• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Endless Ocean Luminous — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story is probably a bit less involved than Blue World, given how little of the focus seems to be on it, but I think it will probably be comparable to EO1, which is serviceable. You'll probably be hunting down some mythical creature and saving this "World Coral" thing. I do kind of hope that Story mode being its own file type means that it might have its own map that has some specific set-pieces and locations, but I am not exactly confident it will, given the nature of the "Veiled Sea".

Collectables and Mythicals will definitely be a joy to hunt down, and that was some of my favorite stuff in Blue World. My big worry at this point is how unique the locations are going to feel if they are "random". Again, it will probably be more in line with EO1's group of locales (depths, shipwreck, ruins, cave) rather than something as crazy as, say, Valka Castle in Blue World.

Anyways, nothing was ever going to keep this from being day one for me. I don't normally play multiplayer games either, but I have plans to play this with a friend or two online and I'm very excited about that prospect.

By the way, you might remember that this game features different sizes for the fish and that there's a bunch of clips or screenshots of "small" fish, but never large. Well, in the spanish version of the overview trailer, the "large" tag was also confirmed. "Large" Megalodon here I come!

It is super weird that there was an option on the selection screen for story (with a notification dot) and they just didn't mention it at all

Yeah, I understand pushing multiplayer for this kind of game, but I don’t understand pushing it this hard, even to the seeming exclusion of details on single-player content that at least seems to exist.

But whatever, we’ll find out why in a couple weeks either way. I assume they either have very limited faith in the popularity of that side of the game, or not very much confidence in its scale/quality, but they very well could just be underselling it or even saving it for one last trailer.

They are definitely underselling it. Blue World never, in any of its trailers, made any mention or showcase of the story or the npcs, so this just seems like it is how Arika proceeds; At least this time around we got a confirmation on a story before release, so there's that. So since they are so secretive about a bunch of stuff, let's hope the aquarium and the dolphin partnerships are still in. I can deal with the removal of dolphin training, but I still want my own dolphin friends with their names. Randomly swimming alongside a bunch of fish that will probably just end up sight-blocking or terrain-clipping or causing weird glitches when swimming through tight spaces is not good enough for me.

Quoted by: Tye
They are definitely underselling it. Blue World never, in any of its trailers, made any mention or showcase of the story or the npcs, so this just seems like it is how Arika proceeds; At least this time around we got a confirmation on a story before release, so there's that. So since they are so secretive about a bunch of stuff, let's hope the aquarium and the dolphin partnerships are still in. I can deal with the removal of dolphin training, but I still want my own dolphin friends with their names. Randomly swimming alongside a bunch of fish that will probably just end up sight-blocking or terrain-clipping or causing weird glitches when swimming through tight spaces is not good enough for me.
Hmm, if that was the case with Blue World, then I guess I could see them doing the same with Luminous. And it does make sense, given that the main appeal of this series seems to be discovery—much like Tears of the Kingdom, and Nintendo was similarly secretive about many elements of that game prior to launch—so I suppose withholding further details and letting players discover it all for themselves wouldn’t be unusual in that case. Still, I wouldn’t assume anything either way for sure just yet.

Hmm, if that was the case with Blue World, then I guess I could see them doing the same with Luminous. And it does make sense, given that the main appeal of this series seems to be discovery—much like Tears of the Kingdom, and Nintendo was similarly secretive about many elements of that game prior to launch—so I suppose withholding further details and letting players discover it all for themselves wouldn’t be unusual in that case. Still, I wouldn’t assume anything either way for sure just yet.

Just for reference, this is Blue World's "overview" trailer:

There are technically teases at the story with the sequence right before the title screen, and the last clip with a lot of whales, but that's something you don't actually know it's part of the story until playing it. Also I just realized you can see one of the crew members in the Walrus sequence.

I would honestly be mad if staples like the aquarium or the dolphin partners are gone, or even something as basic as caressing or feeding the fauna. If they are gone, this game should not be called Endless Ocean, to be honest.

Last edited:
Just for reference, this is Blue World's "overview" trailer:

There are technically teases at the story with the sequence right before the title screen, and the last clip with a lot of whales, but that's something you don't actually know it's part of the story until playing it. Also I just realized you can see one of the crew members in the Walrus sequence.

I would honestly be mad if staples like the aquarium or the dolphin partners are gone, or even something as basic as caressing or feeding the fauna. If they are gone, this game should not be called Endless Ocean, to be honest.

