• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Sales Week 22, 2023 (May. 22-28)

Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2023 (May 22 - May 28)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 148.482 / 1.515.673 (-40%)
02./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 8.373 / 5.310.115 (+1%)
03./00. [NSW] Bustafellows Season 2 # <ADV> (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting eXtend) {2023.05.25} (¥6.800) - 7.514 / NEW
04./03. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 6.385 / 2.196.076 (-15%)
05./05. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 5.368 / 3.146.828 (-3%)
06./04. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 5.042 / 5.039.337 (-10%)
07./07. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.978 / 5.200.365 (+6%)
08./08. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 4.804 / 4.024.155 (+3%)
09./06. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 4.492 / 436.641 (-16%)
10./10. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 3.389 / 1.084.836 (-1%)

Top 10

NSW - 10

HARDWARE

c5X673M.jpg

Oh, an otome game at the 3rd spot! I hear that Bustafellows is not like other soft otomes like Otomate makes. Maybe I should try it sometime.

Also big games like TotK can very much revitalize hardware sales in Switch's 7th year. This is a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to introduce new SKU's, like new colors or Switch Lite OLED. Double those numbers!

It's really interesting on how just a single game, can singlehandedly turn sluggish sales, and then revitalize an entire console.

And not only is the console better, but that single game boosted sales for every other game too.

I had assumed Switch sales would be very meek. But honestly, with one more big hit. I think we have a chance at reaching the PS2 sales wise.

Pikmin also does fairly well in Japan so the summer is looking good for Switch. Fall is where things could fall off if Nintendo doesn't have the right software ready.

It's really interesting on how just a single game, can singlehandedly turn sluggish sales, and then revitalize an entire console.

And not only is the console better, but that single game boosted sales for every other game too.

I had assumed Switch sales would be very meek. But honestly, with one more big hit. I think we have a chance at reaching the PS2 sales wise.
Zelda doing what Pokemon could

I’m beating the drum till it happens. Switch will in the end be the greatest selling console of all time.

I’m beating the drum till it happens. Switch will in the end be the greatest selling console of all time.
If they meet their current FY 15 M target, by March 2024 they would be 15 M short of the 155M they need to reach the PS2. I totally see a scenario where the switch is kept as a budget device for several years that allows them to leg it out to 150M at a minimum.

However, if the new switch is too good of a deal, like an amazing launch-year catalog, acceptable specs for the current gen, and nice price ($400-ish) then I can see Switch 2's sales cannibalizing the OG switch quickly.

The only unknown factor is how much the OLED will factor in these situations, given that nowadays it is the highest selling model by far. You could claim many of those who get OLEDs are existing customers, who might be persuaded into getting the switch 2 instead (assuming BC and seamless profile transfer is a thing).

If they meet their current FY 15 M target, by March 2024 they would be 15 M short of the 155M they need to reach the PS2. I totally see a scenario where the switch is kept as a budget device for several years that allows them to leg it out to 150M at a minimum.

However, if the new switch is too good of a deal, like an amazing launch-year catalog, acceptable specs for the current gen, and nice price ($400-ish) then I can see Switch 2's sales cannibalizing the OG switch quickly.

The only unknown factor is how much the OLED will factor in these situations, given that nowadays it is the highest selling model by far. You could claim many of those who get OLEDs are existing customers, who might be persuaded into getting the switch 2 instead (assuming BC and seamless profile transfer is a thing).
My feeling is we aren’t getting a switch 2 anytime soon. Should leave more than enough time to catch ps2

Team Last Gen (Switch and PS4) continues to dominate Team Current Gen (PS5 and Xbox Series)

chris-jericho-christian.gif

My feeling is we aren’t getting a switch 2 anytime soon. Should leave more than enough time to catch ps2

I would never had bet on these kind of numbers either.
The PS2 was a perfect storm, a mass market DVD player, that also played games. All while the rivals, like Sega and Nintendo, were trending down in console sales gen by gen. Meanwhile the Switch has no utility besides being a games platform, and with internals similar to what most already have in their phones. I was worried it would be DoA. Goes to show I should never be an industry analyst.

PS5 continues to amaze with its sales. Is it the strong brand? Because the games aren't really there for the Japanese audience.

I would never had bet on these kind of numbers either.
The PS2 was a perfect storm, a mass market DVD player, that also played games. All while the rivals, like Sega and Nintendo, were trending down in console sales gen by gen. Meanwhile the Switch has no utility besides being a games platform, and with internals similar to what most already have in their phones. I was worried it would be DoA. Goes to show I should never be an industry analyst.
I also like that switch is doing these numbers without some non gaming gimmick to garner sales. On being a pure console, switch has already taken the number one spot 😁

Strong backward compatibility along with the older PS4s starting to slow down probably helps.
the problem is that implies people are not buying new games though. not even used sales are justifying the lack of new game sales.

this is a perfect storm of everything going wrong for playstation in japan sans the hardware selling

the problem is that implies people are not buying new games though. not even used sales are justifying the lack of new game sales.

this is a perfect storm of everything going wrong for playstation in japan sans the hardware selling
That’s mostly the case for me lol. I barely buy any games for my PS5. For higher end stuff I go with Xbox, unless my PC/Steam Deck can handle it, or there’s a Switch version. The PS5 is mainly for exclusives, and we all know how that’s going.

There's a lot less AAA releases in general these days (although the last couple months has been lit on all platforms) and the games are becoming larger, so it's really the perfect storm for Switch. One exclusive release like this really can move a serious amount of consoles and the synergy between TOTK and the TOTK OLED panned out big time. Let's just hope Nintendo has ample supply.

Back
Top Bottom