of great stat boosts and magic that is handy to cast. You can also kill or mug T-Rexaurs for Dino Bones.

Spring-boarding off of that, it's worth considering maxing Irvine's strength as much as possible and setting him up to use his limit break. It's very strong, and ammo for it is refined easily with Ammo-RF (an Ifrit ability). The AP ammo in particular is wildly strong!
I've bounced off VIII in the past because I don't really care for the world, characters or story but stuff like this does make me want to give it another chance just so I can shatter the game into pieces.

I've bounced off VIII in the past because I don't really care for the world, characters or story but stuff like this does make me want to give it another chance just so I can shatter the game into pieces.
I hope you get around to it some day! Cracking the junction system wide open is just so, so satisfying.

Busy working but my contribution to this thread for now is that FF VIII > FF IX. Bye.

This is something I tragically missed in my first playthroughs, but on the beach right outside of Balamb Garden there are a bunch of Fastitocalon (killer goldfish) that you can draw Water from, which is a very good junction for Str.

Edit: Okay actually I skipped a step, it's been a while. You get fish fins from them as drops, which you then refine into water. (Shiva has this refinement ability)
I was abusing the Refine command in my second play through of the game, lol. There’s a card you can Junction for Tornado and I got max amount and gave ‘em to Squall 🤪

You can practically break the game since even in the starting area

Back
Top Bottom