• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu Week 51 (Dec. 13-19) sales

We're never getting another non-Persona game from Atlus ever again. See you in my dreams Etrian Odyssey.
Nah, Atlus are the masters of asset reuse. They'll get more out of SMT V, if they don't do a Director's Cut then we'll definitely get an IV Apocalypse style sequel.

But yeah I'm not expecting Etrian Odyssey soon, a lot of the usual EO staff even worked on SMT V.

Nah, Atlus are the masters of asset reuse. They'll get more out of SMT V, if they don't do a Director's Cut then we'll definitely get an IV Apocalypse style sequel.

Honestly that would be the best case scenario, Apoc is my favorite in the series. V is a terrific game, but it has a few issues that would really benefit from an iterative sequel.

The one I've been seeing more frequently is that third party games don't sell well because the sales difference for multiplatform isn't directly proportional to the difference in user base between Switch & PS4/PS5.
This is true, it's just a lot of people disingenuously oversimplify this to "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" which is just flat out wrong. On Switch third parties have to compete with Nintendo's megaton first party franchises which are stronger than Playstation or Xbox's in terms of making up a larger share of the top selling games.

That said, third parties can still sell well on Switch and in fact many do; we're approaching the end of the system's 5th year now, if third parties weren't finding success on Switch, support would have vanished years ago.

This is true, it's just a lot of people disingenuously oversimplify this to "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" which is just flat out wrong. On Switch third parties have to compete with Nintendo's megaton first party franchises which are stronger than Playstation or Xbox's in terms of making up a larger share of the top selling games.

That said, third parties can still sell well on Switch and in fact many do; we're approaching the end of the system's 5th year now, if third parties weren't finding success on Switch, support would have vanished years ago.

It's true but it's also meaningless.

If a game sells 100k on Switch and 90k on PS5 it doesn't matter that the Switch user base is 20x bigger, the sales were still better on Switch. Publishers care about raw numbers more than attachment rates.

the userbase arguement just opens up the can of "maybe your game wasn't that appealing in the first place" because of "super large install base" and "sells like a dead platform"

It's true but it's also meaningless.

If a game sells 100k on Switch and 90k on PS5 it doesn't matter that the Switch user base is 20x bigger, the sales were still better on Switch. Publishers care about raw numbers more than attachment rates.
Yup.
It's like comparing FF sales figures to Octopath, there's so many factors involved in why one sells more than the other beyond the platforms they're on and those platforms' 1st-party lineup.
Frankly, bringing up user base and first-party sales in the context of Nintendo platforms for comparison against 3rd-party titles often sounds like people begrudging Nintendo for having wildly successful software (and trying to suggest 3rd-party publishers share that begrudging state of mind) instead of asking what the reasons could be that 3rd-party software often isn't reaching the same echelons on ANY single platform or sometimes multiple platforms or asking if 3rd-parties even care about that distinction.

The level of domination Switch has over the Japan is something practically unseen since the days of the NES, if even then.

Sony just don't make the kind of games that can compete with Nintendo's in terms of appealing to Japanese tastes. They've gone all in with the M-rated cinematic AAA paradigm and that's just not a winning formula in the land of the rising sun.

SMTV is gone :(

I hope they have reasonable expectations for the franchise at least.

I’m playing it and loving it, but it’s as clear as day that this game isn’t going to have mass appeal. For hours it demands quite a bit of the player without much story in return, and it repeats that several times over. You just have to enjoy being in Da’at and engaging it tough as nails fights.

DQ10 delayed

Bummer. Their Q4 FY 2021 is pretty packed though. CHAOS and Triangle Strategy should both do well I think

Bummer. Their Q4 FY 2021 is pretty packed though. CHAOS and Triangle Strategy should both do well I think
Chaos is probably just going to be a meme game. I hope Triangle Strategy is well received though.

Tsutaya is currently tracking PS4 version of Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires as being slightly ahead of Switch version. Going to be interesting to see what the split on that looks like.

Tsutaya is currently tracking PS4 version of Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires as being slightly ahead of Switch version. Going to be interesting to see what the split on that looks like.
Considering what I've seen and heard about the Switch version I'm not surprised. I doubt the Switch version will pull ahead if it starts out behind this time.

No cap, DW9E looks worse than the PS2 Da Nasty Warriors. Some of those were 60fps even! There's a reason KT is ditching that engine

I doubt those will move the needle much.

The only thing that could help the PS5 right now is Final Fantasy 16 and Sony throwing money at all of those Dragon Quest games.
They don't move the needle much no, but of the games currently announced for PS5 in Japan in 2022 I'd say they are two of the biggest ones.

Considering what I've seen and heard about the Switch version I'm not surprised. I doubt the Switch version will pull ahead if it starts out behind this time.

Musou leading on PS is the expectation. If they launch close to each other that's kind of bad for the PS version.

Activision should take note. CoD needs fashion.
Honestly, I would probably be down to buy Halo Infinite's battle pass. The only thing is that every single one of their "aesthetics" is butt ass ugly.

Geo is tracking similarly with the PS4 version slightly ahead. They're saying sales are high for Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires. Install Base seems to think PS5 version won't chart on Top 30 because cutoff for next week looks to be around 5,000.

Between heavy hitters like Splatoon 3, Kirby, and Pokémon Legends, and others like Bayonetta 3 and Triangle Strategy, Switch looks to be headed for another banger year in Japan. Their lineup is just so much more attuned to the market's tastes.

I don't know if this has been shared yet: During a conference talk in Japan, a CyberConnect2 rep stated that "now 45% of all Nintendo software is sold as a download, and PS titles can exceed 70%". It isn't clear that if the numbers reflect only CC2 titles or the industry in general; also unclear if those were Japan only or global. Regardless, 45% vs. 70% is a significant delta, and I'm not sure how that impacts the interpretation of Famitsu sales chart.

Install Base has done some napkin math based on the release of new figures, and estimates that Metroid Dread has sold at least 100k digitally and that Metroid Dread is at least at 230k LTD in Japan.

Install Base has done some napkin math based on the release of new figures, and estimates that Metroid Dread has sold at least 100k digitally and that Metroid Dread is at least at 230k LTD in Japan.
That feels really really good for Japan

I don't know if this has been shared yet: During a conference talk in Japan, a CyberConnect2 rep stated that "now 45% of all Nintendo software is sold as a download, and PS titles can exceed 70%". It isn't clear that if the numbers reflect only CC2 titles or the industry in general; also unclear if those were Japan only or global. Regardless, 45% vs. 70% is a significant delta, and I'm not sure how that impacts the interpretation of Famitsu sales chart.

Recent events tell me Matsuyama is not great with numbers like this. =P

Judging by what we know of Mercury Steams Financials then, I think Nintendo will make a tidy profit from Japanese sales alone.

Their senior developers only make around $31,000 USD a year. Having even a really big development team of 80 would only be about $10,000,000 in manpower. My guess is their overall budget was 20 million.

I think Metroid is doing extremely well especially with Mercury Steam taking point.

Between heavy hitters like Splatoon 3, Kirby, and Pokémon Legends, and others like Bayonetta 3 and Triangle Strategy, Switch looks to be headed for another banger year in Japan. Their lineup is just so much more attuned to the market's tastes.
How can you list major 2022 releases and leave out Zelda?!?

Back
Top Bottom