• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion Fami! What's your favorite christmas movie?

Mbolibombo

Tingle
Pronouns
He/him
There's always a few movies that's going to be watched during the holiday period but there's one specifically that's really been able to grab the entire family and has been a mainstay for the last few years since it released.

It raised the bar for every christmas movie going forward - Klaus!

Truly delightful movie.

Gremlins, Jingle all the Way, Die Hard and It’s a Wonderful Life are my favourites.

tumblr_n2z307waVX1rofnkmo1_1280.jpg

0.jpg

Gonna be a lot more generic and say Elf, Santa Clause is Coming to Town (which I feel like aged way better than other Rankin Bass movies and is genuinely entertaining?), and A Christmas Story, even if I haven't seen the latter in years.

I also really liked Polar Express as a kid, though no idea if I'd still like it nowadays

The usual picks are all great. Home Alone 1 and 2, Jingle All the Way, Elf. I fell in love with The Holdovers this holiday season (to where I watched it more than once), so I'm giving that a shout. Wonderful movie, check it out if you can.

Watching Gremlins right now! Love that funny fluffy Gizmo. HATE that awful creep Stripe, hope he gets what's coming to him

Not really a classic christmas movie I guess but we always watch The Last Unicorn for christmas :D

I like (the original) The Grinch and Christmas Vacation best, I think. Just watched the latter last night. Clark’s deteriorating season greeting to the line of suits always makes me laugh. “Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass, kiss his ass, kiss their ass…”

Wonderful movie, check it out if you can.
This was the other movie playing where I saw The Boy and the Heron and I considered going to see it right after! I decided to make the long walk to a barcade instead, which has horrendously packed. Shoulda seen the movie Jerry.

Watching Gremlins right now! Love that funny fluffy Gizmo. HATE that awful creep Stripe, hope he gets what's coming to him
I love Gremlins! I even had the GBA game, Stripe vs. Gizmo. If I remember correctly, child me stole it from a Rite Aid. Ended up being one of the better licensed games I played!

This was the other movie playing where I saw The Boy and the Heron and I considered going to see it right after! I decided to make the long walk to a barcade instead, which has horrendously packed. Shoulda seen the movie Jerry.
The Bloke and the Heron was alright innit? I watched it subbed. Kinda feel like rewatching it dubbed! Maybe I'd be able to wrap my head around it a little better this time around.

You indeed should've seen The Holdovers, mate. I think you would've liked it. Pretty sure it'll be on streaming services soon enough!

I went and saw Wonka last night. It was okay. Just okay! Very comfy and uplifting. When I told my mom about it, she said she was glad it had no relation to the weirdo Johnny Depp portrayal. 🤣

I love Gremlins! I even had the GBA game, Stripe vs. Gizmo. If I remember correctly, child me stole it from a Rite Aid. Ended up being one of the better licensed games I played!

I wanna say that this is the funniest game someone could possibly steal, and the fact that it was from a Rite Aid makes it even funnier

I wanna say that this is the funniest game someone could possibly steal, and the fact that it was from a Rite Aid makes it even funnier
Yeah, I did a bit of stealing as a kid (up until the age of about 10). I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed of it, either! I've made peace with it, so I just look back and reminisce sometimes. I don't know, I was just a dumb kid in the habit of taking what he could / wanted from stores, I guess. GBA games were especially easy, since I could just open the box and put the cartridge in my pocket.

Wanna know another epic Rite Aid game I lifted? Cubix: Robots for Everyone: Race 'n Robots! This tune is a nostalgic banger for me. I wish I was joking. Rite Aid may not have had Mario, but they still had some gems.

My all-time favorite is Muppets Christmas Carol

Other favorites include White Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Muppet Family Christmas

I just watched Klaus for the first time this weekend and it was incredible.

The Bloke and the Heron was alright innit? I watched it subbed. Kinda feel like rewatching it dubbed! Maybe I'd be able to wrap my head around it a little better this time around.

You indeed should've seen The Holdovers, mate. I think you would've liked it. Pretty sure it'll be on streaming services soon enough!

I went and saw Wonka last night. It was okay. Just okay! Very comfy and uplifting. When I told my mom about it, she said she was glad it had no relation to the weirdo Johnny Depp portrayal. 🤣
I would like to see Heron again at some point and unpack a little more, yeah. It was a complex film and also I was a couple beers and tequilas deep by the end 😂

I like Chalamet, I could see it being an alright time. Whether I see it or not, the interviews him and Hugh Grant have been doing are great. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone give less of a shit about doing press than Hugh lol, it’s magic.

(On top of all the other fucked up decisions in that Burton Wonka: why is he green?)

My wife just found this old holiday VHS she watched as a kid and I changed my mind, this is now my favourite Christmas movie:

Tokyo Godfathers, The Shop Around the Corner, A Christmas Story, A Charlie Brown Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life.

The Holdovers was terrific. Might get added to the list!

The OG Chuck Jones/Seuss Grinch might be my favorite. It has a song sung by someone with the greatest name any human being has ever had, Thurl Ravenscroft, which means that you should definitely try watching it.

Other favorites include Muppet Christmas Carol and Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas. I also watch Santa Claus Conquers The Martians every few years because I like trash

Basic white male here to answer Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. My wife and I usually watch The Santa Clause, which is a guilty pleasure moreso than a genuine favorite.

I also watch an episode of Power Rangers called "The Robo Knight Before Christmas" because the Netflix app on PS3 recommended it to me a decade ago, and it's the darndest thing.

I haven't heard of Rahxephon so I don't really know but it's from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz.

Gundam inspired a ton of other shows... like, inspired a wholeass genre, so maybe? 😅
Nah it's not gundam I was talking about. Didn't realize they had Gundams with almost the same design as Rahxephon tho.

home alone 2, specifically - because it fills me with nostalgia as it's one of the reasons why as a kid i always wanted to move to NYC.

national lampoon's christmas vacation - truly a classic. fun to watch with my dad.

polar express - nostalgia again. we used to dress up in pajamas the friday before christmas break in elementary school and watch this in class and drink hot cocoa!

a christmas carol, but the animated disney one - i just think it's really beautiful despite the human animations being a lil uncanny valley sometimes.

eyes wide shut - my off kilter answer to a not christmas movie christmas movie.

polar express - nostalgia again. we used to dress up in pajamas the friday before christmas break in elementary school and watch this in class and drink hot cocoa!
I work at an elementary school and you just made me feel old as shit with this post. We do that every year!

Merry Christmas, ya (young) filthy animal!

Christmas Story is my Mom's fav, Christmas Vacation is my Dad's. We'd watch them every year together.

Not a movie, but I always try to squeeze in the two Simpsons episodes, "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" and, my personal fav, "Marge Be Not Proud." The latter in particular is such a sweet episode, it's easily a top 10 ep.

Muppet Christmas Carol. Which is easily the best version of A Christmas Carol overall.

Tokyo Godfathers is untouchable. One of my favourite movies in general.

I watched the first two Home Alone movies a ton as a kid so I have a big soft spot for them as well.

I usually watch a bunch of the Cartoon Network Christmas specials. Scrooged is a good one too! My roommate suggests Night of the Meek from The Twilight Zone, which though I don't watch EVERY year, still counts.
Oh, they're mostly episodes, so Scrooged is my default.

RahXephon is pretty solid! Feels like it was made for people who wanted Evangelion to be more generally comprehensible.
I know this is off topic, but I find this really funny because depending on the person what show is more unhinged completely changes. I've seen so many answers saying that Rahxephon is like Eva if "Anno didn't go crazy", usually followed by some insults towards that series, while I've seen other people say stuff akin to Rahxephon is like if Eva was completely nonsensical. It's funny because I sort of see both sides of it, since Rahxephon's base appeal is undoubtedly less depressive and more relatable for the average self-insert main character, but I actually think the story and influences behind it are even weirder. Like, the story legit just makes no sense to the point where its better to just enjoy it on a purely metaphorical and thematic level.

Anyways yeah Rahxephon good, people should watch it.

Having wine and eating cheese and watching Muppets Christmas Carol and we got to the scene with Scrooge and his grave and like

What if it was like Beavis and Butthead and his epitaph said "He never scored"

And that got me thinking, what if I started a business called Gamer Graves, where you can choose your name and pronouns but no matter what the epitaph is "never scored"

That bunny Muppet is so funny I wanna give him a hug

I know this is off topic, but I find this really funny because depending on the person what show is more unhinged completely changes. I've seen so many answers saying that Rahxephon is like Eva if "Anno didn't go crazy", usually followed by some insults towards that series, while I've seen other people say stuff akin to Rahxephon is like if Eva was completely nonsensical. It's funny because I sort of see both sides of it, since Rahxephon's base appeal is undoubtedly less depressive and more relatable for the average self-insert main character, but I actually think the story and influences behind it are even weirder. Like, the story legit just makes no sense to the point where its better to just enjoy it on a purely metaphorical and thematic level.

Anyways yeah Rahxephon good, people should watch it.
I think the dramatic beats in RahXephon are far more classical, while Evangelion is often tragic and deeply unfair toward its characters and eschews the traditional ideas of character payoff. That is also part of what’s special about it, of course.

RahXephon is very weird around the periphery, but the character beats and arcs feel less unsettling.

It's a Wonderful Life is still my favorite. Despite being pretty long and having some parts that feel quite dated (I mean it is from 1947), it's pretty much impossible for me to watch through to the end and not tear up. When everyone starts singing Auld Lang Syne... it gets me every time.

It's a Wonderful Life is still my favorite. Despite being pretty long and having some parts that feel quite dated (I mean it is from 1947), it's pretty much impossible for me to watch through to the end and not tear up. When everyone starts singing Auld Lang Syne... it gets me every time.
Unimpeachable classic!

Tokyo Godfathers continues to climb further and further up my personal list. How many other movies can make me misty-eyed before the opening credits hit?

Back
Top Bottom