• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu Week 51 (Dec. 13-19) sales

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Software:
1. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl 116,567/2,162,697
2. Mario Party Superstars 60,555/519,556
3. Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain 33,796/103,816
4. Minecraft 29,638/2,365,783
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 28,075/4,219,343
6. Animal Crossing New Horizons 27,260/7,038,121
7. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 26,432/4,579,273
8. Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! 15,913/2,464,196
9. Pokemon Sword/Shield 14,234/4,242,081
10. Ring Fit Adventure 13,903/2,970,388

Pokemon fever hasn't broken yet and yet another strong week for Switch evergreens for an all Switch Top 10. No Warriors yet on the chart.

Hardware:
Switch family (includes OLED, Lite and OG) 176,832 (this week), 5,381,073 (YTD)
Switch OLED 93,406 (this week), 675,654 (YTD)
PS5 (all varieties) 8,664 (this week), 942,798 (YTD)
Xbox Series 2,889 (this week), 95,558 (YTD)

Team 2021 didn't get the miracle it needed this week. OLED demand is being met. Sony did better this week but they should be doing better and probably would because of stock. Phil comes up a week short. Last week, he would have beat Sony handily with those numbers. Still a decent week for Xbox.

Last edited:
Same. I think sales will only get lower next year, even if it's going to be a killer year, software wise. It's still doing massive numbers this far into its life cycle.
if they did a price drop, they'd keep up numbers, but I think system revenue is gonna slip regardless

Even with the decline in hardware sales Switch is still doing great numbers. So I’d wager that the successor will come in 2023. Definitely not next year.

Everything we're seeing is convincing me more and more that they indeed will want to launch new hardware next year specifically to

A) reverse the decline in demand and
B) ensure that the transition between the two products is specifically not a clean break

Everything is all coming together to point to this. Rumors have been saying a 2022 launch for a long time now. Devkits have reportedly been in developer's hands since 2020. Demand is slowing in their home market. OLED model has new components pointing to them being shared with a new model (like the dock). Furukawa's insistence that it's still in the middle it's lifespan.

Everything is pointing to a smartphone-style iterative upgrade happening next year.

Everything we're seeing is convincing me more and more that they indeed will want to launch new hardware next year specifically to

B) ensure that the transition between the two products is specifically not a clean break

Everything is all coming together to point to this. Rumors have been saying a 2022 launch for a long time now. Devkits have reportedly been in developer's hands since 2020. Demand is slowing in their home market. OLED model has new components pointing to them being shared with a new model (like the dock). Furukawa's insistence that it's still in the middle it's lifespan.

Everything is pointing to a smartphone-style iterative upgrade happening next year.
It's just your wishful thinking, there is no evidence of this.

Rot I tell ya!

Really, are those Switch numbers not good? Could probably use deltas with the numbers.
no they're really good, but it's lower than last year. not by much though. at this price point, I don't think there's much they can do to move more units.

no they're really good, but it's lower than last year. not by much though. at this price point, I don't think there's much they can do to move more units.
It's 90,000 lower than last year.

For perspective, that 90,000 unit gap is more than 10x the amount of PS5s that were sold last week.

Still good numbers but a very clear decline.

Great Switch numbers but saturation in Japan is definitely at play now. Software-wise Switch will rock n roll next year. When it comes to hardware? Switch is preparing for landing.

PS5 number are quitre a jump from last week. Still, they are worrisome numbers.

if they did a price drop, they'd keep up numbers, but I think system revenue is gonna slip regardless
Price drop and/or new hardware (not successor) will help keep the momentum, otherwise I don't know what will.

To be honest, even with a Switch 4k system, I don't know for how long they can keep enjoying the big sales numbers, developers will always need to develop for base Switch as well.

Price drop and/or new hardware (not successor) will help keep the momentum, otherwise I don't know what will.

To be honest, even with a Switch 4k system, I don't know for how long they can keep enjoying the big sales numbers, developers will always need to develop for base Switch as well.
they can always cut out the base switch to drive people to the higher end machine. there's only so long Nintendo can continue to support it when even their own devs are seeing the limits of the system

For perspective, that 90,000 unit gap is more than 10x the amount of PS5s that were sold last week.

Equivalent week or total for the year?

PS5 isn't relevant to the Japanese market as long as Sony cannot produce units and establish a market for the system there, so comparing the gap to PS5 sales is a disingenuous metric at best. The decline is minimal and does not require Nintendo to make any rash decisions, Switch is still an extremely healthy position in Japan.

I think ya'll are wildin. I'm sure there are supply issues, the fact that it is only down 300k for the year speaks volumes to the the fact that it has been selling well

PS5 isn't relevant to the Japanese market as long as Sony cannot produce units and establish a market for the system there, so comparing the gap to PS5 sales is a disingenuous metric at best. The decline is minimal and does not require Nintendo to make any rash decisions, Switch is still an extremely healthy position in Japan.
It was just to illustrate that 90,000 isn't nothing. I don't disagree at all that the overall decline is minimal and they don't need to make rash decisions. We're undeniably starting to finally see saturation though, which is the time you'd want to think about launching a new model to drive demand back up.
I think ya'll are wildin. I'm sure there are supply issues, the fact that it is only down 300k for the year speaks volumes to the the fact that it has been selling well
All models have been fully in stock in Japan for the past 3 weeks.

It being down only 300k is indeed impressive but that was helped by the lockdowns that happened earlier in the year which gave them a massive Q1. So assuming no new lockdowns happen it stands to reason the drop next year won't be all that small.

Switch at 94% weekly market share.
PS4 outsold 5:1 by a system discontinued over a year ago, RIP.

I don't know why people are acting like Switch is dying and needs replacement, these are still really good numbers.

Last edited:
Switch at 94% weekly market share.
PS4 outsold 5:1 by a system discontinued over a year ago, RIP.

I don't know why people are acting like Switch is dying and needs replacement, these are still really good numbers.
I don't think anyone is, just that the system my be hitting a carrying capacity and growth is slowed

Fair, but isn't it normal for a successful system in year 5 to have slowed growth? PS4 was passed its peak in 2018 for instance.
yes, that's why people are saying it's hitting saturation point. Switch is just unique in that it took 5 years to hit its peak when most systems hit before that

Fair, but isn't it normal for a successful system in year 5 to have slowed growth? PS4 was passed its peak in 2018 for instance.
Yes, every system will have a decline. In fact there's no evidence Switch is hitting saturation in any market but Japan right now.

That doesn't mean that they can, should or will coast on this hardware for the next 3 years. Nintendo is not Sony and has a different revenue model that relies heavily on hardware sales. They can't afford to wait until the decline is severe enough to heavily impact their business.

I'm very curious to see how they balance the messaging of "this is just another member of the switch family" and "you absolutely need it though"

Yes, every system will have a decline. In fact there's no evidence Switch is hitting saturation in any market but Japan right now.

That doesn't mean that they can, should or will coast on this hardware for the next 3 years. Nintendo is not Sony and has a different revenue model that relies heavily on hardware sales. They can't afford to wait until the decline is severe enough to heavily impact their business.
I don't see any sign we're headed for a "severe" decline any time soon.

3 years, so holiday 2024, may be too long, yeah, but to me it seems too much of a leap to straight from "Switch has peaked" to "replace it ASAP". Globally, it's still on track to sell about 24-25 million units this year which is only around 10% down from 2020 which was one the best years any system has ever had.

Last edited:
Anyway, I'd rather not get into an extended discussion about it again, my stress levels are really high atm and the topic of Switch's successor increases my OCD/anxiety, thanks for understanding. :)

painfully relatable

for a while danescussion made me actually feel like throwing up
It should be a while before we hear anything concrete about that anyway. Software is looking really good for next year and I'm sure the February Direct will have us excited or shaking our fists at Nintendo for not showing us Metroid Prime 4 again. Or both.

Next week might not be an all Top 10 Switch because Dynasty Warriors 9. I guess we'll see if this week is another all Switch Top 30 and if Link is climbing that cliff again (split SKUs really drain Link's stamina)

Famitsu Week 51 (Dec 13-19) Top 30
Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-12-13-21-12-19-21-top-30/

1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 116,657 / 2,162,697
2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 60,555 / 519,556
3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain 33,796 / 103,816
4. [NSW] Minecraft – 29,638 / 2,365,783
5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 28,075 / 4,219,343
6. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 27,260 / 7,038,121
7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 26,432 / 4,579,273
8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 15,913 / 2,464,196
9. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 14,234 / 4,242,081
10. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 13,903 / 2,970,388
11. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 10,472 / 951,634
12. [NSW] Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth – 10,374 / NEW
13. [NSW] PUI PUI Molcar Let’s! Molcar Party! – 10,184 / NEW
14. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 9,314 / 853,602
15. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Edition – 7,620 / 25,906
16. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 7,341 / 1,162,581
17. [NSW] Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion – 7,255 / 31,646
18. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! – 6,982 / 659,311
19. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition – 6,538 / 26,823
20. [NSW] Fishing Spirits Nintendo Switch Version – 6,454 / 646,541
21. [NSW] Fortnite Minty Legends Pack – 6,450 / 36,749
22. [NSW] Deathsmiles I & II – 6,122 / NEW
23. [NSW] Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Aoi Tsukiyo no Mahou no Ko – Game de Asobo! – 6,032 / 20,613
24. [NSW] The Battle Cats Unite! – 6,002 / 92,019
25. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 5,773 / 3,983,014
26. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 5,768 / 2,290,859
27. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 5,366 / 810,010
28. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! – 5,153 / 179,345
29. [NSW] Game Builder Garage – 4,975 / 266,186
30. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 4,600 / 2,026,952

NS - 30/30

Last edited:
Deathsmiles I & II making the Top 30 at least. Both Splatoon SKUs are also in the Top 30. Link is still nowhere to be found.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is back with a increase of nearly 46,000 units since the last time it charted in May putting it over the 800k mark, really nice to see the undercover evergreens resurface now and again.

Taiko no Tatsujin and Fishing Spirits hanging at number 18/20 like champions over 2/3 years after release respectively. Legs like a giraffe, or perhaps more accurately, like Nintendo games.

Momotaro is an absolute monster as well, outselling even titans like Super Mario Party and Mario Odyssey.

Who says third parties can't sell on Nintendo?

Who says third parties can't sell on Nintendo?
there's still plenty of people who say that, using nintendo's dominance in the charts as evidence. but it's more that A) the bar has been greatly raised and B) there's nothing that really "deserves" to be up so high. a lot of third party games that could chart highly just aren't on the system

there's still plenty of people who say that, using nintendo's dominance in the charts as evidence. but it's more that A) the bar has been greatly raised and B) there's nothing that really "deserves" to be up so high. a lot of third party games that could chart highly just aren't on the system
Pretty much, you only get out what you put in after all.
Desirable third party games will (and do) sell on Switch, it's just third parties are generally providing relatively few desirable titles. I mean look at Monster Hunter Rise, 7.5 million in 6 months, that's insane for a third party exclusive on any platform.

The one I've been seeing more frequently is that third party games don't sell well because the sales difference for multiplatform isn't directly proportional to the difference in user base between Switch & PS4/PS5.

Back
Top Bottom