• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Famitsu: TotK interview w/ Aonuma & Fujibayashi; dev insights, no plan to release additional content, high expectations for next Zelda aren't a hurdle

What are your thoughts on TotK not recieving any DLC?

• I'm ok with it

Votes: 205 75.9%
  • Dissapointed

Votes: 39 14.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 26 9.6%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
今回は追加コンテンツの発売予定はないのですが、それはあの世界で遊びを作ることを、やり尽くした感じがあるからです。
We have no plans to release additional content this time because we feel that we have done all we can to create play in that world.

more from article
-- I see. Well then, I'm anxious to hear about the next work…… I believe there are various posibilities, whether it's a further sequel, or a new setting.

Fujibayashi: I don't know if it will be the next work, but i'm thinking about what the "next fun experience" will be. As for form that will take, I can only say that at this point we don't know.

Aonuma: This time we do not plan to release any additional content, because we feel that we have exhausted the possibilities of creating fun in that world. In the first place, the reason we decided to make this a sequel to the previous work was because we felt there was value in experiencing new gameplay in that Hyrule setting. So, if those reasons are renewed, we may return to that same world again. Whether it is a sequel or a new work, it will be a whole new experience, and I hope you will look forward to it.

-- The hurdle raised by 'Breath of the Wild' has been surpassed again with 'Tears of the Kingdom', and I believe the expectations of players have also been raised even higher, saying "they'll make something even more amazing"……

Aonuma: Fujibayashi and the rest of the development team do consider this a hurdle, so please do look forward to it!

-- Oohhh!

Fujibayashi: I believe the staff who have worked on The Legend of Zelda series over many generations have always felt the same way. We are very grateful that so many customers have been deeply enjoying Tears of the Kingdom over a long period, and we will do our best to make the next installment even more enjoyable.

Last edited:
So much of the game is recycled from BOTW. It really needed something more.

At the very least I hope this isn't the end of this Link and Zelda.

I'll really miss Trial of the Sword and Master Mode, I wish they were in the game at launch. Aside from that, I'm good with the basic package, wasn't really itching that much for DLC, because I feel they've explored almost all avenues they can with this particular engine and world.

A bit disappointed, I suppose. But I guess if the choice was to either get right on a sequel/successor or make some DLC, it'd be no contest.

Of course, now I'm REALLY stuck hoping that the new Twinrova get their time in a "Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War".

As I posted in the direct thread, the full comment is worth focusing on, as they discuss the next 3D Zelda as well:

-- I see. Now I would like to ask you about the next production, which I am anxious to hear about....... Is it a sequel, a new setting, or something else?

Fujibayashi: I don't know if it will be the next production or not, but I am thinking about what the "next fun experience" will be. What form that will take, I can only say that at this point we don't know.

Aonuma: This time we do not plan to release any additional content because we feel that we have exhausted the possibilities of creating fun in that world. The reason why we decided to make this a sequel to the previous game was because we felt that there was value in experiencing a new type of play in that Hyrule setting. Then, if those reasons are renewed, we may go back to the same world. Whether it is a sequel or a new work, I think it will be a whole new experience, and I hope you will look forward to it.

--I think that the hurdle that was raised with "Breath of the Wild" has now been surpassed again with "Tears of the Kingdom," and players' expectations have been raised even higher that the company will make something even more amazing, but……

Aonuma: Fujibayashi and the rest of the development team do not consider this a hurdle, so please keep your expectations high!

@lemonfresh would it be alright if I edited the thread title and your opening post to include some of the other revelations from the article? There's a lot even beyond this segment on a sequel.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm cool with this.
The game is absolutely huge to begin with, I feel like I could keep playing it for hundreds of hours after rolling the end credits. It definitely feels like a complete experience and not something in need of additions.
With games taking as long to make as they do these days, it's for the best that they move on to the next one.
And hey, at least we won't have to worry about TOTK being the closer yet again at next week's Direct! ;)

I'm disappointed. Where's Master Mode? Where is Kass? What happened to all the Sheikah Tech?

"Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War".
I'd only want something like this if it's a earnest prequel, if they tried to pull the same AoC sthick of "surprise it's not a prequel" after not expanding on the past in the proper game itself, I'd fling my copy of the game so hard into the horizon it would circle the globe.

Pessimistic outlook: No more Tears of the Kingdom content

Optimistic outlook: The majority of the Zelda team finished the game over a year ago. I wonder how far along they are in the next project!

Pretty disappointing. No Kass, no Master Mode, no giant crazy DLC shrines like BotW. The Proving Grounds shrines proved that stuff like the Trial of the Sword was meant for Tears of the Kingdom. You can't tell me a rogue-like Proving Grounds/Trial of the Sword DLC wouldn't go insane. I feel like so many of the mechanics in the game are barely even touched too. It's not like this wouldn't sell well either. I could think of a billion tings to do with this game so the devs saying they can't do anything more is silly to me.

A bit mixed on this, I guess. On the one hand, I had sorta just assumed the plan was one big expansion at some point, maybe a year or so after launch, because what game of this size and success doesn't get DLC these days; Little things like the complete lack of Kass, and no master mode, felt like maybe they were leaving room to do more. And I remember an interview where they mentioned having scrapped a bunch of zonai devices, so I was interested in the idea of some of those being revisited as DLC.

But on the other hand, if they feel they've done all they can with TotK, I'm not gonna argue with them. Certainly not like the game is hurting for content. And if this means that the next 3D Zelda can come out that much sooner, not like I'm gonna complain.

And even more selfishly, this means we can speculate about something Zelda for 2024 without any shadow of "would they do that, or will they just do TotK DLC instead". For example, maybe WW/TP ports finally show up, or maybe Grezzo's got a new top-down in the works?

Honestly I'm kind of glad. I wasn't really wanting more content in the Breath of the Wild world anymore after finishing Tears. I'm ready for the next interpretation of Hyrule.

I do think it's lame that Master Mode wasn't included in the game, though. Hopefully that's patched as a free update.

I'd only want something like this if it's a earnest prequel, if they tried to pull the same AoC sthick of "surprise it's not a prequel" after not expanding on the past in the proper game itself, I'd fling my copy of the game so hard into the horizon it would circle the globe.
I can sympathize with those who honestly thinking they were tricked, but quite honestly? I was just fine with what we got. Maybe it was because I think KT thrives better when they get to expand upon a universe in their own take on the mythos. Or maybe it was because I had gotten over a similar "hurt" ages ago when Ocarina of Time was initially advertised as telling the story of the OG Imprisoning War from LTTP, and what we got in the final version clearly wasn't that in any form! LOL

I think this makes sense that the team has moved on to their next project, which is likely the Switch 2 Zelda project.

It also does perhaps pour some cold water on just how likely we are going to get a high effort cross gen patch of Totk if it seems like Nintendo wants to move on from it.

That said DLC schedule for a spring 2023 game would likely dictate they release well before Switch 2 hardware anyways and this could all mean nothing to the potential for cross gen patches

Not surprising, but I am glad to hear that they're focused on figuring out what the new experience will be. I really don't want to just keep building off of Totk, the focus on building brought a lot of baggage that I don't want to bring going forward.

Here is the first thing Kass would have said to Link if he was in TotK DLC:

"Hello. Nice to meet you. What's your name?"

This made me irrationally angry to think about

I will be petty and say I so called this.

Totk was the peak of their ambition I doubt they have anything more to add to this world of Zelda (other than a another musou spin off).

While totk was just okay for me with some really great spots but pretty disappointing sidequest I’m exited to see how they do this style of gameplay with a complete blank slate.

A bit disappointed but understandable with how huge the game was, I just wish they said this earlier. Best of luck on the next game.

I was extremely burned out from this Hyrule. So I'm really glad they moved their efforts to the next thing. Though also wanted to know about Kass whereabouts.

Maybe the secret is inside the game and we still don't know...XD

I figured as much. Probably for the best so they can start on the next Zelda game ASAP.

Jokes aside, I feel like if they do DLC, it might just end up being a next gen exclusive thing.

Which I wouldn't really mind as it would allow them to be even more ambitious.

TOTK is vastly superior to BOTW imo, but it wasn’t able to reach the lofty heights of its predecessor because so much of it was familiar.

I’m very happy for the team to move onto something new, keeping the open air style but exploring different gameplay innovations in a completely new world.

If true, there is something refreshing about a huge modern game where the devs look at it and go "nah, let's just move on". Of course, I would love even more, but I respect it.

I can sympathize with those who honestly thinking they were tricked, but quite honestly? I was just fine with what we got. Maybe it was because I think KT thrives better when they get to expand upon a universe in their own take on the mythos. Or maybe it was because I had gotten over a similar "hurt" ages ago when Ocarina of Time was initially advertised as telling the story of the OG Imprisoning War from LTTP, and what we got in the final version clearly wasn't that in any form! LOL
The Hyrule Warriors games shine when you don't think about their stories or any kind of lore, which is a problem for someone who's favorite elements of Zelda are the lore and stories. I can appreciate what they are, but not when they lie about what they are. BOTWs backstory was incredibly intricate and detailed and when I finished the game I found myself needing more, I craved to know more about this world, so obviously when AoC came around I was beyond hyped to have a game set in that past, a game that showed that story...only to get a game that was 1/4 the backstory of BOTW and 3/4 "chase around the silly little robot." TotK on the other hand doesn't have the same luxury as BOTW, it's backstory is barren, it's world building disjointed, and while it has some great characters, it would feel wrong to have the ones in most need to be expanded upon, the nameless faceless sages and the cameo appearance of Kotake and Koume, be expanded upon in a story that isn't trying to be a proper prequel to TotK.

So honestly I'd find the scenario where we get an improper prequel in the form of "Age of Upheaval" or whatever more disappointing than just leaving all of these lore questions and elements hanging.

None of this is to say I hate AoC, as I've come to accept it for what it is, a good but vague look at the backstory of BOTW with a non-canon story weaved into it, but I really don't want a repeat scenario, especially when TotK itself leaves so much unanswered.

On the flip side tho, it would feel very bizarre are wrong for this to be the end of this Hyrule, considering it acts a super soft reboot, and they've put so much effort into building up this worlds lore, so I pray that the wet fart of TotKs ending isn't the ending of this saga of Hyrule.

I'm mostly fine with this as I'm ready to move on to a completely brand new Zelda world/characters/etc., but the one thing I'm a bit sad to not get is some closure and more time spent between Link and Zelda. That was one of the things I wanted to see most in TOTK - them interacting and building their relationship and just having more cute little moments together, and we got basically nothing. But I can live with that, eager to see what's next!

On the flip side tho, it would feel very bizarre are wrong for this to be the end of this Hyrule, considering it acts a super soft reboot, and they've put so much effort into building up this worlds lore, so I pray that the wet fart of TotKs ending isn't the ending of this saga of Hyrule.

On one hand there's a ton of potential with this era of Hyrule, but on the other they're clearly not interested in fleshing out the world in any meaningful way.

There's a interesting tidbit of the interview deepl translation that could hint at the new hyrule founding theory.

--I know this is a regular question, but where does "Tears of the Kingdom" fit in the timeline of "The Legend of Zelda"? The "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" depicted the originator and "Breath of the Wild" depicted the end, but "Tears of the Kingdom" is a sequel to "Breath of the Wild" but also the story of the founding of Hyrule, so it could also be the originator... ..........
Fujibayashi: It is definitely a story after "Breath of the Wild". And basically, the "Legend of Zelda" series is designed to have a story and world that doesn't break down. That is all I can say at this point.

With the assumption that the story will not be broken, I think there is room for the fans to think, "So that means there are other possibilities, then? I think there is room for fans to think about various possibilities. If I am speaking only as a possibility, there is the possibility that the story of the founding of Hyrule may have a history of destruction before the founding of the Kingdom of Hyrule. I don't make things in a random way, like "wouldn't it be interesting if we did this here? So I hope you will enjoy it by imagining the parts of the story that have not yet been told.

Last edited:
Still haven't played the game despite buying it at release. Part of that is just me being me, but I guess I also hoped Master Mode would be added in the Fall/Winter as a free update or paid DLC. My one and only playthrough of BotW was in Master Mode. I wouldn't play the game any other way. I wanted to do the same with TotK, but that's that.

Well, guess I truly have no reason to put off my TotK playthrough anymore (and yet, that's exactly what I'll do, lol).

There's a interesting tidbit of the interview deepl translation that vould hint at the new hyrule founding theory.
I wouldn't consider that a hint, I would consider it them not giving the memories a defined placement.

Booooo, I wanted more Sky Islands

As much as I loved the game, it kinda bummed me out that the Great Sky Island was the only huge one

I have already written off TotK as a technically impressive, but ultimately disappointing, sequel so I'm glad to hear they are moving on. I also hope they have a team working on a 2D Zelda, could be a good avenue for trying out some new ideas as well as being an opportunity to create something a bit smaller-scale while working on the next 3D Zelda.

TotK is one of the best, most content-rich games I've ever played. Let's move on so we can get the next 3D Zelda sooner which, set in a new world on new hardware, could quite possibly send me into cardiac arrest

“The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom + Ganon’s Fury only for Switch 2.”

[Saves files don’t transfer over. No Kass.]

Good, I don't think I would be interested to continue the formula on this Hyrule world, I barely could push myself to finish TOTK. Going for something new is the best decision.

Totally fair.
The game is massive, and, being around 200 hours into it, I'm beginning to burn out lol.

Good, games that overstay their welcome don’t need DLCs. BOTW’s DLC was already one of the worst expansions for a game that I have ever played, the first one was stuff that was supposed to be there in the first place, the second was just more of the same. The new big Shrine was basically the four Divine Beasts taped together, then you had one new boss to unlock the memecycle. On top of reusing so much from BOTW, TOTK had already enough deja vu moments by itself so it doesn’t need an expansion that would essentially be more of the same, like in BOTW. Even if it was just one more dungeon on par with the main ones and some kind of quest associated with it… I’m good, the game was long enough regardless so I’m ready to move on from this version of Hyrule

Kass is obviously traveling around in Holodrum and Labrynna which we’ll visit in BotW3.
Both are already integrated in BOTW’s map (or at least referred to)

I don’t think the interview hints towards a sequel much, when they say that they feel like they exhausted that world it doesn’t scream sequel to me. TOTK’s ending has good closure, this chapter is just done

I’m ok with no DLC. Such precious time could be spent on a Switch 2 Zelda title, which they’re gonna need sooner and not later.

Though isn’t there data for gold enemies and more already in the game? I can see maybe a free master mode update or something akin to that.

Back
Top Bottom