So yeah, while it doesn’t explicitly detail the story and all the game’s features, that video does show stuff that is still nowhere to be seen in Luminous so far, like non-player human characters and traversing on land.

Regardless, games within a series change and evolve all the time, sometimes at the cost of dropping some features for others, so I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it shouldn’t be called Endless Ocean, but I can understand disappointment in missing features from past installments for sure.

Personally, I’m really wondering what’s up with the islands on this map:

modal_ocean_thumb01.webp

They seem to clearly indicate the existence of above-water land, but can we actually explore those islands out of the water or not? It’s just really weird that that hasn’t been shown at all if it really is possible…

They seem to clearly indicate the existence of above-water land, but can we actually explore those islands out of the water or not? It’s just really weird that that hasn’t been shown at all if it really is possible…

In Blue World, the maps had those pieces of land too, but then there were others with a pink color. You could only go ashore on those. Hopefully, they just ditched the pink-coloring this time and you can just go ashore on any piece of land visible in the map. Otherwise, that would mean the removal of seabirds, polar bear, marine iguana, and seeing penguins and seals just chilling on land, which is, after all, realistic.

In Blue World, the maps had those pieces of land too, but then there were others with a pink color. You could only go ashore on those. Hopefully, they just ditched the pink-coloring this time and you can just go ashore on any piece of land visible in the map. Otherwise, that would mean the removal of seabirds, polar bear, marine iguana, and seeing penguins and seals just chilling on land, which is, after all, realistic.
Well, that fact that we haven’t seen any of that yet does make me suspect that it doesn’t exist in Luminous… I also saw someone point out that many of the fish models used in Luminous appear to be reused from some mobile fishing game that Arika made years ago, which I assume didn’t have any of those animals in it, either… Doesn’t mean they can’t still surprise us, of course, but I’m not gonna be expecting it (and that way it will be a surprise if that stuff does indeed exist in the game).

With this game releasing soon, do we know if there will be previews and when the review embargo is? Since TTYD previews are supposedly coming next week, I wonder if we could get previews for this game next week as well or if we'll just get reviews the week after.

I'm genuinely curious as to why they've decided not to show any seals or penguins in absolutely any of the trailers, screenshots or website models. It almost feel on purpose. They must be in because A) duh, they can't just completely cut out those animals and B) there's a penguin and a seal emoji for those stupid online avatars. But I don't know.. it's strange, like, I definitely would have shown a whole family of penguins chilling on an ice sheet or some seals in one of the sequences of the trailers, instead of spoiling so many prehistoric animals, for example.

Last edited:
there's a penguin and a seal emoji
Oh, good catch! So I guess it is likely that they’re just avoiding showing stuff like that in the prerelease trailers for whatever reason. I hope that means that above water exploration is a thing to some degree, though I could also see it being the case that you can only see penguins and seals swimming in the water…

Oh, good catch! So I guess it is likely that they’re just avoiding showing stuff like that in the prerelease trailers for whatever reason. I hope that means that above water exploration is a thing to some degree, though I could also see it being the case that you can only see penguins and seals swimming in the water…

There's also a Zebra emoji, go figure.. lol.

There's also a Zebra emoji, go figure.. lol.
Huh…so it could mean nothing then, ’cause I certainly wouldn’t expect any zebras in the game, lol. Also, where did you see these penguin, seal, and zebra emote tags? In the overview trailer, I only see a penguin, but that one’s actually not even an emote tag, it’s a rank icon.

> As per our banned content policy, please do not link to far right YouTube figures like Josh Thomas. - Lord Azrael, xghost777, NabiscoFelt, IsisStormDragon, Zellia, Party Sklar
Huh…so it could mean nothing then, ’cause I certainly wouldn’t expect any zebras in the game, lol. Also, where did you see these penguin, seal, and zebra emote tags? In the overview trailer, I only see a penguin, but that one’s actually not even an emote tag, it’s a rank icon.

MOD EDIT: Video removed

At 6:00 you can see the zebra head above, and a little white seal around the middle of the whole menu. In the reveal trailer that same white seal can be seen as a rank icon of one of the online players, so maybe some of those are shared between both features. For the penguin it was the rank icon what I meant, yeah.

MOD EDIT: Video removed

At 6:00 you can see the zebra head above, and a little white seal around the middle of the whole menu. In the reveal trailer that same white seal can be seen as a rank icon of one of the online players, so maybe some of those are shared between both features. For the penguin it was the rank icon what I meant, yeah.

