• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Europe Monthly Charts - July 2023: #1 PS5 (+244%), #2 NSW (-9%), #3 XBS (???%)

Digital summer sales propels GTA 5 back to No.1 across Europe | European Monthly Charts​

The highest charting new game is Pikmin 4 at No.11

Christopher Dring avatar

Data by Christopher Dring Head of Games B2B
Published on Aug. 21, 2023
Follow Interactive Software Federation of Europe

11.6 million console and PC games were sold in July across Europe, up 34% over the same period in 2022.

Digital downloads represented nearly 7.9 million of that (up 60%), while physical was 3.75 million (up 0.2%).

This is according to GSD data, which includes digital sales from most AAA games publishers in every European country. It also includes physical sales of games in the big European markets. For the full breakdown of countries and publishers, see bottom of the article.

Major summer promotions on PlayStation and Xbox have transformed the charts, with Grand Theft Auto 5 back at No.1 and Red Dead Redemption 2 at No.3. Both Rockstar games were discounted on console last month, particularly on PlayStation formats.

The highest charting new game was Nintendo Switch exclusive Pikmin 4 at No.11 (please note, Nintendo first-party games do not include digital download figures). It may not look like a particularly strong debut, but for the first two weeks on the market, Pikmin 4 sales are up 81% compared with what Pikmin 3: Deluxe managed in October 2020.

In terms of hardware, 493,000 games consoles were sold across tracked European countries, which is 62.5% up over July 2022 but 2% down compared with June this year. Tracked markets are missing two key territories in Germany and the UK. UK hardware figures for July can be found here.

PS5 comfortably led the month in Europe, with console sales up 244% over July last year. There were strong price promotions on PS5 in July, and as a result sales were also up 24% over June. Overall, year-to-date PS5 sales are up 203% across the tracked territories.

Nintendo Switch finished the month in second place, with sales down 9% compared with July 2022. Year-to-date, Nintendo Switch sales are flat compared with 2022.

European GSD July 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2FIFA 23 (EA)
3Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
4Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
5Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
6The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
7The Crew 2 (Ubisoft)
8F1 23 (EA)
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
10NBA 2K23
11Pikmin 4 (Nintendo)*
12Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
13Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
15A Way Out (EA)
16Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
17Civilization 6 (2K Games)
18Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision Blizzard)
19It Takes Two (EA)
20Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
* Digital data unavailable

For some reason, gameindustrybiz did not include Xbox YoY this time around.

2023 Year over Year percentage increases/decreases by enpleinjour from InstallBase

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Q1+369-18-10
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16
June+116-2.3-0.8
Q2+118+23+1
July+244-9???

Last edited:
From awng782 on Installbase

Pikmin 4 vs Pikmin 3 Deluxe retail sales after 2 weeks launch-aligned:
  • Japan: +116%
  • Europe: +81%
  • UK: +57%
  • Spain: +110%
Pikmin 4 is definitely relatively weaker in the UK than elsewhere.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe is currently the best selling Pikmin game with 2.40 million units shipped globally as of December 31st, 2022.

Last edited:
The marketing for Sony is in the EU just really good. Kids love it. (a lot of teacher within family, they hear a lot of kids talking about how cool ps5 is)
Thats one of the things that Nintendo should adjust. Xbox marketing is also a disaster imo.

Good news for Pikmin 4 - was never going to be a massive seller but looks like it's heading for at least 4m+ lifetime sales worldwide (even an outside shot at 5m) which would be a fantastic result.

At this point, how the hell does Square Enix ever green light another non-mmorpg mainline Final Fantasy?

Yes I am being over dramatic, but this has to be a serious inflection point for them. It is clear that Final Fantasy needs to return to something more traditional for the series, and by traditional I mean build upon 1-10.

At this point, how the hell does Square Enix ever green light another non-mmorpg mainline Final Fantasy?

Yes I am being over dramatic, but this has to be a serious inflection point for them. It is clear that Final Fantasy needs to return to something more traditional for the series, and by traditional I mean build upon 1-10.
  • multiplatform day one
  • committing to either casting a wide net (open world, maybe some multi-elements) or lowering the budget
  • change the rpg gameplay to something a bit more contemporary: player choice-driven design (create a character, pen and paper-derived designs)

The marketing for Sony is in the EU just really good. Kids love it. (a lot of teacher within family, they hear a lot of kids talking about how cool ps5 is)
Thats one of the things that Nintendo should adjust. Xbox marketing is also a disaster imo.
I wouldn't say Nintendo's marketing is poor.

• multiplatform day one
  • committing to either casting a wide net (open world, maybe some multi-elements) or lowering the budget
  • change the rpg gameplay to something a bit more contemporary: player choice-driven design (create a character, pen and paper-derived designs)
So take the job system from FF5, a turn based combat system with tactics-level depth (with the option of AI controlled party members like FF12), a (preferably whimsical [like FFIX]) fantasy open world to explore, and a story structure that encourages choice and freedom.

Seems like a recipe for success honestly.

I wouldn't say Nintendo's marketing is poor.
Compared to sony it is. Sony ads are misleading imo (because they advertise games in a different way, less gameplay, more other things). They are targerting the device as beign cool if you have one. But also things like footbal. Its really reaching the mainstream in a different way. From my perspective and this not to trashtalk is that sony marketing is more "adult" which is why kids are falling for it because its cool. While nintendo marketing is more family ads which is less cool for kids or pubers. I remember in my age when i was 12 years old on how cool mortal kombat is during that time.

With that i dont want to say this or that console is for kids. Its just my opinion != fact

Back
Top Bottom