• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Endless Ocean Luminous — Pre-release Discussion Thread

IMG-6326.jpg

Nice

Not exactly expecting high marks. Mainstream gaming outlets aren't exactly known for taking kindly to games where the point isn't something typically game-y. Which was already a thing we went through for the first one, where EGM made a point to grand stand about dissing "non-games" for several months, entirely spurred on by their apparent dislike for what Endless Ocean represented, in spite of giving Forever Blue 2 a positive review as an interesting import title.

The IGN review is extremely fair with regards to what the game is trying to do, lol.

a lot of the review criticisms from the handful I skimmed do seem to boil down to not being interested in the core gameplay of simple exploration and fish-looking, so I’m of course not sweating middling scores at all really

that said, my biggest concern with this game when it was first shown was the procedural generation aspect—I want to explore an interestingly-designed world in a game like this, rather than a bunch of prefab elements plopped onto a square map—and this review goes fairly in-depth on the world design:

doesn’t sound ideal! even the story mode maps, which are apparently the same for all players, still have the same limitations and feeling of stitched-togetherness.
idk! I still wanna play it, but mostly this makes me want to check out the other two games on the Wii instead

I guess it should have introduced survival mechanics? Not really sure what endless ocean could become nowadays besides that or another Abzu I guess

As a person new to the franchise, I'll need to see/read impressions from someone who enjoyed previous entries. I want to know how this compares. The reviews I've seen so far have pushed me back to skipping this game for now.

Pretty much what I expected. First two games didn't get great reviews either. These are niche games with limited appeal and most people will find these games to be boring, while I really like them.

I just hope Arika is alright, I guess it's gonna be mainly 99 games from here on...which isn't a bad thing mind you. Was nice to see something different though

The IGN review is extremely fair with regards to what the game is trying to do, lol.

While it sounds like it doesn't live up to Blue World whatsoever, it still looked like to me that they complained about having to spend a lot of time swimming aimlessly in a relaxed, non-threatening environment and learning little tidbits about sea-life while occasionally finding little treasures. That's the core of the game. It's just mostly chillin'. While it would've been nice if the story had more going on, it sounds like the reviewer was mostly frustrated that they wanted to force progress to happen and couldn't, in spite of them not even enjoying playing that way.

The disappointment at the procedurally generated environments seems pretty fair though. That was a big thing I was worried about from the start, since even if it technically means there could, in fact, be "endless" ocean to swim in, generated stuff tends to lack character and sense-of-place. Was really hoping the Veiled Sea was just a major, mysterious, location and not the only one.

a lot of the review criticisms from the handful I skimmed do seem to boil down to not being interested in the core gameplay of simple exploration and fish-looking, so I’m of course not sweating middling scores at all really

that said, my biggest concern with this game when it was first shown was the procedural generation aspect—I want to explore an interestingly-designed world in a game like this, rather than a bunch of prefab elements plopped onto a square map—and this review goes fairly in-depth on the world design:

doesn’t sound ideal! even the story mode maps, which are apparently the same for all players, still have the same limitations and feeling of stitched-togetherness.
idk! I still wanna play it, but mostly this makes me want to check out the other two games on the Wii instead

Yeah, the focus on procedural generation is definitely disappointing compared to EO2's more globetrotting feeling. That's been one of my concerns since the first announcement, with the hand-made locations based on rough real world approximations and finding region appropriate sea life being a big appeal. Not to mention the larger cast of characters who all have their own little things going on, which this game seems to lack. While the core of the game seems intact, the context was part of the fun as well, so having it just be mostly randomly generated is kinda disappointing. Even the first game, which also just had the one story NPC, at least made the Manoa Lai Sea feel like a tangible place and made you wonder how some of the treasures ended up where they did and all that.

Remember, the Endless Ocean games on Wii did not review well either, but they ended up being beloved by many who played them. This type of game just doesn’t review well. If you like the idea of a calming, chill experience of exploring the ocean and observing fish, you’ll probably love the game. If that’s not something you think you’ll enjoy…then you’ll probably find it boring.

what was the score?
Not all reviews have scores; I don’t believe that one did (which is the way it should be, honestly). Reviews scores don’t really matter, anyway, especially for games like this.

I'm not sure what to think on the reviews. Some of the negatives are about what I expected, but some of them definitely read like "I am not a fan of what this game fundamentally is, so it's boring."

Honestly, my biggest concern was the set-pieces not feeling unique enough which sounds like it might be the case? Which is a bummer, but that hardly ruins the game for me. Excited for it all the same, it sounds like the sense of discovery will be great.

Also, I’ve not read any other reviews yet beyond the first one I shared last night, and I’m unsure if I want to read more or not, but can anyone tell me if the following things have been confirmed now or now (in spoiler tags if you want)?
  • Vocal songs like the first two games
  • Animals like penguins, polar bears, etc. that don’t live primarily in water
  • The ability to explore or observe islands above water
I don’t need any of these things, but I’m curious if they’re in the game or not!

is anyone doing an ST for this?
I should have time to put together a quick one tonight (though if anyone else is interested, please let me know and go for it! you will probably do a better job)

Also, I’ve not read any other reviews yet beyond the first one I shared last night, and I’m unsure if I want to read more or not, but can anyone tell me if the following things have been confirmed now or now (in spoiler tags if you want)?
  • Vocal songs like the first two games
  • Animals like penguins, polar bears, etc. that don’t live primarily in water
  • The ability to explore or observe islands above water
I don’t need any of these things, but I’m curious if they’re in the game or not!
the answer to the first one is definitely no, haven’t seen indication either way on the second, and several reviews have mentioned the only gameplay is the dives and doing things in menus, so I’m taking that as an implicit no on the third

the answer to the first one is definitely no, haven’t seen indication either way on the second, and several reviews have mentioned the only gameplay is the dives and doing things in menus, so I’m taking that as an implicit no on the third
Thanks! Honestly I’m not too disappointed about the lack of vocal music. Probably makes more sense, anyway. From what I understand, the vocal songs from the Wii games were licensed music, and I’m always in favor of cutting licensed music where it isn’t really necessary because it just leads to issues like games being delisted in the future or not ever being rereleased due to licensing costs.

Still very curious about penguins and such, though…

I should have time to put together a quick one tonight (though if anyone else is interested, please let me know and go for it! you will probably do a better job)
that would be great (y)
STs don't really need to be elaborate, just some general info and a witty subtitle is all that's needed

Y’know, I know I said I didn’t think I would make an ST by launch before, but I’m feeling particularly motivated now, so I think I’ll put one together today after all if that’s okay with you! Unless you’ve already started and want to finish, but otherwise I can save you the work if you want!

Y’know, I know I said I didn’t think I would make an ST by launch before, but I’m feeling particularly motivated now, so I think I’ll put one together today after all if that’s okay with you! Unless you’ve already started and want to finish, but otherwise I can save you the work if you want!
yes please go for it!!

Back
Top Bottom