• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Existence of one game affecting the reception of another

For me it was BOTW and all the games that followed. Ocean horn 2, immortals, and all of the other ones that followed that same script. They just seemed like knock-off’s to me.

Chrono Cross would have had a much more favorable legacy if it wasn’t connected to Chrono Trigger (specifically if it didn’t have Dalton kill off the CT cast). Conversely, Chrono Trigger was better before the DS port added in stronger ties to Chrono Cross.

Last edited:
IMO, Chrono Cross would have had a much more favorable legacy if it wasn’t connected to Chrono Trigger. Conversely, Chrono Trigger was better before the DS port added in stronger ties to Chrono Cross.
I was gonna post something but it's this for me too actually. I love Chrono Cross but it would have worked better for me as a standalone product.

Alien³ didn't seem that bad in retrospect once Alien Resurrection came out.

Oh, video games. Uh, Bayonetta 2 was great, but IMO it fell short in some areas compared to the original, which made me appreciate the original even more. So much that 1 might now be my favorite stylish action game (a spot previously reserved for Devil May Cry 3).

Alien³ didn't seem that bad in retrospect once Alien Resurrection came out.
Call me a person with bad taste, but i like them both, specially Alien3 and even more after knowing all the backstage drama....Now Prometheus.

Ok narcissist!
;) But I do not necessarily love Yoshi games. Yoshi's Story was one of my biggest let downs ever (tied with BotW and Sonic 06) and Yoshi's Crafted World also was a painful step back from Woolly World. But New Island has well-made level design and the tried and true Yoshi's Island gameplay.

Surprised no one mentioned Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Dragonball FighterZ. MvCi wasn't doing itself any favors pre-release but that first DBFZ trailer just completely obliterated the game from existence.

Everytime someone mentioned MvCi, a commentary praising DBZ followed soon. Even today, almost 5 years later, it still couldn't manage to escape FighterZ's shadow

Surprised no one mentioned Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Dragonball FighterZ
MvC:I looked awful and would've been been badly received with or without FighterZ existing, because MvC3 was the real comparison point. It wouldn't have been so badly received without Capcom's dumb comments about the lack of X-Men maybe.

MvC:I looked awful and would've been been badly received with or without FighterZ existing, because MvC3 was the real comparison point. It wouldn't have been so badly received without Capcom's dumb comments about the lack of X-Men maybe.
Right, but then it got memed into oblivion by comparisons to DBFZ. Capcom dug a pit and dumped the game in it, DBFZ buried it.

Like, from what I remember Next Level actively wanted to do a Metroid game, and pitched concepts to Nintendo... Just to get stuck doing a Metroid game no one wanted to exist. That can't have been good for the devs.

I'm not convinced that game would have been received well either, if the aesthetics ended up resembling those seen in the concept art:

metroid_next_level_games.jpg

I definitely think this is better than what we saw in Federation Force, but it's way too out there for what would have presumably been a mainline Metroid title rather than a spinoff.

I get the feeling SMT5 will be assessed in very large part vis a vis Persona 5. For good or for bad, that’s the position it’s been driven into.

I think Pokémon X and Y have been affected by Sun and Moon in a perverse way. First iterations of Pokémon games can be a bit lacking and they get fixed in the third game. If we'd got Z which patched up the story and the postgame I think people would've been a lot fonder of it. Few people talking about Generation IV nowadays talk about Diamond and Pearl being a bit of a disappointment, they talk about how great Platinum is.

;) But I do not necessarily love Yoshi games. Yoshi's Story was one of my biggest let downs ever (tied with BotW and Sonic 06) and Yoshi's Crafted World also was a painful step back from Woolly World. But New Island has well-made level design and the tried and true Yoshi's Island gameplay.
I think New Island is pretty okay too. It does nothing new, but It's just "more Yoshi's Island" with worse music, so it's not a bad game. Just obviously doesn't hold up to YI itself if I had to choose between them.

Woolly World vs. YI would be a harder choice. I think Woolly is the best Yoshi game since 1995.

I find that ever since Super Mario Oddesey came out, 3D world has had a better reception online. The "3D exploration fans" finnaly got the game they wanted and no longer crucify 3D world for something it wasnt ever intended to be

I think New Island is pretty okay too. It does nothing new, but It's just "more Yoshi's Island" with worse music, so it's not a bad game. Just obviously doesn't hold up to YI itself if I had to choose between them.

Woolly World vs. YI would be a harder choice. I think Woolly is the best Yoshi game since 1995.

I fully agree. Been replaying YI on NSO, and it is a fantastic game with visuals that hold up to this day.

However! I think I like Wooly World better due to the customization with Yoshi, the secrets, and it makes collecting challenging BUT fun since if I complete a goal, I it counts as completed even if I did not complete the other two.

SSX 3 and 1080 Avalanche. All I remember about 1080's launch period were the unending (negative) comparisons to SSX. Which is a shame because it's a solid title. People were right that SSX 3 was better but not to the degree of pushing 1080 out of the conversation, which is what it felt like. Hardly anyone talks about it anymore, just the N64 original. It's a good game!

I actually have the hot take that ZTD made AI's reception better for those who actually played it. It's heralded as a "return to form" despite the gameplay consisting of timed puzzle things that are basically just trial and error, and probably Uchikoshi's least nutty plot twists. It received less criticism related to these things because it directly came after a game seemingly everyone hated.

This feels on point, AI is fine, but next to ZTD it's a masterpiece. I've never thought about it in the terms you put it in but it'd help make sense of the level of praise it's received.

Last edited:
I fully agree. Been replaying YI on NSO, and it is a fantastic game with visuals that hold up to this day.

However! I think I like Wooly World better due to the customization with Yoshi, the secrets, and it makes collecting challenging BUT fun since if I complete a goal, I it counts as completed even if I did not complete the other two.
I'm with you, and Woolly World kind of fits in this thread too. There's been so many vaguely disappointing Yoshi games since the original I'm not sure it got the audience it deserved. Woolly World is a masterpiece.

I'm with you, and Woolly World kind of fits in this thread too. There's been so many vaguely disappointing Yoshi games since the original I'm not sure it got the audience it deserved. Woolly World is a masterpiece.

As a Wii U truther, I’ve been dying for a Wooly World Switch re-release with some extras.

Woolly World is soooo good, easily one of the best WiiU games in my eyes. It also certainly coloured my view of Crafted World, which I found to be a major letdown in comparison. I'm sadly not capable of judging CW for what it is, without thinking back to WW and ending up being disappointed again within that specific context.

Back
Top Bottom