• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

Walked out of Killers of the Flower Moon speechless, then I started to cry uncontrollably. A tough film to watch, honestly, but also an important one. Everyone here is at the top of their game, including Scorsese. And not only every frame of the 3h25 felt justified, but it also went by rather quickly. Thelma Shoonmaker proving once again that she is the best editor of all time. A masterclass through and through. Please go see it in theaters if you can!

Walked out of Killers of the Flower Moon speechless, then I started to cry uncontrollably. A tough film to watch, honestly, but also an important one. Everyone here is at the top of their game, including Scorsese. And not only every frame of the 3h25 felt justified, but it also went by rather quickly. Thelma Shoonmaker proving once again that she is the best editor of all time. A masterclass through and through. Please go see it in theaters if you can!
I'm supposed to see a play tonight but there's part of me that kinda wants to bail and see this instead. Super looking forward to it. Thanks for the impressions!

Saw the Nightmare Before Christmas rerelease because the only Killers of the Flower Moon showing I could make was sold out. Forgot how short it was

I am by no means a horror guy but I've been trying to watch more recently ('tis the season, after all). Watched Scream last night and enjoyed it, the whole meta angle obviously isn't as novel nowadays but the mystery and twist was built up well and the third act had a lot of fun deaths.

Also watched Saw X tonight, I've only seen one other Saw movie but this was good. I'm definitely too squeamish for the gore but Jigsaw was a really compelling character here. Last trap was hella convoluted but I guess that's part of the fun lol

Gonna try to watch the Thing soon.

Currently at 21 spooky films for October - not particularly trying to hit 31 but it's been nice to revisit old favourites and watch classics in the genre I'd never seen before

I am by no means a horror guy but I've been trying to watch more recently ('tis the season, after all). Watched Scream last night and enjoyed it, the whole meta angle obviously isn't as novel nowadays but the mystery and twist was built up well and the third act had a lot of fun deaths.

Also watched Saw X tonight, I've only seen one other Saw movie but this was good. I'm definitely too squeamish for the gore but Jigsaw was a really compelling character here. Last trap was hella convoluted but I guess that's part of the fun lol

Gonna try to watch the Thing soon.
Ah, The Thing is truly a masterpiece - one of my favourite films ever made.

Was it just the original Saw film you've seen before Saw X? Haven't seen any after VI as it all got a bit too grizzly and silly but been hearing good things about the latest outing.

Speaking of Scream, I watched a proto-version of that last night in the shape of There's Nothing Out There which came out five years earlier. Definitely not as good, but it also plays out as a meta-take on the slasher genre with rules and an even more annoying horror film know-it-all.

Ah, The Thing is truly a masterpiece - one of my favourite films ever made.

Was it just the original Saw film you've seen before Saw X? Haven't seen any after VI as it all got a bit too grizzly and silly but been hearing good things about the latest outing.
It was 4, I think. I watched it like 15 years ago with my friend but don’t remember it too well. I was able to mostly follow along the story for X knowing the basics of the universe but a couple of things I had to look up after lol. I just saw this because the buzz around it was very good.

I need to see it again. For as much as I loved about it, I walked out thinking that it was just a little too long. Normally I love long films, and while this was a great film, it didn't feel like it needed the full ~200 minute run time.

Maybe a second viewing will change my mind.

Also, give DeNiro that Oscar!

Written by Diablo Cody

Directed by Zelda Fuckin Williams

Not typically my vibe but count me way in

I just saw the trailer too and was about to post it in GenDisc haha, but man I am so stoked for this. I'm sure Robin is absolutely beaming wherever he is

FNAF was ok. I kinda got bored during the middle but the beginning and end were solid. I

The animatronics being real was so cool though.

Saw the Dawn of the Dead rerelease since I didn't have the time for Killers of the Flower Moon and my god was it great. Incredible pacing, effects, and acting... and two old doofuses wouldn't stop talking during it...

The Boy and the Heron isn't Miyazaki's best film but it is Miyazaki as its most abstract, existential and personal. And it's an absolute masterclass in animation (obviously). There is a bit of "Hayao Miyazaki's Xenoblade Chronicles" in the ending, which I quite liked, although in can be pretty tough emotionally to witness someone struggling with the idea of his death and legacy in an increasingly uncertain world. Partly because Miyazaki still doesn't seem really optimistic and serene, which isn't all that common at his age. And partly, too, because I'm not ready to live in a world without him.

