• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Film Fave non-superhero showcases for HDR?

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
Hey all. Just picked up a TV with (I’m told) pretty good HDR! This is my first experience with it and I wanted to make a list of some films that are a great showcase. So far I’ve got John Wick 3 and Blade Runner 2049.

What films blew you away in HDR?

Ghost in the Shell (1995) is a stunning use of HDR in animation. The way the film was lit really lends itself to the format.

The original Blade Runner is a must. Probably the most impressive movie on the format for me.

I was impressed by the Wizard of Oz, especially for a film of it's age.

Alien was really cool, especially with how dark that movie can get.

The Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro is another animated movie that really gains from the format, colors really pop.

I was going to say Blade Runner 2049, but you already have it. That movie looks so good in Dolby Vision.

Annihilation (2018) also looked real pretty on my TV.

I think wildlife docs are really good for showing off stuff like HDR. There’s an Attenborough series on Netflix called Our Planet which I watched in DV and it blew me away.

If you're looking for films, can't go wrong with; Labyrinth, Blade Runner, The Mummy (Returns) and 2001 A Space Odyssey. These are probably some of the best looking 4k films with an amazing HDR grade, Dolby Vision or not. It technically is a superhero film, but The Lego Batman Movie looks absolutely brilliant as well.

And if you just want a general showcase, the BBC and Netflix both have some wild life docs which are eye meltingly gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom