• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Europe Monthly Charts - May 2023: #1 NSW (+39%), #2 PS5 (+81%), #3 XBS (-16%)

www.gamesindustry.biz

Nintendo Switch sales up 39% across Europe in May | European Monthly Charts

PS5 sales continue to do well in big month for game sales

www.gamesindustry.biz
www.gamesindustry.biz

European GSD May 2023 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
2Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
7NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
8Dead Island 2 (Plaion)
9Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
10Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Ubisoft)
11Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
12Metro Exodus (Deep Silver)
13Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
14Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)
15Dead Island: Definitive Edition (Deep Silver)
16Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
17Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (Ubisoft)
18Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang)*
19Lego 2K Drive (2K Games)
20Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)

* Digital sales not included
Nintendo Switch overtook PS5 in May to become Europe's No.1 console once again, driven by the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Switch sales across Europe are up over 39% compared with May last year. PS5 had to settle for No.2, but it remains a strong force across Europe, and sales for PS5 are up 81% compared with May 2022.

Xbox Series S and X are in third position, with sales down 16% over May last year.

Overall, 429,000 games consoles were sold across tracked European markets in May, that's a rise of 40% over the year before (notable missing countries include Germany and UK).

Last edited:
It looks like Zelda is going to push Switch to a year over year increase this quarter which would break 2 years of declines. From April to June 2022 (FYQ1) Switch sold 3.43 million and if June is not terrible then Switch could achieve 4 million for the quarter. So far from the data we have:

UK: April up 30% yoy, May up 28% yoy
EU: April up 38% yoy, May up 39% yoy
JP: April 281k down 17k yoy, May 344k up 65k yoy, June 88k in 1st week up 27k yoy
US: April No.1 in units

Note: EU numbers don't include the UK and Germany

Year over year monthly percentage increases and declines for Europe in 2023

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16

PS5 is slowing down from that record breaking January to March, sales are still considerably higher than April and May 2022 though.

Last edited:
Remember all that talk about how Switch was about to fall off a sales cliff like the Wii?
I’ve only ever heard that as a supporting argument as to why Nintendo needs to release a hardware successor. It’s always been a flawed line of thinking haha.

Yes Phil, a single game can massively boost sales of a console.
Though I think we are very surprised that it’s by this much.
Remember all that talk about how Switch was about to fall off a sales cliff like the Wii?
TotK really did what Majoras Mask and Skyward Sword couldn’t. All three games are sequels to some of the most successful Zelda games, reviewed very well but didn’t move a lot of units late in their systems life.

TotK really did what Majoras Mask and Skyward Sword couldn’t. All three games are sequels to some of the most successful Zelda games, reviewed very well but didn’t move a lot of units late in their systems life.

The Nintendo 64's release schedule was too inconsistent for the console to confirm its good start and stand up to the competition. The Wii's target audience was too volatile for the console to confirm its phenomenal success beyond a mere fad. The Nintendo Switch has neither of these problems, appealing to a varied and heterogeneous audience and continuing to be regularly supplied with games for the time being.

However, the console is clearly slowing down. TOTK may top the chart, but it's one of only two Switch-exclusive games in the TOP 20, and the only one in the TOP 5. I'm surprised that the author of this article didn't take the opportunity to reaffirm that, after this swan song, Nintendo will stop releasing games and become a food truck.

Seems like the double team of Mario in April and Zelda in May have absolutely skyrocketed the Switch. Damn.

The Nintendo 64's release schedule was too inconsistent for the console to confirm its good start and stand up to the competition. The Wii's target audience was too volatile for the console to confirm its phenomenal success beyond a mere fad. The Nintendo Switch has neither of these problems, appealing to a varied and heterogeneous audience and continuing to be regularly supplied with games for the time being.

However, the console is clearly slowing down. TOTK may top the chart, but it's one of only two Switch-exclusive games in the TOP 20, and the only one in the TOP 5. I'm surprised that the author of this article didn't take the opportunity to reaffirm that, after this swan song, Nintendo will stop releasing games and become a food truck.

That's because Nintendo's digital sales are excluded, but everyone else's aren't.

That's because Nintendo's digital sales are excluded, but everyone else's aren't.
True, but that's always been the case, and it hasn't stopped the Switch from positioning more games in the top 20 before. That said, I wonder why they don't communicate on digitial sales. Is there a reason for this?

True, but that's always been the case, and it hasn't stopped the Switch from positioning more games in the top 20 before. That said, I wonder why they don't communicate on digitial sales. Is there a reason for this?
Right but in pure ranking without hard numbers presented, presence/absence on chart can have just as much to do with strength of competition vs strength of your own titles.

Nintendo just came off 3 Fiscal Years of >200M software sales, should be operating near that range again this year, and my hunch is that this current Apr-Jun quarter might be the best or 2nd best Apr-Jun period for the Switch's lifetime thus far (50,430,000 in Apr-Jun 2020 is #1).

As for why they don't share digital numbers, beats me. Seems like they don't want 3rd party trackers to have their eShop data, so they report total shipped+digital in their own quarterly reports but won't let regional trackers have that info (GFK/GSD in Europe, NPD/Circana in US). The NPD/Circana charts are especially useless, because not only is Nintendo digital missing, but now Take2 digital is missing as well since 2021 I think (they share the data but ask NPD/Circana to not include that data in the public rankings). GTA V sells 15-20M units globally each year (probably top-5 yearly) but ever since digital was pulled out, mostly fell out of NPD rankings by a technicality. If we got both Nintendo/T2, the NPD charts for the last 3 years would look wildly different.

Pour one out for the Series X, the best piece of hardware that Microsoft has put out, right when they decided they didn't really want to sell consoles all that much.

Yes Phil, a single game can massively boost sales of a console.
Though I think we are very surprised that it’s by this much.

Zelda Totk released a year later into Switch's life than SS did on Wii and 2 years later than MM did on N64 but it will sell comparable to it's predecessor unlike SS and MM which sold around half of their predecessors. I think the reason for this is that the Switch userbase is still very active and the majority of users are still playing and buying games, Software sales peaked in Switch's fifth year and it's sixth year was only 9 % down and in it's 7th year Nintendo forecasts 180 million. MM and SS released earlier than TotK did on Switch but software sales had already tanked and the majority of users had moved on from those platforms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom