• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 14, 2024 (Apr. 1-7)

I'd be very curious to know how well any remotes designed for consoles sell. Myself aside, I've never met another soul who used anything but the controller for playback on consoles.
Personally, I did get the PS3 remote as that console did become my Blu-ray player and still is.

I wasn’t doubting its ability. I was doubting its popularity and using it as a metric for how popular DVD playback was.
I was just using a personal anecdote. It's not a statistical analysis. My larger point is if the remote was seen as more important than it apparently was, Sony would have spoken up during certification testing.

I think it's just time and place working out for the worst for SE here. Low playbase for PS5 as well as the high price and current inflation is just making this the kind of game that isn't selling at the pace its predecessor was.

The game has plenty of quality, but well, games like Rebirth just isn't enough to get people to splurge on a system as expensive as PS5, or it's just not high priority enough to grab attention from other games like Spiderman, which has held it's cultural staying power more than FF7 did.

Did not know this. Very interesting.
Why is switch profit so high while ps2 so low?
Cost going into creating the consoles?
The Nintendo Switch was sold at a high profit margin right off the bat thanks to the unsold stock of Nvidia Tegra X1 with zero official price cuts from Nintendo, while the PS2 was sold at a low profit margin and received five official price cuts from Sony.

$299 (2000-2001) - 28.7 million units
$199 (2002) - 22.5 million units
$179 (2003) - 20.1 million units
$149 (2004-2005) - 32 million units
$129 (2006-2008) - 36 million units
$99 (2009-2012) - 21 million units

Most of the PS2 units were sold at discounted prices, and combined with rampant software piracy and a low profit margin for 3rd-party software sales (platform cuts), it was a recipe for a low-profit console generation.

6lNmVEg.jpeg

I think it's just time and place working out for the worst for SE here. Low playbase for PS5 as well as the high price and current inflation is just making this the kind of game that isn't selling at the pace its predecessor was.

The game has plenty of quality, but well, games like Rebirth just isn't enough to get people to splurge on a system as expensive as PS5, or it's just not high priority enough to grab attention from other games like Spiderman, which has held it's cultural staying power more than FF7 did.
I don’t even think it is even the low player base that is the issue but that they don’t really buy software. Like the PS5 in Japan makes the WiiU/Vita look like world beaters in comparison.

The issues w/FF have been long in the making & the PS5’s bad performance in JP has only really exacerbated the issues.

I don’t even think it is even the low player base that is the issue but that they don’t really buy software. Like the PS5 in Japan makes the WiiU/Vita look like world beaters in comparison.

The issues w/FF have been long in the making & the PS5’s bad performance in JP has only really exacerbated the issues.
The Ps5 from what I’ve heard is mostly used for Apex and couple of free to play games like genshin impact, like the Ps5 has actually sold more in Japan compared to the ps4, but the software sales is the main problem.

The Ps5 from what I’ve heard is mostly used for Apex and couple of free to play games like genshin impact, like the Ps5 has actually sold more in Japan compared to the ps4, but the software sales is the main problem.
that's just baffling who buys a 600 dollar console to play f2p games only

This isn't really the smoking gun it looks like ... insiders usually have an interest in not making sales for games sound awful (Mat Piscatella for example won't even comment on game sales if they might start a flame war or appear negative, lol). With the information Ahmad provided, about 50% of Remakes sales in the same time period is not great ... that's around 2 million and probably pretty close to the budget the game cost to make in gross revenue. Don't think you can really consider it a flop because it could have made some money by now especially if "about half" is rounding down significantly and also when you consider special editions, and awful might be exaggerative, it's definitely not good though...

Last edited:
Pretty much, though I don’t think it really matters since it is a combination of a lot of things. At the end of the day they don’t buy software which has put quite a companies in a rough spot

Back
Top Bottom