• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Famitsu: TotK interview w/ Aonuma & Fujibayashi; dev insights, no plan to release additional content, high expectations for next Zelda aren't a hurdle

What are your thoughts on TotK not recieving any DLC?

• I'm ok with it

Votes: 205 75.9%
  • Dissapointed

Votes: 39 14.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 26 9.6%

• Total voters
There’s a lot of things I expected to see followed up in DLC but ultimately not too bothered besides Kass not showing up. On a side note I always felt that the Mineru stuff was DLC they managed to just make base game after the delays. Just feels very “expansion-y” to me like the Cycle in BotW

That's good, the game doesn't need it. Any additional content would just be content for the sake of adding content, and in a game filled with loads of content already, it would just be overwhelming.

Between the fact that the DLC for BotW was the weakest part of the whole package and the fact that most of TotK itself felt like DLC, this is the right decision.

Shame we'll never get a proper hard mode that fixes the flaws of BotW's, though. Although knowing the TotK design approach they would have just lifted master mode wholesale anyway.

"The Depths in particular had an initial prototype prepared notably quickly by inverting the terrain height of the existing Hyrule map. The map was manually adjusted and fine-tuned during production from there, but the base didn't take much time to create."

A huge problem with TotK is that you can feel this. 90% of the caves are very clearly an inverted map of Hyrule with copy-pasted. It has nowhere near the level of care and polish as the main (BotW) map. Which is a massive shame, as it's the bulk of the new area of the game. With a 6 year development, hearing that they just slapped up a new area like this is disappointing. It was a good idea and overall a good addition to the game, but it feels like a band-aid they added when they realised that reusing the map alone wasn't going to cut it. God damn, they fucked up so badly by reusing the same map. It has been months and I still feel this way, so I'm starting to realise that I will be forever mad about it lol

Last edited:
The game is filled to the brim with incredible content. I couldn't possibly be disappointed with this news and I'm happy they're already in a position to fully focus their efforts on the next project. Looking forward to it!

I imagine any possible DLC concepts like new landmasses and dungeons are instead being saved for the next Zelda, just as Wind Waker's cut content ended up in future games. I would prefer to experience such content designed for the ground-up for new hardware, anyway.

The only thing that surprises me about this is no master mode. Really thought they wouldn’t leave the game without one
I’m hoping this and Trial of the sword could just be in a free update or something, but that’s probably wishful thinking. I wish they were there at launch

This isn't the least bit surprising if you've been paying attention, we already know they spent well over a typical game dev cycle worth of time working on what was originally BotW DLC which outgrew that limitation, if they wanted to do more with this game they would have already. Any areas it's lacking, any ideas they had along the way which didn't make it due to not fitting in that world or technical constraints were definitely put aside for a next full new zelda game on the next console. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were working on this and the next one simultaneously.

To turn into a dragon requires eating a stone, did the game ever imply who the three dragons are? Are they just natural creatures or were they transformed? I thought a backstory on that would have been cool.

Oh no! Now my green block of a house will be forever windowless!

Although DLC is discarded I wouldn't rule out smaller free updates like what Mario Odyssey got.

To turn into a dragon requires eating a stone, did the game ever imply who the three dragons are? Are they just natural creatures or were they transformed? I thought a backstory on that would have been cool.
If you compare the physical characteristics of the Light Dragon to the other three it seems pretty obvious the the three dragons were once Zonai members who at some point ate their stones, which later resulted in the action being forbidden, however the three individuals were still venerated by the Zonai as there are costumes based on the three and the Flame, Frost, and Shock emitters are all based around them.

Thus it's likely they were just Zonai members who worshipped the Golden Trio and lived or were stationed around each spring. At least this is what I would assume.

Without DLC its been left intentionally vague and open, like so much else in this game.

The dragons having once been Zonai people is not something I would have expected to be addressed in DLC* and seems purposeful as a bit of world-building open mystery, like the identities of the Leviathans. The Ember, Frostbite and Charged armor even serve as additional hints, all being Zonai outfits themed around these dragons, intended for rituals.

*Maybe in the playable Zelda memories DLC I imagined in my head where you solve Recall puzzles with Zelda and interact with the past Sages

What does feel like it was left unsatisfyingly open is the absence of Kass, and now I'm anticipating a BotW3 to take place in a different landmass where Kass traveled to with the same Link and Zelda.

While I'm done with this Hyrule, I am fine with the same characters returning to go on a new adventure, perhaps aged up.

RIP Kass

@Serif

All I wanted from the DLC was more legacy items/costumes, considering all the ones in the game are from BOTW, and some more information on the past namely at the very least names and faces to go alongside the ancient sages.

Cool! I love when I buy a game and I don't have to worry about spending my finite amount of money in yet another piece of content they release later; and besides, it's not like Tears of the Kingdom, of all games, needed any kind of DLC (on top of the game being $70 already..).

For more mainstream AAA games doing this, please.

Perfect, means we can maybe see the next 3D Zelda set in a different world with different characters and different ideas before the end of the Switch 2’s lifespan? Loved TotK but, with how big these games are, I feel like you have to switch things up every few games

I'm mostly fine with this as I'm ready to move on to a completely brand new Zelda world/characters/etc., but the one thing I'm a bit sad to not get is some closure and more time spent between Link and Zelda. That was one of the things I wanted to see most in TOTK - them interacting and building their relationship and just having more cute little moments together, and we got basically nothing. But I can live with that, eager to see what's next!

I was hoping to get an answer about why Link and Zelda even hang out when the last thing he wants to do is talk to her.

My answer to the poll is "I'm happy with it". It was a complete game, didn't really need anything else (let alone to pay for it) and I want them to focus on a new experience and have more time on that!

If all resources can be put into the next game, then by all means do that. If not? Go work on a 2D game on the side like you lot used to do.

Anything DLC that’d be worth it for me would likely be better suited to be part of the next next game. I’m very much done with this Hyrule.

I still can't believe that they never released 'the making of totk' developer videos. I wonder if a totk Making A Champion is coming.

I said this months ago as it was not announced pre release and no game has ever needed dlc less than TOTK.

They need to get moving on to the next game quick, as the next 3D Zelda isn’t going to come out till near the end of the Switch 2’s lifecycle.
I feel like since they said totk was basically finished in 2022, they've been working on the next game since then

The real reason why they aren't making a DLC for Tears of the Kingdom is that Aonuma and Fujibayashi are too preoccupied with playing with their Switch 2 devkits and testing out all the DLSS features at the moment.

The real reason why they aren't making a DLC for Tears of the Kingdom is that Aonuma and Fujibayashi are too preoccupied with playing with their Switch 2 devkits and testing out all the DLSS features at the moment.

they're making every light source a shadow caster with ray tracing

I feel like since they said totk was basically finished in 2022, they've been working on the next game since then
I wouldn't be surprised if if it's been even longer than that, since they originally didn't consider totk development as the next game at first, they probably at least began the planning stages for it as soon as base botw was finished

Get that 4-years-out teaser that shows us what the next Zelda could look like on switch 2 ready for next year 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Nintendo probably doesn't want to delay the next Zelda any further since it probably is a minimum of 4 years out, not a bad decision.

Back
Top Bottom