I wanted to watch the video, but under no circumstances am I giving TheBitBlock any clicks. He is a white supremacist.

Jesus fucking christ people, I did not know nor care about Josh's political ideologies, I just watch him because I find him funny.

Why so aggressive? No one was accusing you of knowing about it, in fact I assumed you didn't know, because why else would you post a video from him on famicom of all places. You absolutely SHOULD care about his far right views, though, because in the past he used his reach to propagate them and influence his overwhelmingly young viewers. We are at a turning point in history, there is a war being fought between progressives and moderates on one sides and literal nazis on the other, in which social media platforms are used to spread lies and brainwash people. And it works, because many, many people are gullible and don't factcheck anything. This may sound dramatic to you, but in the last few years we have seen how far right leaders have dismantled or weakened democracies in Poland, Hungary and the US for example and Putin is using those far-right parties all over the world as his mouthpiece to gain power and weaken the global West. I am fucking terrified about the future.

Why so aggressive?

Because I've only been on this forums for one month and I've already received 3 mod warning for stupid reasons and it's starting to get on my nerves. I just won't post any videos again because I refuse to look with a magnifying glass if the creator of that video has any ideology that goes against human rights. Nothing against you.

Jesus fucking christ people, I did not know nor care about Josh's political ideologies, I just watch him because I find him funny.
OIP.yZ2GQSFvPUAR598k18CF9QAAAA

You don't care about sharing a monetized video of a well-known white supremacist on the basis that it's funny?

OIP.yZ2GQSFvPUAR598k18CF9QAAAA

You don't care about sharing a monetized video of a well-known white supremacist on the basis that it's funny?

No, I don't care, why should I let what a random youtuber thinks affect me? I've unsuscribbed from his channel, if that means anything. Now, can we please let bygones be bygones? I was jus trying to help a fellow user with info and I'm tired of politics.

No, I don't care, why should I let what a random youtuber thinks affect me? I've unsuscribbed from his channel, if that means anything. Now, can we please let bygones be bygones? I was jus trying to help a fellow user with info and I'm tired of politics.

Notice how all of your responses to the moderators' actions have been about what you do or don't care about. Here's the deal, this is not about you or your preferences. This is about signal boosting a white supremacist in a community that clearly is not in support of signal boosting white supremacists. And honestly, if you care about the future of society and the communities of which you're a part, then it is in your best interest, going forward, to avoid signal boosting people who actively aim to the dismantle the core values of society and communities that you hold dear. Just some food for thought.

EDIT:

And while you think you don't care about politics, you likely care about the consequences of politics. If some of those consequences are undesirable for you, maybe you should start paying attention to politics to see how you can make those consequences work in your favor.

Last edited:
Between Earth Day happening on 4/22 a couple weeks before release, the themes of this game, and Nintendo not having a retail release in April, I wonder if Nintendo considered tying the marketing/release of this game to Earth Day more closely at some point. Seems like some very small missed potential, but I also could see at least one downside.

I wonder if any mythical creatures from previous games will make an appearance? I'd figure they'd find a way to fit at least the Ancient Mother in there somewhere, probably, since it was in the first two games. Also it would certainly be an easy creature to implement, considering it is more or less a re-color of a blue whale.

There are some fun ones in Blue World, but none I'd consider super iconic. Maybe the Singing Dragon or the Okeanos's Guardian?

Considering Blue World had 26 Legendary/Mythical creatures... and Luminous has about 200 more species total than Blue World did, I'd say we're probably looking at at least 30-40 mythicals? Especially since there has been a consistent focus on it in the trailers.

I wonder if any mythical creatures from previous games will make an appearance? I'd figure they'd find a way to fit at least the Ancient Mother in there somewhere, probably, since it was in the first two games. Also it would certainly be an easy creature to implement, considering it is more or less a re-color of a blue whale.

There are some fun ones in Blue World, but none I'd consider super iconic. Maybe the Singing Dragon or the Okeanos's Guardian?

Considering Blue World had 26 Legendary/Mythical creatures... and Luminous has about 200 more species total than Blue World did, I'd say we're probably looking at at least 30-40 mythicals? Especially since there has been a consistent focus on it in the trailers.
From what I’ve seen other people point out, Ancient Mother has already been confirmed, as she seems to be present in this screenshot on the game’s Japanese website, and presumably you can use that Ocean ID to visit her yourself. Apparently a number of other returning legendary creatures have been spotted in trailers or screenshots, too, but as someone who hasn’t actually played the Wii Endless Ocean games, I’m not really familiar with them myself.

