• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu Week 36, 2022 sales (Aug 29-Sept. 4)

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Software:
1. NSW JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R - 19,807
2. PS4 Earth Defense Force 6 - 15,036/83,377
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 12,568/4,815,149
4. NSW Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness - 12,542
5. PS5 The Last of Us Part 1 - 10,954
6. Nintendo Switch Sports - 9,004/715,641
7. Minecraft - 8,565/2,776,718
8. NSW SD Gundam: Battle Alliance - 7,758/46,392
9. PS4 Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness - 7,720
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 7,246/876,792

It's not a JoJoke that JoJo leads the top 10 this week. Made in Abyss favored the Switch by quite a bit. TLOU has a decent PS5 debut. Soul Hackers 2 falls into the abyss.

Hardware:
Nintendo Switch family (includes OLED, Lite and OG) 98,168 (this week), 2,976,586 (YTD)
Switch OLED 66,442 (this week), 1,605,456 (YTD)
PS5 (all varieties) 20,292 (this week), 688,302 (YTD)
Xbox Series 5,438 (this week), 195,054 (YTD)

Another strong week for Splatoon 3 OLED. PS5 sales are solid as are Xbox Series.

A pretty nothing week in terms of software and that's a bit surprising considering that a franchise as big as the Last of Us had a game release this week. But I guess a remaster of a remaster on a system that has had software sales issues not making a huge dent in the charts shouldn't be that surprising.

Famitsu.png

Best week 36 that Switch has ever had, next week will be even bigger with splatoon 3 launching.

Graph from Hiska-Kun from InstallBase

2022-09-08-15-11-05.jpg

After 36 weeks - After 52 weeks
2022: 2.98 million - ???
2021: 3.71 million - 5.58 million
2020: 3.69 million - 5.96 million
2019: 2.03 million - 4.49 million
2018: 1.65 million - 3.48 million
2017: 1.65 million - 3.41 million

Last edited:
Was JoJo not a multiplatform release? Seems like a bigger difference than usual.
Yeah, Jojo PS version not being in the Top 10 is quite surprising, honestly. It's a fighting game, a genre that is not Switch's strong suit. But it seems that audience too favors Switch.

With these hardware sales pre-Splatoon 3, I wonder what the jump will be next week. Impressive numbers!

Edit: I only know realize Jojo also released on PS but didn't make the top 10, damn...

Last edited:
With these hardware sales pre-Splatoon 3, I wonder what the jump will be next week. Impressive numbers!

Edit: I only know realize Jojo also released on PS but didn't make the top 10, damn...
I'm going with 150K, this late into Switch's life it would be hard to push much more despite Splatoon 3 being a juggernaut.

Last edited:
I'm going with 150K, this late into Switch's life it would be hard to push much more despite Splatoon 3 being a juggernaut.
150K is really a stretch I think. More than 120K would be a wonder I feel. Saturation and all.

I'm talking year over year. 2022 sales overall are behind 2020 and 2021. Still ahead of 2019 though.
2020 and 2021 don't count as normal years due to Covid hyper inflating entertainment sales during lock downs. That's why 2019 is a far more interesting year for comparison.

Famitsu Week 36 2022 Top 30 (Aug 29-Sept. 4)
Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-8-29-22-9-4-22-top-30/

