• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News F-Zero 99 announced for Nintendo Switch (out now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best games in the series are all available on NSO and just as good as they were when they first game out. We also now have an awesome new multiplayer game.
Seriously, people overhype GX way too much these days, I always hatted how heavy the ships felt there.
It's the best looking game in the series but I displike the chracter redesigns and the Soundtrack.
My favourite is X.

A GX Reamke would be cool, but I#d rather have a whole new game tbh.

Honestly, if you want a GX remaster to do well, it makes more sense to save it for the first year of Switch 2, where they can really show off with the graphics and people are more willing to buy random games to fill out their library.

Assuming this was leaked so people who were hoping for Fzero knew ahead of time cause otherwise, sorry fzero fans but this is hilarious.

The game itself looks fun, people were speculating an Fzero 99 for a long time so I'm glad to see it's actually happening.
Nothing to apologize for... I'm the biggest Fzero fan around and the original is my favourite one.

Dream announcement for any true Fzero fan :p

Honestly, if you want a GX remaster to do well, it makes more sense to save it for the first year of Switch 2, where they can really show off with the graphics and people are more willing to buy random games to fill out their library.
this is a good point. it'd do very well as a launch title, especially if a new mario kart or upgrade to 8 isn't there

Tetris 99 is still up and games queue fast

you can also play GX right now in HD (for legal reasons I ask that you not do so illegally though)
You can’t play Mario 35 and soon Pac-man 99. The cost of playing GX in HD officially is a lot more than what could be a 30$ port. In the best world they would release both.

This may be the first 99 game i actively play over the course of it being available instead playing once or twice and dropping it.

Maybe GX with online also need more time to do than other GC, I mean none of the others will have an online mode

Seriously, people overhype GX way too much these days, I always hatted how heavy the ships felt there.
It's the best looking game in the series but I displike the chracter redesigns and the Soundtrack.
My favourite is X.

A GX Reamke would be cool, but I#d rather have a whole new game tbh.
GX is still great don't get me wrong, but you can also play it right now. This multiplayer game is way more exciting.

out now
Available in Japan now

And NA

Honest question for people who are disappointing: why?

• Nintendo is not going to invest AAA (or even AA) budget on F-Zero, a smaller-scale release is a good way to test the water;
  • The 99 formula is a good fit for F-Zero core gameplay;
  • The game brings something new to F-Zero in a way that F-Zero GX HD wouldn't;
  • The Mode 7 graphic is iconic (but note that obviously we don't have Mode 7 gameplay, everything will be smoother here).

I'm not a F-Zero fan (though I enjoyed playing the first game and X every now and then), and I though this was a very good announcement.

Honestly SNES era mode7 triggers some happy neurons in my brain so this game's aesthetics are just amazing to me.

I was hoping for something more akin to F-Zero X's Death Race mode for an F-Zero 99. Being in the SNES style means the courses are flat which is a shame but at the same time I'm happy after 19 years they're at least doing something with F-Zero and I'm sure I'll have a great time with this

This technically counts as another HD-2D game in a Direct that had quite a few of them :p

F-Zero 99 is NST.
Mario_Kart_8_Deluxe_-_Booster_Course_Pass_2023-09-14_16-33-02.png

That they took the absolute most frustrating element of the original F-Zero, the random cars that appear in front of you and get in your way with unpredictable movements, and went "what if we made an entire game about that?", is comedy gold to me.
This is exactly where I stand. I love the original F-Zero. Most of the other kids around me didn't enjoy it as much as I did. It's frustrating as fuck.

I feel like this is a game which most people will play two, maybe three rounds and walk away in frustration. Feels like a terrible way of testing the waters. I honestly think releasing a straight-up HD remaster of GX would do better to the IP than this. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

Did the tutorial and played an online match. I'm enjoying it and seems to have a good amount of content/unlockables.
But i feel like Ninty should've pulled a Metroid Prime 4/Metroid Samus Returns announcement by releasing this and announcing a new F-Zero or F-Zero GX remaster at the same time - it's a cool little thing but the negative reaction is from it not being THE thing they want

I know some are angry, but it is so wholesome to see captain Falcon’s creator/artist be overjoyed.

I can't believe the Switch actually got a new F-Zero. Absolute miracle console.

Anyway, a few races in and my verdict is, it's fun. Now if this can actually keep a playerbase, maybe we'll see NST become the home for F-Zero going forward.

I sincerely hope they go wild with goofy re-skins for the cars.

Seems promising so far, hopefully people won't be turned off by the somewhat long tutorial.

At least we’ll find out if there’re more than 99 fans of f-zero in the world.

If a franchise has been dead for 20 or so years, you have to start again from somewhere and honestly this is probably the best and most cost-effective option they had to see if there's an audience for futuristic racers in 2023.
I don't feel like a flat racer that can be played on an SNES controller informs much about the potential audience for a modern futuristic racer.

Even though I wanted a GX remaster I'm not hating on this.

This is pretty fun. Simple tutorial, clean visuals, handles nicely. Played some rounds and I can see this being addicting. Also - it's free.

Would it have been nice if it wasn't the only F-Zero title this year? Of course. But I don't consider this a crushing disappointment.

Okay, after a couple races, I actually think I prefer this over a GX remaster lol. This is very fun.

I sincerely hope they go wild with goofy re-skins for the cars.

Seems promising so far, hopefully people won't be turned off by the somewhat long tutorial.
Same, I hope they follow the Tetris 99 model and include some event limited skins.

I have to live vicariously in this thread for the next several hours until I get home.

The mass starts of these races are bonkers. Once everyone funnels onto the track, all hell breaks loose.

I mean, it may have SNES graphics but at least it's gotta be better than the SNES game

Maybe I'll have better luck playing this than I do Tetris 99. If anything I'll just consider this game a win so long as it doesn't get shut down after a year.

So all non-limited 99 games have had affable themes and music, so this one should be no different.
So I wonder what F-Zero's content updates will be, perhaps GP2, Climax and GP Legend content? For vehicles, tracks and music of course. Seems the obvious place to pull from since they all use the same core mechanics.

I...think I thought of a F-Zero 99 idea over the past few years as well, so hell yeah I'm gonna play it tonight!

Played a few rounds, it's really good. I missed the 99 games, especially since Pac-Man was meh.

Even though I wanted a GX remaster I'm not hating on this.

This is pretty fun. Simple tutorial, clean visuals, handles nicely. Played some rounds and I can see this being addicting. Also - it's free.

Would it have been nice if it wasn't the only F-Zero title this year? Of course. But I don't consider this a crushing disappointment.

Yup this is where I'm at.

The constant stream of extra modes and grand prixes and events make me feel like this is going to be better supported than Pac man.

I'm having fun not trying to win, just finish the race and spin some people out with the spin move, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom