• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion eShop buying habits

bixente

Tingle
Let's say you bought Metroid Prime 4 from the eshop, leaving you $2 credit. Given your past activity, would you see if there's anything worth picking up on sale, or keep that credit for the future and let it built up over time?

I'm just wondering, as I'm hopeless at saving money, myself, and I have a compulsion to buy games when I'm on the eshop.

For what it's worth, you can get plenty of decent games for $2 or lower atm:

Death Squared
Super One More Jump
Golf Peaks
Cyber Protocol
Paratopic
Jade Order
Aloof
Grizzland
Circa Infinity
Mysteries under Lake Ophelia
Corridor Z

Let's say you bought Metroid Prime 4 from the eshop, leaving you $2 credit. Given your past activity, would you see if there's anything worth picking up on sale, or keep that credit for the future and let it built up over time?

I'm just wondering, as I'm hopeless at saving money, myself, and I have a compulsion to buy games when I'm on the eshop.

Strictly keep that credit for the future.

Stop buying games on whims. Stop shopping around for games at random. Buy the games you want, and if you have specific cravings for a genre then look what's out there, but that's it. Do not window shop.

I definitely buy games on whims that I may never get to, but more of a "Oh shit, this thing is on 80% sale and has never been that low before." rather than "I have some credit that must be spent today." I have a habit of buying a lot of eShop credit when it goes on sale places like Newegg and just loading myself up to cover whatever for the next months or year.

I know some people can only use eShop cards, but I always use my credit card to buy specifically the games I want for the exact price, so I never have any remaining credit. It was annoying back in the Wii days where you could only add credit in multiples of $5 and you couldn't spend your residuals because no game costed less than $5.

I'd save that for future games as it functions for a nice disccount. With that said, Super One More Jump is totally a good game and you should buy it

I always put stuff in my wishlist and wait for it to go on sale. I’m playing Pac-Man World Re-Pac after getting it for half off and even though I’m enjoying it, I’m glad I waited because it’s not the kind of game I would rush to play. I rarely buy games at full price unless it’s like, sub-$30 by default. Even Nintendo games I use vouchers when I can.

I tend to hold onto my credit, but I also wishlist games that seem interesting to me. So when a big sale happens, I can go in and potentially pick them up.

For me, time is a commodity as much as money can be. That keeps me from buying more games, even if I have more than enough loose change to afford it.

My eshop habit is that every few weeks I stick any recent releases that catch my eye on my wishlist. Then when there’s a big sale on, and if I'm not actively playing anything, I check my wishlist and usually choose whatever’s got the biggest discount.

I have a huge Switch backlog of unpurchased games. And another for the ones I haven't finished yet.

I've actually got a pretty good system going as far as my eshop habits go: I buy a lot of stuff digitally as is, leaving me with a pretty decent amount of gold points (I get a lot from Nintendo's own games especially, given how pricey they are), which I tend to use to get games I'm interested in (which I always add to my wishlist) for "free" when they're on sale. With this method, I've gotten quite a few games for "free". All of it third party though, since Nintendo's own games are still far too expensive to afford w/ gold points even on sale lol.

I pretty much never buy random cheap games on a whim.

I just build it up until I've got a good amount to spend on something I really want.
I have around £16 worth of credit atm and I'm planning to use it all on Ghost Trick when it comes out.

I leave small extra amounts like that to help for my next purchase, I don't spend it on really cheap small games or anything like that.
Usually I only buy a game if I've finished everything else on the console, though this current hyper max sale is going to make me break that rule. I'm just waiting to see if a Direct announces anything else before spending.

Strictly keep that credit for the future
Yup. More specifically I usually wait for something to go on sale before spending the dough. I already have a sizable backlog of games I've already bought that I've yet to play, I don't need to keep dropping stuff into gaming limbo.

For me, time is a commodity as much as money can be
Also this. There's not much point in spending the dough on games I won't be able to get to, anyway.

Remind me when I bought PS5.
I created a new PS account, telling myself:
it's a fresh new start.
I would 100% all the games I bought on this new account.
I would NOT bought games I would NOT play.

But I failed miserably. During the first 2 years of PS5, I only 100% 5 games but bought 80+ games, especially some games I already owned in my old account.

On Switch, I also do stupid things like these. Bought Ori 1 but didn't finish, yet still bought Ori 2 at launch.
I am looking forward to a fresh new start again.
When Nintendo next gen comes, I will create a new account and get a TRUE fresh start.

I keep the change in my account.

I dont want to dig through 50 pages of literal horse manure, with the incrdibly slow UI, and even slower loading of product pages, to find something interesting.

Dumping all discounts in one big through is the biggest disadvantage if the e-shop to me. I just add stuff to my wishlist that ive seen online and cross my fingers something will be on sale when I'm in the mood to buy something new.

A better e-shop would literally convince me to buy a new model switch. I hate it that much.

Every time I go on the eshop I scroll back and wishlist anything that looks interesting from when I last bought something. When stuff goes on sale I’ll see how much extra funds (eshop and gold points) I have set aside and if the price seems good I’ll pick some of them up. If stuff goes on sale and I don’t want it, I decide if I want to wait for it to go lower or if I’ll just remove them from the wishlist entirely. Works out well enough.

I developed a bad habit of buying eshop credit when it was on sale at Costco and just piling it up. Then I would buy games I had wishlisted or saved in my deku deals wishlist. Now I am sitting on a stockpile of games I have yet to play.

After buying the Zelda OLED and witnessing how long it took me to re-download all of the games I had purchased, I sort of had an epiphany and realized I needed to stop lol. Haven't bought anything since. Another thing I tell myself now is despite a game being on sale atm, I probably won't get to play it for quite a while. By the time I am ready to play it, it might be even cheaper given games generally get cheaper over time. This has helped me end my spending spree.

Strictly keep that credit for the future.

Stop buying games on whims. Stop shopping around for games at random. Buy the games you want, and if you have specific cravings for a genre then look what's out there, but that's it. Do not window shop.
That's sound advice but also Toree 3D and Toree 2 are like 1€ each

I force myself to tunnel vision eShop on days of big releases then paid required amount with Credit Card.

I also limit my sales exploration to every few months cause I know I'll impulse buy a bunch of stuff that I'll never even open.

It really is best to just not get into the habit of checking the store regularly. I like to keep a note in my phone of what’s coming up and hit the eShop release day, in and out. Save the gold coins!

I find that new games I want to play come out much too fast for me to play everything I might like. When I hear about a game I think I might enjoy, I add it to the wish list on the eshop. Then when I roll credits on whatever I'm playing (or maybe beforehand if I know the end is coming soon), I will flip through the 150ish games on my wish list and find my next game. Usually this involves seeing what upcoming games are on the schedule I want to be day 1 for and making extensive use of howlongtobeat.com. I try to only purchase games on sale, and of course I also like to space out the genres when possible. So that means leaning away from back to back metroidvanias or whatever. I also occasionally trim my wish list as I'll find that some of the games I thought looked interesting no longer interests me. Gold coins are typically spent on smaller purchases where it can cover the full cost, because I guess I'm a sucker for being able to say I got a game for free.

So that's my system. All I've really done is replaced a backlog with the eshop wish list and a smidge of discipline, but it works well for me.

For what it's worth, you can get plenty of decent games for $2 or lower atm:

Death Squared
Super One More Jump
Golf Peaks
Cyber Protocol
Paratopic
Jade Order
Aloof
Grizzland
Circa Infinity
Mysteries under Lake Ophelia
Corridor Z
It's always tempting to buy games, but saving the credit for future purchases might be a good idea.

I never know how much credit I have, it's just a little bonus saving when I get a game I was already planning to buy

Back
Top Bottom