I’ve also seen observations and speculation based on information from screenshots and trailers that some of the 578 species have variant forms, and that legendary creatures appear to be listed as variants rather than separate species (kinda like how alternate forms of Pokémon aren’t counted as separate Pokédex numbers), so it would seem that that 578 number does not include legendary creatures—those would be in addition to that count!

From what I’ve seen other people point out, Ancient Mother has already been confirmed, as she seems to be present in this screenshot on the game’s Japanese website, and presumably you can use that Ocean ID to visit her yourself. Apparently a number of other returning legendary creatures have been spotted in trailers or screenshots, too, but as someone who hasn’t actually played the Wii Endless Ocean games, I’m not really familiar with them myself.

I’ve also seen observations and speculation based on information from screenshots and trailers that some of the 578 species have variant forms, and that legendary creatures appear to be listed as variants rather than separate species (kinda like how alternate forms of Pokémon aren’t counted as separate Pokédex numbers), so it would seem that that 578 number does not include legendary creatures—those would be in addition to that count!
Nice catch, I must have missed that!

If that is the case that mythicals are listed as variants rather than separate species... there's going to be a LOT of creatures to find in this game...

Why so aggressive? No one was accusing you of knowing about it, in fact I assumed you didn't know, because why else would you post a video from him on famicom of all places. You absolutely SHOULD care about his far right views, though, because in the past he used his reach to propagate them and influence his overwhelmingly young viewers. We are at a turning point in history, there is a war being fought between progressives and moderates on one sides and literal nazis on the other, in which social media platforms are used to spread lies and brainwash people. And it works, because many, many people are gullible and don't factcheck anything. This may sound dramatic to you, but in the last few years we have seen how far right leaders have dismantled or weakened democracies in Poland, Hungary and the US for example and Putin is using those far-right parties all over the world as his mouthpiece to gain power and weaken the global West. I am fucking terrified about the future.

Sir this is an Endless Ocean thread, what is this post lmfao.

This is like the time a certain YouTuber (don't know if I can say his name on here) started talking about his republican family in the Switch 2 Discussion thread.

Sir this is an Endless Ocean thread, what is this post lmfao.

This is like the time a certain YouTuber (don't know if I can say his name on here) started talking about his republican family in the Switch 2 Discussion thread.
I know who you're talking about. Please don't bring his name up.

I have such fond memories of Endless Ocean: Blue World--though I never did get to play the original.
Preordered Luminous last night, though! Really excited for this one! :D

Unfortunately I don’t think we’re getting a demo at this point, otherwise it would have been announced alongside the overview trailer. Nintendo’s already giving away a free 7-day trial of Nintendo Switch Online with the game, anyway, so perhaps they see that as already being a “demo” of sorts.

Haven't been following this at all, so this is probably answered, but what's the ID on that map?

I assume that that map is randomly generated and the ID acts as a seed for others to play it, but is that right?

Haven't been following this at all, so this is probably answered, but what's the ID on that map?

I assume that that map is randomly generated and the ID acts as a seed for others to play it, but is that right?

There's two answers here funnily. The Shared-Dive ID (six digits, letters) on this map screen is simply your current online session code; it's what you'll share to friends to get them into your active dive.

PVqa0dm.png

But seperately, and currently only shown in the Japanese marketing, there is an Ocean ID (16 digits, numbers) and THAT is the randomized ocean seed which you'll be able to share, or use yourself, to revisit that specific ocean layout; just need to have filled in 80% of that ocean's map to unlock the ID.

modal_ocean_thumb01.webp

or use yourself, to revisit that specific ocean layout; just need to have filled in 80% of that ocean's map to unlock the ID.

That would imply that an especific ocean layout could reappear multiple times keeping your map-uncovering progress, right?

I do kind of like the idea of special map IDs getting rolled out or distributed that have special creatures in them, kind of like Pokemon events. I do wonder if this game will receive substantial updates over time? Given the online-leaning nature and Arika's history with games like Tetris 99, I could see some updates throughout the game's life (though they might be limited to cosmetics and emotes).

Guys, I think this goes without saying, but if new images, or new creatures or stuff like that get leaked these coming days by early-buyers or insiders or something, please I beg of you to put it into spoilers if you post it. The last thing I need from a discovery-oriented game is more things spoiled.

Only one more week!!

I guess this game isn’t getting previews like Paper Mario just got, huh? Ah well…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom