• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Epic Saxophones in Videogame music (NSFW: Saxual Content)

JazzPotatoes

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
The saxophone has always been the suave, magnetic sexual dynamite of the instrument world, ever since Jazz musicians learned they could use it to pour liquid cool into listeners' ears.

However, less well known is the saxophone's ability to be totally fucking epic, being able to scream melodies like no other instrument out there. Case in point: the latest trailer theme for Tears of the Kingdom, courtesy of the latest trailer:

It's already been a pretty great trailer up to this point, but when that sax comes in at the 2:10 mark and starts wailing away like the end of the world is coming, that's when you know that things are going up a notch.

So Fami: What are your favourite examples of totally epic saxophone in videogame music? Hit me with that brass goodness.

Two big ones off the top of my head, alongside half of the MK8 OST that I'm sure others will get around to posting.

The sax ainā€™t here a lot in the song, but damn it hits hard

That is an easy answer that will get repeated throughout this thread, but I have to say it too: Mariokart 8.
The mix with Sax, Brass instruments and electric guitar makes it very unique and is still my most favourite Nintendo Soundtrack.

A german Late Night Show even randomly played the MK8 version of Big Blue in one of their shows:

I can't believe I never thought to make this thread myself. Bookmarking/tagging/saving/whatever all the cool kids are doing these days.

Yes, the saxophone can be used for epic, swooping soundscapes, and god does it ever sound good here, but there's a reason it's meant for those romancing, sudden-clothes-disappearing, sweet baby-makin' music.

It's a cryin shame it's only 47 seconds long.

Completely agree TC. The saxual content in that trailer was my favorite part about it, increases emotion so much

Also, you can never forget the GOAT

You can't talk about epic saxophones in video game music without mentioning Stormy Saxophone.

Really, just look up the arranged version of any Iori theme from a King of Fighters game from 96-2000 and you're guaranteed some of the best saxophone you've ever heard in your life. I'm not as familiar with the modern ones, but XIV at least absolutely lives up to that legacy.

So Fami: What are your favourite examples of totally epic saxophone in videogame music? Hit me with that brass goodness.
Iā€™ll be the pedant, but the saxophone is a woodwind and not a brass instrument. Love the thread though since jazz is my jam.

Iā€™ll share some great Zelda covers by The Consouls:

Bonus since it doesnā€™t have sax but is so good:

Fam, I've got that feeling: this thread is giving me saxual healing.

Another contribution for people to vibe along to:

Not a video game but this music from the Nintendo Switch Presentation in 2017 - a sizzle reel of all the games coming to the console.

Definitely foreshadowed saxual content in later Switch titles.

Not a video game but this music from the Nintendo Switch Presentation in 2017 - a sizzle reel of all the games coming to the console.

Definitely foreshadowed saxual content in later Switch titles.

Damn, I wish I could figure out who this is but Shazam gave me like three different results

From Gravity Rush 2, Night Gale. More so the second half at around three minutes:

I totally forgot about the epic sax content in Gravity Rush 2, hell yeah! This track is also a VIBE when you're in the high area:

The SAX at 0:40:

Once Sierra started putting their games out on CD it was only a matter of time before Al Lowe, himself a jazz saxophonist and former music teacher, would get actual sax in the Leisure Suit Larry games. And boy did they deliver with the "7th" game:

Back
Top Bottom