The Boy and the Heron isn't Miyazaki's best film but it is Miyazaki as its most abstract, existential and personal. And it's an absolute masterclass in animation (obviously). There is a bit of "Hayao Miyazaki's Xenoblade Chronicles" in the ending, which I quite liked, although in can be pretty tough emotionally to witness someone struggling with the idea of his death and legacy in an increasingly uncertain world. Partly because Miyazaki still doesn't seem really optimistic and serene, which isn't all that common at his age. And partly, too, because I'm not ready to live in a world without him.
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to it. Especially now that my little podunk neck of the woods is starting to get some anime films in theaters, hopefully I'll be able to see this on the big screen!!

Watched Return of the Living Dead for Halloween as I do most years. Still probably one of my favourite horror movies, it's just so much fun whilst being quite scary at the same time. It was the 4K HDR version of the film and it looked great as well, so many details that I'd never noticed before. Have to say, 80's horror in general was when the genre was at it's best, films just don't compare nowadays.

We all feel his pain.

Went to go see Killers of the Flower Moon. It was excellent. Super impressed that Scorsese is still making films as great as this.

Sadly got to the movie a little late so I missed the Nicole Kidman AMC commercial.
I don't have an AMC theater near me but luckily KotFM had a similar "thank you for coming to the movies" thing with Marty at the beginning so I still had something to stand and salute

I don't have an AMC theater near me but luckily KotFM had a similar "thank you for coming to the movies" thing with Marty at the beginning so I still had something to stand and salute
Nice! I was late for that too I guess. Well, you're welcome Nicole and Marty. I'll try to be on time next time. Possibly for Thanksgiving. Can't be late for Thanksgiving.

Watched Five Nights at Freddy's which was terrible. Who were they making that movie for? It also just wasted its runtime. Could have easily been twenty minutes shorter with all that was accomplished. Such a nonsense movie.

Also watched Haunting in Venice which I liked quite a bit. Best of the Branagh Poirot movies so far. Just a good classic whodunit with a great setting and atmosphere.

Watched Five Nights at Freddy's which was terrible. Who were they making that movie for? It also just wasted its runtime. Could have easily been twenty minutes shorter with all that was accomplished. Such a nonsense movie.

Also watched Haunting in Venice which I liked quite a bit. Best of the Branagh Poirot movies so far. Just a good classic whodunit with a great setting and atmosphere.
as far as I can tell they made it for all the youtuber cameos that were in it

although I was kinda happy to see MatPat was in it and that he got to Say The Thing

and was a bit sad when I heard Markiplier was meant to be in it but had to drop out because of scheduling

I watched The Thing for the first time on Halloween.

Can't believe how gross and cool the effects are. Has at least one masterful jump scare. Very fun movie.

Can't believe how gross and cool the effects are. Has at least one masterful jump scare. Very fun movie.
John Carpenter's The Thing is a masterpiece. One of my favorite films of all time. I wish more movies were made like this. Try not to watch any "theories" videos about it, spoils the fun of rewatches. The commentary track with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell is great though.

John Carpenter's The Thing is a masterpiece. One of my favorite films of all time. I wish more movies were made like this. Try not to watch any "theories" videos about it, spoils the fun of rewatches. The commentary track with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell is great though.
The only thing I don't like is how the title gives away the true identity of The Thing.

Seriously, I will have to watch it again sometime. It has such a unique vibe. I feel like Aliens borrowed a lot from it just a few years later.

I recognize this will probably not be high art by any stretch, but literally any visibility or recognition for the stunts industry is gonna get a big coolguy thumbs-up from me:

(plus Emily Blunt doesn't typically pick projects that are too bad right?)

Glad you enjoyed it. It's honestly my #1 favorite movie of all time. A horror masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. Rewatching it still gives me unsettling vibes, because the thought of there being an alien just like that somewhere out there in the universe is terrifying. Kurt Russell is great as MacReady, the gore effects feel viscerally repulsive and real, and the tone of dread and paranoia is a thick constant from start to finish.

...And speaking of The Thing and Kurt Russell, I'm coincidentally rewatching The Hateful Eight at the moment, and I find it really neat how some of these Morricone tracks are ones he originally composed for The Thing, but went unused, like this one:

Possibly my favorite moment of the film is when
everyone suspects MacReady as the thing and he breaks back in threatening to blow everyone up with the dynamite he is clutching in his hand with a lit flare in the other. Really great moment and a hell of an act break.

