• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Famibody Votes Channel | June 25th, 2023 | How do you pronounce "GIF"?

How do you pronounce "GIF"?

• soft g (like "giant")

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • hard g (like "gift")

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
Cue the music! It's time for...

kaOZ5mV.png

Every Sunday, I will post a question in the style of Everybody Votes Channel. It won’t always be at the same time I’m sure, though the vote will always be open for 5 days. The results will be posted in the following week’s question with a nice pie graph! Let's get to it Famibody:

7naaF05.png

I pronounce it wrong according to the creator but I’m too lazy to change my behavior.

It’s the only one I won’t go out of my way to correct. For example, I pronounce Adidas correctly then I’m summarily booed out of the room (in North America) so… 🤷‍♀️

Love the concept of this thread series! Looking forward to future iterations of this concept.

As for this week...hard g. I know Steve Wilhite, the engineering lead on the GIF project, said it's pronounced with a soft g, but I can't go back on how I say it.

incidentally, I think this was one of my worst threads on my old era account

Hard G, I suspect subconsciously so it didn’t sound like the (now defunct) brand of kitchen cleaner here, ‘Jif’. (that’s now called ‘Cif).

incidentally, I think this was one of my worst threads on my old era account

I'm gonna start calling you Nike instead of Nick.

huh? but that would be going against how I say it's pronounced, like saying gif with a hard g
Your own thread says the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA pronounces it with a hard G.

That settles the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Animated JIFs are okay as long as they're like the one I posted above.

Back
Top Bottom