1. [NSW] JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R – 19,807 / NEW
2. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 6 – 15,036 / NEW
3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 12,568 / 4,815,149
4. [NSW] Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness – 12,542 / NEW
5. [PS5] The Last of Us Part 1 – 10,954 / NEW
6. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 9,004 / 715,641
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,565 / 2,776,718
8. [NSW] SD Gundam Battle Alliance – 7,758 / 46,392
9. [PS4] Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness – 7,720 / NEW
10. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 7,246 / 876,792
11. [PS4] JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R – 7,032 / NEW
12. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 5,634 / 3,263,815
13. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set – 5,128 / 260,788
14. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,093 / 4,965,946
15. [PS5] Earth Defense Force 6 – 4,499 / 28,862
16. [PS4] Soul Hackers 2 – 4,370 / 35,974
17. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 3,993 / 7,321,626
18. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 3,978 / 1,031,218
19. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 3,733 / 2,711,644
20. [PS5] JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R – 3,721 / NEW
21. [PS4] SD Gundam Battle Alliance – 3,557 / 21,507
22. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 2,897 / 226,304
23. [PS4] Saints Row – 2,828 / 12,841
24. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 2,583 / 4,117,264
25. [NSW] Kirby’s Dream Buffet (Download Card) – 2,573 / 13,665
26. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 2,554 / 2,073,256
27. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,544 / 1,015,610
28. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – 2,363 / 164,353
29. [NSW] Live A Live – 2,201 / 116,668
30. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 2,001 / 2,289,807

NS - 21
PS4 - 6
PS5 - 3

I’m gonna laugh next week if LAL is still in the top 30 while SH2 waves as it passes by on its way off the bottom of the list

Last edited:
Given the performance of the game, it would have been a disaster
Oh yeah. The digital foundry video was wild. Granted the xbox port were done by artdink, who I am not sure have experience porting to xbox. Still shipping a version like that hurts reputations.

It would have been interesting how, in an alternate universe with no xbox port, how their switch versions would have looked.

Yeah, Jojo PS version not being in the Top 10 is quite surprising, honestly. It's a fighting game, a genre that is not Switch's strong suit. But it seems that audience too favors Switch.

This reminds me of the long lasting assumption that JRPGs don't sell on Nintendo systems. You had to ignore Pokemon to justify that claim but especially the videogame press had no qualms about doing exactly that to justify that claim, and to explain why Final Fantasy became PS exclusive starting with FF7, rather than to simply tell people about backdoors exclusivity deals between PS and Square.

Very similar situation for fighting games starting with the 64bit generation. Ignoring Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat success and spreading the narrative that there was no market for this genre on Nintendo systems. This misconception was created by deliberate actions of publishers, doing a bad job at serving Nintendo systems. PS for example moneyhatting SF5 and buying EVO is also creating the illusion that PS is more important than it actually is.

SH2 is just a flop all around. switch wouldn't have saved it.

Let's assume a day and date release would at worst have performed at least the same as PS4+PS5 version, looking at Jojos performance it's a possible scenario. It means the game would have doubled the sales, it's unreasonable to suggest that doubling sales wouldn't have made a difference, especially with this weak performance potentially beeing the difference between barely breaking even and making a small profit.

Let's assume a day and date release would at worst have performed at least the same as PS4+PS5 version, looking at Jojos performance it's a possible scenario. It means the game would have doubled the sales, it's unreasonable to suggest that doubling sales wouldn't have made a difference, especially with this weak performance potentially beeing the difference between barely breaking even and making a small profit.
i guess you're right, it would have made things a bit better but overall i think for atlus this whole project is just a failure they're gonna move on from, and the extra sales switch would have brought wouldn't have changed that.

i guess you're right, it would have made things a bit better but overall i think for atlus this whole project is just a failure they're gonna move on from, and the extra sales switch would have brought wouldn't have changed that.

I agree that a Switch version probably wouldn't have turned Soul Hackers 2 necessarily into a homerun, but there are always more levels of performances than just flop and megahit. Atlus isn't exactly known for multimillion selling IPs, the only exception is Persona, and that is a rather recent glow up. Shin Megami Tensei for example, is still considered an important pillar and success. SMT5 crossing the million threshhold was celebrated as a huge success, even though Persona is notably more successful.

I think that a day and date Switch version of SH2, would have helped to push overall sales into the 500k-1.000k range. Which for Atlus would have most likely been considered a successful "new" IP.

The question is if the team will be given another chance or not. Two projects in a row seemingly underperforming can have severe consequences. It's a shame that TMS didn't work out in the first place, because it really had potential to become Nintendos co-owned "Persona-like" IP.

Oh yeah. The digital foundry video was wild. Granted the xbox port were done by artdink, who I am not sure have experience porting to xbox. Still shipping a version like that hurts reputations.

It would have been interesting how, in an alternate universe with no xbox port, how their switch versions would have looked.
The game runs on unity and Art Dink has worked on high quality games before (on Switch, ironically). I'm putting all the blame on atlus

The game runs on unity and Art Dink has worked on high quality games before (on Switch, ironically). I'm putting all the blame on atlus
Considering outsourced Atlus ports have had bad track record even if made by good companies I agree with Atlus being the one to blame either not giving enough budget or time to the ArtDink

Considering outsourced Atlus ports have had bad track record even if made by good companies I agree with Atlus being the one to blame either not giving enough budget or time to the ArtDink
I'm inclined to fault Atlus here, but is there a possibility ArtDink was too busy with Triangle Strategy to have the resources to dedicate to SH2 for the schedule Atlus wanted? I mean, it's still Atlus's decision not to delay or to have pulled the contract so I don't think it's fully ArtDink's fault, I'm just not familiar with ArtDink and how big they are as a company.

looking on their website they have 88 employees as of 2020. considering this was a porting job to XBO and PC from slightly stronger systems (Atlus did the PS4 version) and using Unity, I just can't believe lack of personnel was the issue. lack of time and financing, I can definitely see because that's a problem with even Atlus's builds

fun fact, ArtDink even assisted with SMT5 with optimizations

looking on their website they have 88 employees as of 2020. considering this was a porting job to XBO and PC from slightly stronger systems (Atlus did the PS4 version) and using Unity, I just can't believe lack of personnel was the issue. lack of time and financing, I can definitely see because that's a problem with even Atlus's builds

fun fact, ArtDink even assisted with SMT5 with optimizations
In my opinion, this just makes a stronger case for a revised edition hitting Switch by late next year

In my opinion, this just makes a stronger case for a revised edition hitting Switch by late next year
Unless the game ends up flopping so hard that someone in charge goes "This is a financial sinkhole. Cancel it!" which is something I actually, unironically fear.

What does it take for a console maker to be considered the market leader? Genuine question. Because you'd think that Nintendo with its current market share is leading now, but on Era Sony is still considered the market leader...

What does it take for a console maker to be considered the market leader? Genuine question. Because you'd think that Nintendo with its current market share is leading now, but on Era Sony is still considered the market leader...
What it takes is to have the name Playstation.
I don't want to get into console warring, but I am confident that if the Switch was made by Sony it would have received most 3rd party games (it probably would've been the base console and the games would be up-ported to other devices), especially from Japanese developers - just look at how many games the Vita got developed specifically for it. The support that console got was not at all proportional to it's sales, especially when you consider that it sold on par with the Wii U.

This is just my belief obviously, and there's really no way to prove it since it's just a hypothetical.

Has there ever been a Switch version in Japan that didn't sell the best? Assuming it's a simultaneous launch.
There's been a few - typically games from franchises with a long history on Playstation platforms.

Edit: Obviously early into the Switch's life quite a few games sold better on PS4, but recently it's been rare.

Given this is a thread on Japanese sales, any argument against Nintendo is just denial. Many skipped that and went straight towards "Japan doesn't matter" rhetoric

Nintendo sells the most software (1st and 3rd party) and hardware in Japan, there is no question about who is the market leader in Japan. Playstation is closer to Xbox than Nintendo in Japan

That's subjective. And sort of depends on you measure on units sold or revenue and which regions. Nintendo is the obvious market leader in Japan, and Nintendo usually has been on top of the monthly NPD charts as far as hardware although Xbox or PS5 sometimes does better as far a revenue. Sony is the market leader as far as them making money from microtransactions. But globally, Nintendo Switch is the dominant console right now. PS5 is doing well in North America and Europe, and Xbox is becoming more competitive with PlayStation everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom