• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Sales Week 26, 2023 (Jun. 19-25) Final Fantasy XVI Launch

Famitsu Sales: Week 26, 2023 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

SOFTWARE

01./00. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.06.22} (¥9.000) - 336.027 / NEW
02./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 25.155 / 1.697.225 (-19%)
03./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 8.066 / 5.344.544 (+8%)
04./03. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 6.166 / 3.171.606 (+7%)
05./04. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 6.156 / 1.107.323 (+11%)
06./08. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 4.901 / 5.058.457 (+12%)
07./09. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 4.597 / 4.043.435 (+7%)
08./10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.282 / 5.219.828 (-1%)
09./13. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) - 4.231 / 3.405.063 (+19%)
10./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 3.531 / 2.216.142 (-10%)

Top 10

NSW - 9
PS5 - 1

HARDWARE

FAChhBJ.jpg

FF XVI sales could've been worse (my pessimistic expectation was sub 300k). But not boosting the PS5 higher speaks volumes, especially because we've seen it pull 80k+ a couple times earlier this year.

I don't particularly like final fantasy, but I'm glad a big effort game didn't die at launch. Hope it has long legs.

Even if i would factor some ~200k sales from digital into it (which i feel would be very generous), it's still a massive decline from XV (also factoring it didn't have 0 digital sales).

Sure, you can say "It's good, because i expected worse" ... but i legit dunno if these numbers are something SQEX can be happy about.

It's even moreso in times where other "JRPG" competitors like Persona manage to grow over the previous entries and where IPs of similar age like FF just had partially massive growths following their redefining/reinvention.

crazy that switch is catching up with last year's YTD

decent launch for ff but the brand is just not as relevant in japan anymore.

Looks like Japan ran out of Series Xs. It's crazy how Xbox sales can astronomically better than they have been yet still pitiful compared to the competition.

If the Switch bump really came from "hype" of the Direct via a new 2D Mario and the Mario RPG remake ... dunno man ... i somehow can't believe that.

Japan being so mobile centric these days has me never surprised by numbers like this, even with a FF. The direct probably sold a lot, too.

What's also really interesting is how Series S sells so much higher than Series X while It's the opposite case for PS5's two versions.

Edit: Maybe a stock issue?

Sure, you can say "It's good, because i expected worse" ... but i legit dunno if these numbers are something SQEX can be happy about.
I can't imagine Sony is happy either. Part of the point of exclusivity is to lure people into buying your platform. That didn't really materialize more than any other PS5 release or holiday sales week this year.

Someone tell the Switch it’s in its seventh year, because I don’t think it’s aware with numbers like these.

Japan being so mobile centric these days has me never surprised by numbers like this, even with a FF. The direct probably sold a lot, too.

What's also really interesting is how Series S sells so much higher than Series X while It's the opposite case for PS5's two versions.

Edit: Maybe a stock issue?
Maybe Microsoft is dumping all their Series S stock into the supply chain to sell out stock so they can remove that SKU from the market when the more expensive 1TB option drops in September? A price hike, effectively.

bYBxBaS.png

Switch had a 222k year over year increase in Q2.

jdXEK0r.png

Playstation 5 had almost a 400k year over year increase in Q2.

Last edited:
Someone tell the Switch it’s in its seventh year, because I don’t think it’s aware with numbers like these.

Switch: "I'm cleaning the streets for my offspring, like a good parent does!"

I can't imagine Sony is happy either. Part of the point of exclusivity is to lure people into buying your platform. That didn't really materialize more than any other PS5 release or holiday sales week this year.

At this point, i think only a new MH game could help the console there. And seeing these software sales, maybe Capcom's price for not releasing the Xbox version in Japan got higher?

First looking at those numbers and thought "nice, that PS5 jump" only to realize that those are Switch numbers... Okay FF numbers though.

Last edited:
At this point, i think only a new MH game could help the console there. And seeing these software sales, maybe Capcom's price for not releasing the Xbox version in Japan got higher?
I'm really starting to wonder what the recruiting program for local talent looks like to 3rd parties in Japan. These are still better numbers than any of Team Asano's projects, etc. have done in the territoy on Switch. But only by like 3-4x at best case. How can you get people excited about making your biggest games when they're not even on the biggest platform?

Japanese players obviously excited for Pikmin - only reason for 9 weeks of 80,000+ consoles being sold. Definitely no other Links between the high hardware sales and potentially attractive software

I'm really starting to wonder what the recruiting program for local talent looks like to 3rd parties in Japan. These are still better numbers than any of Team Asano's projects, etc. have done in the territoy on Switch. But only by like 3-4x at best case. How can you get people excited about making your biggest games when they're not even on the biggest platform?

Dunno how it's going to be for new development talent. I think japanese thirds need to finally understand that this "Either the west or Asia/Japan" strategy is futile.

Capcom does it best (aside of Nintendo), they understood that you should target "worldwide" instead of artificially limiting yourself by a skewed strategy.

Outside of the FF number, its funny seeing that Switch sports cross a million+ and Ring Fit is almost at 3.5 million, physical alone lol.

Outside of the FF number, its funny seeing that Switch sports cross a million+ and Ring Fit is almost at 3.5 million, physical alone lol.

Imagine ReDraketed launches with a Ring Fit Adventure sequel (and you can reuse the Switch 1 Ring Controller) on top of a 3D Mario?

This is a legitimate question: Do we think Square Enix looks at this data and STILL decides not to target a Nintendo platform for the launch of FFXVII?
Absolutely. Sony will pay through the nose for (at least timed) exclusivity still.

FFXVI becoming the best selling physical PS5 game ever in Japan, as expected.
The next big game for the console will be Armored Core. I wonder if it will surpass these numbers, probably not.

Great numbers for the Switch too, it got a boost thanks to the Nintendo Direct I presume. Japan is thirsty for a new 2D Mario. +300K for Pikmin 4 is a possibility, that would be great for the series.

This is a legitimate question: Do we think Square Enix looks at this data and STILL decides not to target a Nintendo platform for the launch of FFXVII?
Exclusivity can be bought and S-E have shown they are willing to get paid. So yes.

They might split the franchise. One entry as a high budget PS exclusive, another as a low budget traditional one, alternating releases. There's a massive global demand for traditional JRPG's and Square would bank even more money if they bring the Final Fantasy brand to Asano factory.

I mean I wouldn't want SE to limit their ambition on the series to have the games have to work on 10+ year old hardware. The series obviously doesn't have the mass appeal it used to but I'm glad they're trying different approaches as opposed to sticking to a formula. They're crazy with their expectations sometimes but I'm sure they're happy enough with how much Sony pays/markets them. And it's not like Switch is in dire need for more RPGs anyways.

I can't believe it actually happened.
Thank you for putting the thought out into the ether, it’s so funny.

FF declined but it’s not disastrous. Still very solid, especially with the PS5 being what it is in Japan. Maybe disappointing if the goal was to grow the brand, however.

I mean I wouldn't want SE to limit their ambition on the series to have the games have to work on 10+ year old hardware. The series obviously doesn't have the mass appeal it used to but I'm glad they're trying different approaches as opposed to sticking to a formula. They're crazy with their expectations sometimes but I'm sure they're happy enough with how much Sony pays/markets them. And it's not like Switch is in dire need for more RPGs anyways.
Making a massive AAA beautiful graphics game isn't the only way to be ambitious. Maybe focusing on actual world design, gameplay loop, and mechanics over shallow design and graphical flare is what the series needs?

All we have to go on with this series is the prettier it gets and the more massive it's budget gets, the more shallow and narrow the game becomes overall.

Final Fantasy XVII can be ambitious by taking notes from how the Xenoblade series is built rather than taking notes from The Last of Us and GoW 2017.

Making a massive AAA beautiful graphics game isn't the only way to be ambitious. Maybe focusing on actual world design, gameplay loop, and mechanics over shallow design and graphical flare is what the series needs?

All we have to go on with this series is the prettier it gets and the more massive it's budget gets, the more shallow and narrow the game becomes overall.

Final Fantasy XVII can be ambitious by taking notes from how the Xenoblade series is built rather than taking notes from The Last of Us and GoW 2017.
I mean that's implying 16 doesn't have that, which it does. Doesn't mean that everyone is going to like their approach. Just because it's different from past FF games and the Xenoblade series, it doesn't make it bad. Especially when the reception to 16 has been better than most FF in recent years and pretty much on par with Xenoblade in general.

Only one of their teams have that high end ambition. Square has other talented JRPG teams and their future strategy on the franchise might involve giving it to other teams. Team Asano or Mana developer Xeen for instance. Final Fantasy has a few dormant sub series, like Crystal Chronicles, this might be to perfect time to resurrect them as the interest in the IP seems to be waning slowly.

No one can predict the Switch. Probably even Nintendo is surprised how it well it still sells.

I mean that's implying 16 doesn't have that, which it does. Doesn't mean that everyone is going to like their approach. Just because it's different from past FF games and the Xenoblade series, it doesn't make it bad. Especially when the reception to 16 has been better than most FF in recent years and pretty much on par with Xenoblade in general.
I mean the last main ff game released 7 years ago lol so that feels more like a technicality

Back
Top Bottom