• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion FamiOnline - A 3DS & WiiU Farewell

Subrosian Link

#TeamJanuary
Pronouns
He/Him
April 8, 2024, 5pm UCT. The ink has dried and the date advances without mercy. In less than a month, the official 3DS and WiiU servers will be shut down forever, and with them many games will become impossible to experience as they were intended unless players mod their consoles – and with this, the already scarce base of available players will be even more reduced. Tri Force Heroes, Xenoblade X, Smash, Monster Hunter, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker or Metroid Federation Force are just some examples of the huge list of games that were concieved as a multiplayer-first experience and that are going to be seriously injured by the shutdown.

For quite some time now, I've wanted to play Tri Force Heroes - along with Four Swords Adventures, it's the only Zelda I have left to play, and I really, really wanted to play it in multiplayer, the intended way, but I just only grabbed a 3DS last year and the time has finally come. So, with the idea of having a TFH thread floating through my head lately, a couple days ago I just thought "wait, what if I just set up a global Fami hub for a final farewell for all the online games that are leaving"?

The idea for this thread is incredibly easy: let's use it as a way to organize multiplayer play sessions. Let's give these two incredible systems the farewell they deserve. Let's connect Fami together for a month-long event that, unfortunately, will not be repeated. Also, I think that a serious commitment shall not be required - at the end of the day, real life, beyond video games, still exists, and what should be an enjoyable experience should not be weighed down by the pressure of having committed to play a game on a random Thursday afternoon with a group of strangers. I think the approach should be simpler, more free. The rules, therefore, are as follows:

RULE ONE
If you are interested (remember, no pressure!) in playing a game, please indicate: (a) the game(s) in question; (b) your level of experience (in case it is of interest to some people to group by level); (c) your time availability to play, ideally in UTC time (just to have a certain indicative level so that people can keep an eye; you can update it without problem if it changes). With this information, I will make a list of interested players and levels for each game, in this same post, hidden with spoilers.

RULE TWO
When you are available to play a game, stop by this thread and post it, so other players can connect then too. This way, with a simple glance we can see if there are more people active and we won't have to spend endless hours in the lobby.

RULE THREE
Some games require friend codes; others keep it optional. If you want to indicate your code, you can do so without problem, but if, for some reason, you want to keep it relatively private, you can send me your code and, in case there are more people who want to play, they can write to me by DM and I will tell them. In case there is someone who chooses this route, I would only ask for a little patience since, for obvious reasons, I will not be able to be constantly connected.

I think that's all! If someone thinks there's a better way to organize, I'm incredibly open to feedback. With all that, let's just jump to the

GENERAL LIST
Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS)
1. Subrosian Link || Beginner || Availability: (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun), from 4pm to 7pm || Friend code: DM.
2. Iron Ted || ¿? || Availability: ¿? || Friend code: Ask here.
3. Spider101 || ¿? || Availability: ¿? || Friend code: Ask here.

Tri Force Heroes (3DS)
1. Subrosian Link || Beginner || Availability: (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun), from 4pm to 7pm || Friend code: DM.
2. Sheldon || ¿? || Availability: ¿? || Friend code: Ask here.
3. Shoptroll || ¿? || Availability: ¿? || Friend code: Ask here.
4. Shadow || ¿? || Avaliability: ¿? || Friend code: Ask here.

Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
1. Zumaddy || ¿? || Availability: ¿? || Friend code: Ask here.

Last edited:
I appreciate the idea and am sort of interested but also struggle to fully commit to playing games regularly online. What I have found is trying to find players for dying games like this can often be more easily done on specific Discords for it - I'm fairly sure there's a 3DS or maybe Zelda Discord at least that's trying to help get people together to play games like Tri-Force Heroes, not sure where it is though. I feel like a discussion board is just not well suited for regular sessions.

I will play Tri Force Heroes with you, OP. Even if no one else wants to, we'll make it happen at least once, I swear it on my beautiful princess gown.

I'd be up for Tri Force Heroes as well, although my schedule is flaky this month.

Also Pretendo seems to be coming along quite well, so hope is not lost come April!

I love Tri Force Heroes. I don't think I have the availability in my schedule to join up unfortunately but I just wanted to say the efforts you are going to to play the game are well worth getting to experience it. It's really under-appreciated and just the whole joyful delight of it is a cherished gaming memory for me. I can see @Sheldon knows exactly what I mean, and his avatar would tell you to Be Prepared because it's also a surprisingly challenging 2D Zelda at times. Especially in an era where Zelda and challenging were seen as asynchronous concepts.

Anyway, I very much look forward to reading your experiences @Subrosian Link and I thank you for this wonderful thread.

The only other 3DS game I put meaningful time into online was Kid Icarus: Uprising. I don't even like PVP in general but that game is so stupendous I really enjoyed the online MP.

The only other 3DS game I put meaningful time into online was Kid Icarus: Uprising. I don't even like PVP in general but that game is so stupendous I really enjoyed the online MP.
I would also be down to play Kid Icarus PVP if anyone would be interested!

Still standing by that open committment to a Tri Force Heroes co-op cosplay session.

And on the topic of Kid Icarus: Uprising, I just checked the state of my save file. Turns out I had already taken care of all multiplayer achievements on the challenge wall. Only open question is whether the two powers I'm missing for a complete set are online only or can be farmed in local mode versus bots.

Oh, completely missed this thread earlier. But if anyone from Europe would be up for some Triforce Heroes, let me know!

Was looking for a thread like this. Only about a week left but if anyone wants to play Federation Force, I'm here for it.

Thanks for all those caring about me! I've actually managed to match some people in Tri Force Heroes (although admitedly forcing myself to wait sometimes more than an hour), so I'm not really in need - but I'll admit that it has far exceeded my expectations; really, really liked it! Anyway, the actual purpose of the thread was to inspire a common farewell to the systems, so let's give it one last chance in this final week!

I've also updated the OP for those of you who have expressed interest in playing, for those who want to take a look!

Back
Top Bottom