That or anytime the actors, in character, are having to extinguish the real on set fires.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's honestly my #1 favorite movie of all time. A horror masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. Rewatching it still gives me unsettling vibes, because the thought of there being an alien just like that somewhere out there in the universe is terrifying. Kurt Russell is great as MacReady, the gore effects feel viscerally repulsive and real, and the tone of dread and paranoia is a thick constant from start to finish.

...And speaking of The Thing and Kurt Russell, I'm coincidentally rewatching The Hateful Eight at the moment, and I find it really neat how some of these Morricone tracks are ones he originally composed for The Thing, but went unused, like this one:

I love that the score is so iconic even though (maybe because?) it's Morricone, a legend in his own right, basically just doing Carpenter.

Saw the Dawn of the Dead rerelease since I didn't have the time for Killers of the Flower Moon and my god was it great. Incredible pacing, effects, and acting... and two old doofuses wouldn't stop talking during it...
I just came out of a showing here, really enjoyed it as well. Though unfortunately the sound in my theater was poorly optimized.

That shot of Stephen emerging from the elevator as a zombie will stick with me for a while.

Watched Eraserhead for the first time.

What the fuck?
You know it was essentially a self-funded student film? And apparently a metaphor for the pain of adjusting to becoming a parent. Can’t say I love it but it’s an interesting movie. Crazy that it ever reached a big audience, but thankfully it did.

...And speaking of The Thing and Kurt Russell, I'm coincidentally rewatching The Hateful Eight at the moment
What are the feelings on Hateful Eight here? Personally it just didn’t have the story or the dialogue, it bored me to death.

Love the Matt Reeves Apes movies (and even the first one to a slightly lesser extent) so cautiously excited for this but obviously wary it could be bad...

Looks promising! The writers of the first two 'reboot' movies were involved with the script, so I would expect it to remain tonally on point. I haven't seen any of the Maze Runner movies, but the impression I've gotten from other people is that Wes Ball is a solid director with a gift for VFX sequences, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

What are the feelings on Hateful Eight here? Personally it just didn’t have the story or the dialogue, it bored me to death.
I thought it was okay. I would put it above Django and Once Upon... but below his classics, I'd say

Just watched A Haunting In Venice. Had been planning to watch it on Halloween, but that didn't exactly work out. Had a good time. Might be my favorite of this take on Hercule Poirot.

Love the Matt Reeves Apes movies (and even the first one to a slightly lesser extent) so cautiously excited for this but obviously wary it could be bad...

My primary concern is if it will rehash a bunch of plot points from the trilogy (which to be fair would be inline with the trilogy rehashing plot points from the old Apes movies), but it is nice to see the first glimpse of a real ape society. I am glad though that the writers from the first two movies are back, because while I loved the direction and soundtrack for War, the script left me feeling a little lukewarm compared to the first two. So cautious optimism seems about right.

Dawn is one of the best blockbusters of the 2010s, and I believe that's in no small part to both the writers and Matt Reeves working together.

Just watched A Haunting In Venice. Had been planning to watch it on Halloween, but that didn't exactly work out. Had a good time. Might be my favorite of this take on Hercule Poirot.
Friend of mine saw it and hated it so was a bit wary, but it just showed up on Disney+ so will give it a look soon

Friend of mine saw it and hated it so was a bit wary, but it just showed up on Disney+ so will give it a look soon
It does make a lot of changes from the book (at least from what I can remember; I haven't read it in ages), so I can see how that wouldn't work for some folks.

I liked the creepy/supernatural vibe it had, but your mileage may vary.

It does make a lot of changes from the book (at least from what I can remember; I haven't read it in ages), so I can see how that wouldn't work for some folks.

I liked the creepy/supernatural vibe it had, but your mileage may vary.
yeah i think they went in wanting Poirot and got "horror" (in their words) haha

yeah i think they went in wanting Poirot and got "horror" (in their words) haha
Ooh yeah that makes a lot of sense. For whatever it's worth, I was worried there'd be too much horror genre stuff but it didn't seem all that overpowering, although that's up to personal tolerance.

The 'worst' scene for that is probably the (spoilering just to be safe, although this scene was shown in the trailers)
seance scene before the first murder
but after that the scares are shorter.

Kinda glad they've seemingly made it a bit less oppressive bleak compared to War.

Back
Top Bottom